Looking for over ear headphones <=$200
Jul 3, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #31 of 58
I know you said you've narrowed down your options but I'm all for the SoundMagic HP150.  I have not owned the DUNU's but I don't think you will be disappointed in the HP150.  It's relatively flat with a boost in the sub-bass (30-40 hz) and slightly elevated treble that gives a flatter V sound.  HP150 is currently $178 on Amazon with prime shipping available.

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:58 PM Post #33 of 58
The HP150s are not very sensitive, so they may not get loud enough for you without an amp.

But note that the iBasso dac you bought has an aux in/out jack. So you should be able to use it to amplify your phone's headphone jack.

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #34 of 58
I can drive them with anything I have listed in my profile, including the phones.  If you listen extremely loud a phone may not be sufficient depending on the model you have.  They are 32 ohms and sensitivity is 95+-3db, so relatively easy to drive.  I am a big proponent of amplification for all headphones for the purposes of driver control.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #35 of 58
I can drive them with anything I have listed in my profile, including the phones.  If you listen extremely loud a phone may not be sufficient depending on the model you have.  They are 32 ohms and sensitivity is 95+-3db, so relatively easy to drive.  I am a big proponent of amplification for all headphones for the purposes of driver control.

I had a Note 2, which would not drive the HP150s quite as loud as I would like, and a Nexus 6, which does OK for my listening volumes, but probably not for someone that likes to really crank thinks up loud on occasion. My LG Pad is too weak. I see you have the HTC One. That phone has been measured at 1.2 Vrms, which is a good bit more powerful than the norm for your average Android device.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #37 of 58
  OK, I will say it's between the HP150 and Momentum then, does anyone have experience with both to compare them?

I haven't heard the HP150, but based on what I have read, I would guess it would sound better, though perhaps not necessarily to your preference. It's bound to be more comfortable, at the least.

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #38 of 58
I know the Momentum has great reviews but so does the HP150. I tried the Momentum 2 at Best Buy and they were fairly comfy and fit fine, but I don't know if they are better than the original Momentum. Still a difficult decision.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #41 of 58
I know the Momentum has great reviews but so does the HP150. I tried the Momentum 2 at Best Buy and they were fairly comfy and fit fine, but I don't know if they are better than the original Momentum. Still a difficult decision.

I have the hp150 and the Original Momentums, they are polar opposites in ergonomics and use case, and sound signature is vastly different too. Hard to compare them both really, dunus are bassy and bright, the sound magics are like that too, v-shaped recessed mids. While the Momentums are warm midbassy with relatively forward mids and soundstage is closed in sounding more like an on ear or in ear than even the Dunu does, which is what I like about it on the go. HP150 are better home headphones IMO. Hope that helped a bit

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #42 of 58
I have the hp150 and the Original Momentums, they are polar opposites in ergonomics and use case, and sound signature is vastly different too. Hard to compare them both really, dunus are bassy and bright, the sound magics are like that too, v-shaped recessed mids. While the Momentums are warm midbassy with relatively forward mids and soundstage is closed in sounding more like an on ear or in ear than even the Dunu does, which is what I like about it on the go. HP150 are better home headphones IMO. Hope that helped a bit

Do you know which is better at blocking outside noise? Again trying to use these for travelling and you just argued for the Momentums for travelling.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #43 of 58
Do you know which is better at blocking outside noise? Again trying to use these for travelling and you just argued for the Momentums for travelling.

That's because they were meant for exactly that. HP150 are big and heavy, with a pretty strong clamp so the isolation is better on them, and they are indeed harder to drive. Momentums do good at everyday isolation but haven't travelled with them, for me both headphones get uncomfortable after about 2-3 hours.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #44 of 58
That's because they were meant for exactly that. HP150 are big and heavy, with a pretty strong clamp so the isolation is better on them, and they are indeed harder to drive. Momentums do good at everyday isolation but haven't travelled with them, for me both headphones get uncomfortable after about 2-3 hours.

To me any and all headphones or IEMs or anything really get uncomfortable after 2-3 hours. After all this I'm debating if I should just stick to the Dunu as they sound great, will definitely isolate better than any over ear and last comfortably for me about the same amount of time.

Jul 4, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #45 of 58
To me any and all headphones or IEMs or anything really get uncomfortable after 2-3 hours. After all this I'm debating if I should just stick to the Dunu as they sound great, will definitely isolate better than any over ear and last comfortably for me about the same amount of time.

Thatd be the sensible thing to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back