Looking for new closed headphones - Budget £100-£150
Aug 22, 2010 at 11:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

EternalEmpire

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using the Sony V6 for quite a while now and I've enjoyed them while I've owned them but I think it's about time for me to look for an upgrade.

The main requirement is that the headphones are closed because there's a lot of noise in my house so open headphones aren't an option. My primary genre will be metal (the more extreme/obscure ends) though I will also be listening to some rock and techno, etc so the headphones should be able to perform well for a variety of genres.

I don't own an amp so I'd prefer a headphone that doesn't need amping in order to sound good.

I'm going to set my budget at £100-£150, I might raise it to £160 if it's absolutely necessary but I'm not looking to spend any more than that.

Any replies are appreciated, thank you.

Aug 23, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 8
This review :
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/
looks at most of the candidates likely to be recommended here; you'll find different opinions here of course 
wink_face.gif

Incidentally, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (or ATH-M50s with straight cable) are £118 with a free Audio-Technica CK-51 IEM from MusicMatters at the moment; looks a good deal. The Sennheisers in the review would probably fit in the upper end of your budget.

Hopefully that'll get the ball rolling... 

Edit : just see from dv247.com that Sennheisers not as expensive as thought. 

Aug 23, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
This review :
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/
looks at most of the candidates likely to be recommended here; you'll find different opinions here of course 
wink_face.gif

Incidentally, Audio-Technica ATH-M50 (or ATH-M50s with straight cable) are £118 with a free Audio-Technica CK-51 IEM from MusicMatters at the moment; looks a good deal. The Sennheisers in the review would probably fit in the upper end of your budget.

Hopefully that'll get the ball rolling... 

Edit : just see from dv247.com that Sennheisers not as expensive as thought. 

I wasn't able to find the Audio Technica M50's on MusicMatters (I assume you meant musicmatters.co.uk), could you link me to them please?

After reading the review you linked to, I'm pretty certain that those are the ones I'm going to go for.

Aug 23, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #5 of 8
I own the Sennheisers and I like them a lot especially for portable use. They're easy to wear and I really like the sound. The sound might not be so refined, compared to my HD580, but it has a nice signature. I understand the reviewer compares it to the Grado sound.

Bass is strong. They don't need amping. And they are sturdy.

Aug 23, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I own the Sennheisers and I like them a lot especially for portable use. They're easy to wear and I really like the sound. The sound might not be so refined, compared to my HD580, but it has a nice signature. I understand the reviewer compares it to the Grado sound.

Bass is strong. They don't need amping. And they are sturdy.

When I've used supra-aural headphones in the past I've always found them awkward to wear or uncomfortable and I tend to find it difficult to get a good seal from them. If not for that then I'd probably go for the Sennheisers.

Quote:
Sorry. Musicmatter (added an "s"). Hope this link works :

http://www.musicmatter.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=audio-technica

Ah, that explains why I couldn't find them lol. Thanks for the link.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
When I've used supra-aural headphones in the past I've always found them awkward to wear or uncomfortable and I tend to find it difficult to get a good seal from them. If not for that then I'd probably go for the Sennheisers.

Ah, that explains why I couldn't find them lol. Thanks for the link.

I don't know whether I should call them comfortable, but they're easy to wear for sure. Light weight, no clamping and you can choose between two ear cushions. But of course this is really personal, I even find the Grado's easy to wear, the K701 comfortable and I hated to wear the HD650 because of the clamping force, while most people find the HD650 comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back