Looking for open back planar to complement my ZMF VC

Which do you think is the best option given the circumstances listed in the comment below?

• Caldera

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Diana phi/tc

• Diana v2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • He1000se

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • LCD-4

• LCD-5

• Other (please comment)

• Total voters
May 30, 2023 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

some dude

Head-Fier
I currently have a ZMF VC and a few different amps. I have a woo wa7 gen 2 with tube psu, Burson Conductor 3XR, and a chord mojo 2. Im open to selling the Burson to get another beefier tube amp depending which planar I get.

I know I want something with a ton of detail. Preferably something that has good bass, decent mids, and great highs. Since the VC is the only real high end cans I’ve owned I’m not really sure how other headphones really compare. I don’t want something extremely similar because then what would be the point of adding it?

Some things I have been considering used or new so far but I’m open to suggestions:

ZMF Caldera
Diana TC/V2
HE1000se
LCD-4/LCD-5
(insert your opinions here)

I might swap my mojo 2 for a rme-adi 2 fs to get a more feature rich EQ if I get anything other than the caldera. If I get calderas I might sell the Burson and the mojo 2 to buy a cayin HA-6A or something kinda like that. I can’t really put ears on anything and this would be a pretty big purchase so just trying to hear opinions from people who have more experience with these headphones or headphones on this sort of level.

May 31, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #2 of 3
Detailed open back planar that is dissimilar to, but complementary of, the VC? The Abyss 1266 TC is the ticket, IMO. The mids are a bit recessed (though Mitch's filters help with that), but mids are what you have the VC for, right?

May 31, 2023 at 6:24 AM Post #3 of 3
Detailed open back planar that is dissimilar to, but complementary of, the VC? The Abyss 1266 TC is the ticket, IMO. The mids are a bit recessed (though Mitch's filters help with that), but mids are what you have the VC for, right?
True but the 1266 isn’t on my list for the same reason the Susvara isn’t, they are just too expensive. All the headphones on my list besides the caldera you can usually find either new or used for about $1500-$2500. I made an exception for the caldera because ZMF has the Affirm payment option to spread out the damage over time a bit. Besides that I’m not too sure if the torture rack is right for me or not, I usually listen laying down and that thing more or less just kinda hangs on your head I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back