Looking for over ear headphones <=$200
Jun 30, 2015 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

bose301s

100+ Head-Fier
Going on a long couple of trips in the close future and would like some on ear headphones. I currently have a couple pairs of IEMs, the Dunu DN-1000 and Aurisonics Rockets, I think I prefer the Dunus to the Rockets because they have more bass and treble, the Rockets are very mid centric. The biggest issue for me is that neither pair are comfy for long periods of time so i want something i can wear for a 10 hour flight.

With that in mind are there any good over ears for <=$200 that may give a similar sound to the Dunu? I had been driving everything with my OnePlus One but just today ordered an iBasso D-Zero MK2, which i could always return for a DAC/Amp better suited for over the ears. Hopefully there's something good out there.

Jun 30, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 58
Just to be even more clear these are for on the flights, so i writings assume closed back would be best and to specify better i am looking for over ear/around ear/circumairal headphones, not on ear.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 58
I would recommend a used QC15 (Bose QuietComfort 15) due to its excellent comfort, active noise cancelling, and exciting sound. Most people don't know that you can replace the stock cable with a normal headphone cable, which dramatically improves its sound quality. If you need help or specifics, just ask.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 58
I would recommend a used QC15 (Bose QuietComfort 15) due to its excellent comfort, active noise cancelling, and exciting sound. Most people don't know that you can replace the stock cable with a normal headphone cable, which dramatically improves its sound quality. If you need help or specifics, just ask.
my brother had the original QC headphones way back in like the early 2000s, they bothered him and me both when the noise cancelling was activated, almost felt like a negative pressure or vacuum on your ears, that's really the only way to describe it and that bothered me too much for me to have looked at noise cancelling headphones since. Maybe the newer models don't do this and in that case I'd check them out but if they still do that i can't do them.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 58
my brother had the original QC headphones way back in like the early 2000s, they bothered him and me both when the noise cancelling was activated, almost felt like a negative pressure or vacuum on your ears, that's really the only way to describe it and that bothered me too much for me to have looked at noise cancelling headphones since. Maybe the newer models don't do this and in that case I'd check them out but if they still do that i can't do them.

The QC15 still has that pressure, but it's only slight. Probably nowhere near as bad as the one you tried.

If you want passive isolation instead, the NVX XPT100 is the best I've used for that, and very comfortable, but unfortunately, I don't like the sound. Plus it's a little large, which could be an issue for flights.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #7 of 58
Maybe I'll see if i can give the QC25 a try and see how they compare with that pressure thing and assume the QC15 will be similar.

I heard the QC25 has much less of that "pressure" feeling than the QC15, but it's out of your price range. I owned the QC15 for years, and after awhile, I got so used to the pressure that I never even noticed it, especially when music was playing.

Jul 1, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #9 of 58
I have not heard the DN1000, but based on Innerfidelity's measurements, perhaps you are looking for a headphone with a somewhat bassy sound signature: http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/DunuDN1000.pdf

Perhaps you could find a deal on some NAD HP50s?
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/NADVISOHP50.pdf

And would you be interested in open headphones?

Jul 1, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 58
Dunus are pretty v-shaped but highly detailed, sooooo a super comfortable over ear with good noise isolation and comfortable for days with a shimmery detailed treble and banging baseline, Beyer DT770 or M50X. I like the M50x more due to smoother highs but comfort and isolation goes to the Beyer by a landslide and the 250 ohm version is $195 on amazon new

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #11 of 58
I wouldn't mind something less v shaped than the Dunu, something a bit flatter would work as well as less bass emphasis, the Dunu definitely have booming bass, and a bit too much.

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #12 of 58
Massdrop has the ATH M50x for $120+$7 shipping if you are in the U.S. they maybe just what you're looking for. Just one day left on drop.
Soundmagic HP150 are good too and under $200

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 58
+1 to Soundmagic HP150, very good as well but i worry about the comfort i dont think id wanna wear it for 10 straight hours. M50x i have worn for that long and quickly got used to it. Plus its cheaper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back