Looking for over ear closed back headphones to use while playing games for $120 USD or less
Sep 10, 2017 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

leonir

New Head-Fier
Hello,

The headset I used to use for playing games on my computer, the Logitech G35, recently broke. Due to that, I am searching for a replacement. Through the research I have done, I found that I would be better off purchasing headphones and an attachable microphone rather than a gaming headset. I need the headphones to be over ear, closed back, and decently isolated as I'd rather be able to mostly block out the talking of my family in the background and my family doesn't really want to hear my games. I don't need the headphones to support virtual surround sound as I won't use it (the version of it built into the Logitech G35 made me feel, for a lack of a more descriptive term, weird when it was turned on) nor does it need to emphasize footsteps or anything like that. While I play some multi-player games that would benefit from that, I'd like them to work best with single-player games that I plan on playing in the future like NieR:Automata, Metal Gear Rising, Metal Gear Solid V, and the upcoming A Hat in Time. These are games in which I would like to enjoy the music and sound design. I am unsure of what sound signature works for me as I've never had the opportunity to hear the differences between them, but I think that I'd like to aim for a neutral sound signature. My overall budget for the headphones is $120, as stated in the title.

However, that budget must also be used to purchase an attachable microphone. From my research, there are two options.

1. For $30, the V-MODA Boom Pro Gaming https://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-BoomPro-Gaming-Headset-Headphone/dp/B00BJ17WKK

2. For $50, the Antlion Modmic https://antlionaudio.com/products/modmic-4

The first option is cheaper, but it only works with headphones with a single detachable 3.5 mm cord. The second option is pricier, but it appears to work with most headphones.

I've already tried a headset and a set of headphones.

The headset was the HyperX Cloud Revolver for $120. I admittedly bought this without doing much research at first, and I've found that it's definitely not for me. It's open back with no isolation and tight enough to the point where I get a headache. The only parts I did like were the ear cups and soundstage. There were also some notes that sounded off in a few game songs I listened to using the headphones, although I'm not sure if I just wasn't used to the soundstage or if the sound signature was something I didn't like. I am definitely returning these.

The headphones I tried were the NVX XPT100/Perfect 10 for $76. These I bought after doing some actual research. They didn't sound all that much better than my Logitech G35s, but they were mostly comfortable (they too were a bit tight, but I figured that the tiny amount of tightness that I felt would go away over time with wear). However, its biggest flaw was that it would only work with the Antlion Modmic, which would put me a tiny bit over-budget. I am considering paying that extra amount though, but I wanted to make sure that there weren't better options first. I also forgot to test the isolation before boxing them back up, so I don't know if they will absolutely work for my purposes just yet.

I've also read Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming guide, but I found that a lot of the suggested headphones were open back and that it hasn't been updated for a year, so I decided to post here to hopefully find some more suggestions.

Thank you for any help that you may provide.

Sep 10, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #2 of 3
Never heard these, but I'll quote someone else who has recommended them for the good bass. just $10 over budget.

Maybe check out a SoundMAGIC HP151. It has a bit of a bass emphasis and sounds great across the rest of the spectrum. Definitely recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back