Looking for new headphones (gaming, music)
Aug 31, 2010 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

havox

Head-Fier
Well my AD700s right driver crapped out on me so I'm back looking for new headphones. I liked the ad700s sound being a bit more light and airy but am looking for a change. I would like something with a bit more bass and I'm not the best at explaining but something a bit richer, kindof like listening to the beats display in stores, really I'm not too picky other then wanting more bass.

My current setup is onboard computer audio to my audio-GD compass via USB then to headphones.

I have around $300 to spend on headphones, maybe a bit more and as I assume I will need an amp that's another $300 I have to spend which still isn't much. The only headphones I'm not too interested in are Stax because of their looks and they are hard to find used which is really the only way I could afford em. I plan on buying used to save money.

The headphones will be used for mmorpg gaming and first person shooters, I also listen to some pop and rap music. They will last be used for watching movies and television shows in HD on my computer

Sep 1, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 16
Might was to check out the Beyer DT880s.  Good soundstaging for games, with more detail and bass the the AD700s.

Sep 2, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 16
I am considering upping my price range a fairly large amount since the LCD-2s seem to have caught my eye due to many raving reviews, I would only be able to afford a cheap amp then around $250 which there are a few recomended in the LCD-2 thread. Though i don't know if these headphones would work for gaming, I'm sure they would suffice my music needs

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
I am considering upping my price range a fairly large amount since the LCD-2s seem to have caught my eye due to many raving reviews, I would only be able to afford a cheap amp then around $250 which there are a few recomended in the LCD-2 thread. Though i don't know if these headphones would work for gaming, I'm sure they would suffice my music needs

Haha, you should never buy cans that expensive without trying them out. I know not everyone can get their hands on thm but you should know how much you like them before you get them, you might hate them, that's would be a complete waste of money and time.

Also: More money = better, your sound will only be as good as your lowest quality component, so it makes no since to spend a fortune on a Headphone and connect it to an amp that is much cheaper.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 16
Yeah I guess im over extending myself, the main problem is I know of no place near where i live in canada where i can try on quality headphones (niagara falls) I was just thinking it may be best to buy good headphones and a decent amp then in a few months spend a grand or so on an amp, any other ideas I up my original budget some

Quote:
Haha, you should never buy cans that expensive without trying them out. I know not everyone can get their hands on thm but you should know how much you like them before you get them, you might hate them, that's would be a complete waste of money and time.

Also: More money = better, your sound will only be as good as your lowest quality component, so it makes no since to spend a fortune on a Headphone and connect it to an amp that is much cheaper.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Yeah I guess im over extending myself, the main problem is I know of no place near where i live in canada where i can try on quality headphones (niagara falls) I was just thinking it may be best to buy good headphones and a decent amp then in a few months spend a grand or so on an amp, any other ideas I up my original budget some

Your the second person today to ask me that, and honestly I have no idea about canadian stores. Start by going to local electronic stores, try out the ones you can while your there. If you have any music stores they should have something, I know for a fact that my local guitar center had plenty of headphones to test they were nice about it too.

Other then that try to go to a meet, or just start small and get some easy driven headphones, usually the cheaper the phones the easier it is to drive so you won't need a crazy amp fo rit to runnice. The higher the priced the headphones the better set up you need.

But sometimes you just need to spend money to find out what you will like, and if that's the case your gonna need an idea about the type of headphones you are interested in. So if you'd like to give me and idea I can maybe point you a direction for you.

Sep 2, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #8 of 16

Your the second person today to ask me that, and honestly I have no idea about canadian stores. Start by going to local electronic stores, try out the ones you can while your there. If you have any music stores they should have something, I know for a fact that my local guitar center had plenty of headphones to test they were nice about it too.

Other then that try to go to a meet, or just start small and get some easy driven headphones, usually the cheaper the phones the easier it is to drive so you won't need a crazy amp fo rit to runnice. The higher the priced the headphones the better set up you need.

