Looking for Open, Over-ear. <$150
May 29, 2011 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

flush

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I recently started working at an office so I need headphones that are extremely comfortable.

I'm not a fan of closed-ear because over time it seems to get a bit hot and moist (gross). The office is quiet, so sound isolation isn't really an issue anyway.

I have always been a fan of speakers over headphones. I own a Swan D1080MkII and I really like them.

I have been eyeing the Sennheiser HD555s, but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. I am willing to stretch my budget slightly for significant increases in performance. Really, I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. The more money I can save while having great sound, the better.

One concern I have with the HD555s is durability (cracking).

I'm also very open to buying used (as long as it's in great condition).

I do not own an amp. Let me know if it is worth getting one with some headphones in this price range.

Thanks all.

May 29, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #2 of 12
Is isolation really not a factor? I understand the workplace is quiet, an open headphone means you also make noise, maybe your collegues would mind?

If that's not a real factor, AKG k-240s could be very nice

May 30, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 12
The 555's should do you as good as anything in the price range for an open hp. An amp will improve the sound though, especially one with a built in usb Dac, so as to bypass the computers soundcard and cheap (they all are) headphone out. The fiio E7 is a cost effective solution for this and has proved to be very popular.    

May 30, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 12
I had asked the same thing about the cracking issue on hd555, 595, 558 and 598's and the general consensus was that only some of them crack, most don't and they have a great warranty to support that even if they did so there's really no concern about it. Sennheiser makes wonderful headphones so buy with confidence.

May 30, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 12
ATH-AD700's. 
atsmile.gif

May 30, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 12
I just went to Guitar Center to check out the sound signatures of each brand. I'm definitely steering clear from AKGs and am still liking Sennheisers. I also liked Audio Technicas. I'll do a bit more research but I'm leaning heavily to the HD555s.

May 30, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
ATH-AD700's. 
atsmile.gif

I'm convinced more than half of head-fi'ers are stealth marketers for Audio-Technica. lol

I came here to see what's better than the AD700. 

I like my Denon D2000 OK, but I've just had more time with the Audio-Technicas and I guess they've just had more time to break in.  Their bass isn't so bad anymore.

Really wish somebody around me had the AD900, some Beyers, and an MS-1.  Think I've gotta try the Beyers and the MS-1 before I get to the AD900, tho.??

Might get the MS-1 just for the hell of it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back