Looking for open headphone with K271 characteristic
Nov 9, 2010 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mr-teatime

New Head-Fier

Hey guys, I looking for an open upgrade/companion to my K271 and need some advice.

I‘m currently consuming my music through AKG‘s K271 MKII out of an uDAC2 (plus active Tannoy Reveal studio monitors as speakers) – that said, I prefer a neutral almost cold and analytical monitor character with a decent soundstage but without any boomy bass. 

I tried to figure it out on my own, but there are simply to many variables ...

I‘m really pleased with my little rig and don‘t plan to invest in any further amplification in the near future. This would exclude hard to drive cans like the AKG K601 and the HD 600.

I was thinking about the HD 595, but I guess this one would not fit my preferences – I read that it is a bit heavy on the bass?

Today I‘ve been in a store to check Grado‘s SR225i, but I don‘t like the build quality or rather the type of build really. So, this would exclude Grado/Allesandro then ...

I guess you get the price range I‘m kind of looking for ...

Could the DT 880 fit the bill? (Considered at the very upper end of what I want to send.)

Any suggestions are much appreciated ...

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 4
Maybe try the K701? I thought the K271 when I had them were actually more difficult to drive than the K701s...I think I got more bass out of the K701 than the K271 out of the same Ibasso D10, but take my words with a grain of salt. it's been awhile seen Ive had either of the two headphones

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #3 of 4
the K701, really? i thought, that you need a really powerful amp to drive them properly, but i try to check their sound in a store if i can find one ... thanks!

any general recommendations for brands i could look at? Maybe there are some more obscure i didn't come across yet?

from what i understand, akg could deliver the sound i'm looking for, but needs good amplification. Sennheiser is likely to be a bit full/bold. Beyerdynamic? Denon? AT???

Thankful for every bit of information ...

Nov 10, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 4
@wind016

i was doing some homework - and wow, i wasn't aware that i'm underpowering the k271 that much!

i think the udac brought a big improvement in response and clarity, but cant actually say if it is because of the dac or the amping. also i noticed that they were getting much richer after a decent burn-in period ...

what are easy to drive cans then, i really wonder ...
any ideas for cans compatible with the udac's amp section? 

i guess, i will follow you suggestion and try to hunt down a k702 and maybe in on year time an additional amp ... 

but still looking for (more affordable) alternatives

Users who are viewing this thread

Back