But sometimes you just need to spend money to find out what you will like, and if that's the case your gonna need an idea about the type of headphones you are interested in. So if you'd like to give me and idea I can maybe point you a direction for you.

Yeah I'll have to look around and see of there's anywhere I can try some since I've only ever heard ad700s TF 10 and beats. I am looking for a warmer headphone then my ad700s. Something with more bass and less airy. Looks like the DT880s are a good option unless I go for something a lot more expensive. Any amp recommendations for around $300?

Sep 2, 2010 at 5:43 PM Post #9 of 16
Well I bought a pair of Shure 840s today to try out since futureshop has a great return policy and can say there not my favourites-Probably doesnt help i don't have an amp other then the built in one in my compass, anyways i'm not a fan of the small earpads and I find them very uncomfortable, especially the headband, Last I don't really like that they are closed, Open i much prefer! I do like them, they have a decent amount of bass, a bit more would be nice though, i like how they sound warmer then my ad700s and less airy, overall they will be going back once i get a new pair, hopefully dt880s unless I can get something better for around $600 max

Sep 2, 2010 at 7:18 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
How much better are the dt880s in comparison with the ad700s?I've read the rear positioning is inferior to the ad700s is that true?

I don't know for sure.  I never got to test a pair under those circumstances.  I'd assume it's pretty good though.  I do know the positioning on the DT990s is awesome though so I'd assume the 880s should be good as well.  I didn't recommend those because I their flavoring might not be for everyone.  The OP would probably love the bass on them, but the excessive treble isn't to everyone's tastes.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #12 of 16
if your looking for headphones for gaming/music/movies, I can't recommend the HD-555 headphones enough.  They are absolutely stunning at everything I've throw at them.  They really are the best price/performance ratio set I have seen.  I am new to the audiophile world so I may not know much like the dt880's i am sure sound much better but they are almost 3x the price.  Amazon is selling the HD-555 for 109.00 with free shipping.  That is a pretty fantastic deal.  Anyways, if you just want a headset for gaming, I can't recommend the Logitech G930's, I had them for a day and hated the closed ear design as well as the squeezing on my head.  If the HD-555 had a volume control and wireless on the headphones, it would be awesome.  That is about all that is good on the G930's.  However, the best specifically for gaming headset I ever owned were the Razer Barracuda's.  They are a little less than the HD-555 set, but they were much better in gaming I think just because of the 5.1 surround.  Don't get me wrong the HD-555 are still awesome clarity in gaming, I just felt the Barracuda's had better positioning and overall variety of sound in gaming.  The HD-555 were way better in music and movies though.  I was thinking about getting the HD-595 set, but for a lot cheaper, I made my HD-555 sound like those or at least close to them.  So, if your looking for just a gaming headset, get the Barracuda's (they are discontinued but you can still get them on eBay).  If you want something for all around greatness, get the HD-555 headphones, you won't be dissapointed.  Make sure you at least do the foam mod to them though if your not going to do the soundstage mod like me.  The foam mod is easy.  Hope I helped after my story.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #13 of 16

Quote:
Bump up for any other reccomendations, also, which version of the dt880s should I get? I see this is a pro model and then others like 600 ohms

The 600 ohms would be great if you had a nice beefy amp( like me and my 130w speaker amp) If you lack a good amp then look into the lower Ohm Version, I doubt you will hear a difference and it will sound better on a less powerfull set up.

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 16
Possibly, look into older 2.1 recievers or Amps, mines a Pioneer SA-730 which was manufactured back in the 80's. This thing runs anything like a champ, and I'm about to pick up a set of 2.0 pioneer speakers which match this amp so I should have some fun with that.

I got this for free from a friend, maybe someone you know would have something they don't want any more. Otherwise Ebay, Craigslist, For sale forum, and even pawn shops are all good places to look. If it's your first and only amp just get something that will work don't the 600ohm 880's aren't nearly cynical enough to point out the flaws of your components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back