Looking for new in ear head phones for around $30
May 19, 2011 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BravoSector

New Head-Fier
For the past 2 to 3 years, I've been using Sony-MDREX36V as my primary earphone for the ipod. The right ear piece gave out without warning a few minutes ago. I've been really happy with these in ears and I probably will buy the same pair as a replacement, however I'd like a second opinion from someone more experience than I. All I really want to know is whether I should get these again or if there is a better earphone I should try for the $30 price range. I've heard that the Sony MDR-EX51 are better but I'm obviously open to any make or model.

Thanks.

May 20, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 13
Brainwavz B2?  You sure you don't mean something more like the Brainwavz M1?  The B2 is well over $100.

Still, in this price range, the M1 would probably be a solid choice, but I don't know anything about the Sonys so I can't really comment more on it.

May 20, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #4 of 13
Also,Head-Direct RE0, eyes closed also...
Ok sorry for the Brainwavz, made a mistake, it is the M2... I bought them, as i bought the Soundmagic PL 30, the buds are quality sound made, the only thing you'll have to know is if i should put a colour for the sound producted on these asian buds, the colour will be red... It is warm...have to know it i think ...if you have more money, Sennheiser is great, but highest products... and i cannot remember one buds pair, i just bought last week, the Sony Mdr500 something, in ear, at about 50€, well, my Soundmagic PL30 are better ! In terms of details. It is for sure warm, but acceptable, because my ears takes habitude, and when i try something else, then i come back to the soundmagic, like i did when i bought the Sony's in La Fnac, at Montparnasse, i am really unhappy of them, the treble are horrible, and sony developed these earphone for Mids and Mids and Mids...For half the price, really, really, really...
These sony are a D thing bad to my ears, with a bad D signature i dislike...
I am reallyreally about to buy EVERY earphones of the Mee Catalog, because i am searching for FUN audio, positive audio until 10 years ! Not because i am listening to Lady Gaga new album, I DONT ! But because i need a perfectmade accessorie for Deadmau5 (have to try this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2PM5iTlmRE) -random album title.mp3 album and Jaytech audio,(have to listen to this German prodige : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYNi-mcNdV0)
Then i want something solid when i switch off from my Marantz at home and continue with my Palm Pixi outside without the possibility to havea sennheiser IE 6,7,8 buds, empty pockets 4 now ! !
I also love buying new stuff before departure to Eilat during summer holidays.... I love that, i did it with the Soundmagic PL30, buying and receivind them before going to holidays, with my iPad, fantastishhhh ! Love it, love it, love it !
Ps: add me on facebook if you like electronic music, i'll send you great sound and links from European producers.... Gallouin Gregory, Versailles, France. I'll be happy to add you on my worldwide contact list. Excuse my synthaxe, i am writing on an iPad, not that easy.

May 20, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 13
Unfortunately those recommendations are a bit out of my range. I'm mainly looking for a good quality yet still durable pair to last at least a year with a lot of wear and tear.

I've found these for cheap, any opinions?

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX200-Twist-Earbuds-Powerful/dp/B001EZUQ5E/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

May 23, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 13
Hey so I found the MEElectronics M6 which are available on Amazon for $20. These used to be about as expensive as the brainwavz and Sennheisers. They also seem to be getting amazing reviews for their price. Now that the price is about ten less than what those reviews talked about, these seem almost too good to be true. Is that a possibility that there may be something sketchy going on if they're only $20?

Also though, what do people think about the M6s as a good replacement for my Sony's?

May 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Hey so I found the MEElectronics M6 which are available on Amazon for $20. These used to be about as expensive as the brainwavz and Sennheisers. They also seem to be getting amazing reviews for their price. Now that the price is about ten less than what those reviews talked about, these seem almost too good to be true. Is that a possibility that there may be something sketchy going on if they're only $20?

Also though, what do people think about the M6s as a good replacement for my Sony's?

I've had the Sony headphones in the OP.  I switched over to the 38iPs after the headphone jack split on my 36v and they went through the washer and dryer (but still worked for months afterwards :)), my friend eventually pulled on the cable while using them though :frowning2:.  The 38iPs are exactly the same as the 36v, so I don't have to go from memory.  The M6 has a lot more bass then the 36v/38iP.  The M6 also has a little harsher treble.  I actually found the 38iPs to be quite balanced with the bass and mids (the treble was recessed, but audible).  The M6 is nothing like the 36v, I'd rather have the 36v over the M6 (for the balance you get, that's just me though). 

May 23, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks for the reply, that's actually really helpful. I am really considering getting the Sony's again, and that's most likely what I'll do. Even though I do want to branch out and try different brands too. Anyway, thanks so much.

May 23, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 13
  Meelec have loads of earphones under $30 and they have excellent customer service should anything go wrong. 

If you like bass, the M9 is $25 I think and is an old favourite.

http://www.meelec.com/category_s/358.htm

But hey if you liked the Sonys then no harm is sticking to what you like!

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, that's actually really helpful. I am really considering getting the Sony's again, and that's most likely what I'll do. Even though I do want to branch out and try different brands too. Anyway, thanks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back