Looking for over ear headphones that will work with my iPhone (no amp and less then $100) - Any suggestions?
Jan 6, 2012 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

iliveinalaska

New Head-Fier
Completely new to all this and a bit confused with all the terminology and whatnot...

I'm looking for full size headphones that will run off my iphone that are less then $100

I had been leaning towards the Sennheiser HD428s, simply because you can pick them up for $50 right now... but some people complain the iPhone isn't strong enough to power them to their fullest capability. I don't want them to be shockingly loud, rather something to put over my ears while I work on the computer at a coffee shop. Bieber's new album is coming out soon and I want to be able to listen to it with a decent set of cans.

Any suggestions or idea would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

Ps. please tell me one of you fell for my bieber joke... ha!

Jan 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #3 of 4
Update to my search -

Use - Listening to music via my 3GS iPhone while working on the computer at a noisy coffee shop or a quiet library.

Type of music - Everything under the sun.

Option 1 - Sennheiser HD 280 Pro with either the fiiO e5 or e6

Option 2 - Sennheiser HD 448 with either the fiio e5 or e6

Option 3 - Sennheiser HD 428 with either the fiio e5 or e6

Notes - I understand the 280s are studio headphones, but the fact that they have up to 32 db attenuation of outside sound is very appealing and the fiiO should provide what my iPhone cannot. The 448 or 428 is almost a toss-up without having looked at them side-by-side. I read online that the fiiO e5 may have a better build quality for some and a few persons have mentioned that there's more of a boost in bass, whereas the e6 just increase the volume. I do like bass, but I'm not a teen that needs to be blasted away. I've tried the 428s vs the klipsch image ONE (and the skullcandy aviator since it was right there) plugged directly into my iPhone, and the klipsch headphones were more to my taste when it comes to the bass... however I'm assuming the results would be far different if I added a a fiiO into the picture.

Question - Would the 280's impedance at 64 ohms play any role in my decision making, with respect to option one (280s plugged into the e5 or e6 plugged into my 3GS iPhone)?

Thanks,
Bryan

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 4
If you want to skip the amp, then get the JVC HAM750. It is 32 ohms and 115 db/mw, so it is one of the most efficient headphones available. It has received great reviews. it is around $41 on Amazon. It is full sized, closed, circumaural, and has 40mm drivers.

Many find the HD280 to be too large and uncomfortable, as it has strong clamping force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back