Looking for new headphones under $150
Oct 25, 2010 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

tominated

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

I'm currently looking for a pair of headphones for use with my iPhone, and possibly a Mini^3 amp in the future.

I've never actually owned any proper cans - just a few pairs of IEMs; the sennheiser cx300, UE SuperFi.4 and Klipsch Custom 3's. I have tried a friend's closed sennheiser headphones (don't remember which model, but they were closed), but didn't like the airy sound compared to IEMs.

I like reasonably punchy bass, but not overpowering. I listen to a reasonably large variety of different music such as Nine Inch Nails, Muse, LCD Soundsytem and the Prodigy. Most of my music is encoded in m4p lossless (i have the flac files, but the iphone doesn't support them).

I have been looking at the Grado SR80i, and the Alessandro MS-1 (which seem to be very similar, with the MS-1 being better), but I'm not so sure yet. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks heaps in advance!

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:19 AM Post #4 of 38
Ms1i's are easily driven by mobile devices...they do leak a bit, so on the bus the dude next to you, behind you...the driver, can hear your tunes...if you have it loudish...

The Fiio E5 is a great little, entry level, headphone amp, and its cheap, but not anywhere nasty..

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 38
For your music the MS-1i will do great (they're great all-rounders btw).

However, you may be a little bit disappointed with them when you get them. The MS-1s don't have much soundstage and as such don't differ much from good IEMs. Other headphones such as the HD600, DT880 etc do have that full-size sound so you might want to stretch your budget a little and get something like that. It will be a shame however to not have them properly amped...

What would really be a good idea is to get the MS1000 that is now being offered in the F/S forums. They have the sound of the MS-1 with the soundstage the size of a K701. I have a pair myself and I love them!

Oct 27, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #6 of 38
Crap Guys. I literally just paid for them. I wish I looked at this a couple of minutes ago.

Oct 27, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #7 of 38
Man dont fret,  With good quality music, the sound is awesome...

Oct 28, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 38
I´m rockin´ my MS1i´s at the moment with HD600´s lying idle next to me. They just sound so energetic and punchy! They sound way better than they cost. Don´t worry, you won´t regret your purchase.

Oct 29, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #9 of 38
OK, that's a relief. I just emailed asking about the shipping time to Australia, and they said it usually takes 3 weeks! I wish I had chosen express shipping now :/

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 38
Where did you get em from?
And what state do you live in?

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 38
My friend has the old MS-1's and I think they are fantastic for the price. You won't be disappointed. The only concern I have that I am surprised nobody mentioned yet is you mentioned your iPhone will be a primary source... meaning you would be listening to these on the go? Grado/Alessandro's are excellent but probably the last thing you want to have for walking around with. Since they are open they are extremely noisy to the people around you and do not isolate much if even at all. At home listening though they are great.

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 38
Yeah they do leak a bit..but hey...the public can get their own.

DT440 will get best performance with an amp.
MS1i is easily driven from portable devices.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #13 of 38

Quote:
Where did you get em from?
And what state do you live in?

I'm getting them shipped down to Australia from alessandro-products.com. At least it isn't 90 days, like some countries.

Quote:
My friend has the old MS-1's and I think they are fantastic for the price. You won't be disappointed. The only concern I have that I am surprised nobody mentioned yet is you mentioned your iPhone will be a primary source... meaning you would be listening to these on the go? Grado/Alessandro's are excellent but probably the last thing you want to have for walking around with. Since they are open they are extremely noisy to the people around you and do not isolate much if even at all. At home listening though they are great.

I'll probably stick to using my klipsch custom-2s when listening on the bus and whatnot. These are mainly for home, and maybe at school (soon to be uni) or work.

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 38
$150 delivered from www.headphonics.com  takes about 5 days to reach you..

Any how, it dont matter now.....just be satisfied that you will soon receive the famous Grado Pizza box.
Enjoy...

What source will you use for the MS1i's?

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 38

Quote:
$150 delivered from www.headphonics.com  takes about 5 days to reach you..

Any how, it dont matter now.....just be satisfied that you will soon receive the famous Grado Pizza box.
Enjoy...

What source will you use for the MS1i's?

In hindsight I should've gotten them from headphonics, but I wanted the extra savings. The source i'll be using is either my macbook pro or iphone. I'mm thinking about getting a Mini3 amp kit from glass jar audio, also. I haven't been able to find the parts cheaper on any aussie electronics shop, and GJA has free shipping

Users who are viewing this thread

Back