Looking for over ear headphones <=$200
Jul 5, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #47 of 58
My HP150's only travel from home to the office and back.  I use IEM's when out and about/travelling, mostly due to space concerns as I have a bunch of electronics with me when I travel. Finding space for a full sized headphone is difficult.  And yes the HTC One is more powerful than most phone headphone outputs. I specifically chose it so I could roll with just a phone when I don't want to lug around the E12A.  I second the idea of keeping the Dunu's for travel and picking up a home pair.  

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #49 of 58
I love my home stereo too, I run a multi-amp setup in the living room.  My neighbors don't take too kindly to after hours reference level listening, that's where the headphones come in.  The level of fidelity I can achieve with my top end phones and primary desktop amp easily rivals any home theater/stereo I have listened, including systems in the 10,000+ range.  Neither is better than the other in my opinion, both have different strengths that I thoroughly enjoy.

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #52 of 58
Now that I am thinking I actually tried the Blue Mo-Fi at Best Buy and they sounded really good and were quite comfy, with their built in amp I could use them on any device no problem and not have to have a separate DAC/Amp and the price would be the same as buying a DAC/Amp and good headphones, I am really close to picking them up.

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #53 of 58
The physical experience, realistic soundstage and imaging is wholeheartedly what I like about stereo vs. headphones.  Planar bass is great but it doesn't come close to dual 12" subs with a 1000 watts RMS behind them.  I haven't gotten my hands on a Mo-Fi yet but from what I've read and your intended purpose I think it would be a good fit.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:26 AM Post #54 of 58
Biggest thing to me is that listening to a good stereo is a full body experience, you feel the bass in your chest etc which headphones obviously can't rival.

The Subpac S2 is on my list of things to try. On other forums music producers have been saying its great for mixing and monitoring bass response. I want it so that I can get that stereo bass feeling with headphones so that I don't wake my entire house when listening to music.

Jul 7, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #56 of 58
Decided to say screw it and ordered the Blue MoFi, will see how they are and return them if I don't like them.

Nice! Be sure to tell us your impressions :)

I like the concept of the built in amp. If all audio devices (portable included) could standardize on providing a line out option, I think we'd see more headphones with built in headphone amps like this. Why not? Same principle as powered monitors.

Jul 26, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #57 of 58
OK, update, Blue MoFi sounded good and were comfy, for a little while, then they started to be uncomfy after 30 minutes or so, too much clamping force even at the lowest setting so they had to go back.

I ordered the SoundMagic HP150 and they are great, sound good and can wear them for hours at a time so they're a homerun for me. I also ordered the Fiio E11K with them and it works well, i can use it on low gain for most stuff but have to use hi sometimes which is perfectly OK as well, so with the iPod, E11K and HP150 i have a good setup.

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #58 of 58
That's too bad the Blue MoFi was too heavy, but glad the HP150s worked for you. I think they are a great headphone for the price :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back