Looking for my next step--or should I take one?
Jan 10, 2012 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Throdd

Head-Fier
A little bit about me:

1. Mostly listening to symphonic/melodic metal and rock.
  2. Currently own Bose QC15's and Shure SRH840's.
  3. Currently using FiiO E7/E9 combination.
  4. I listen to music on a desktop PC and laptop PC, no MP3 player or other portable equivalent.
  5. 95% of my music is 320 or lossless, played through foobar2000.

My SRH840's were my first real venture into head-fi, and my E7/E9 followed shortly afterward.  I had always loved my QC15's (they were a nice Christmas gift) and I still honestly do, they're a lot more comfortable than my SRH840's and they have a warmer, more inviting sound to them.

My SRH840's seem to give me a lot of detail, and I love them for it.  I love vocals and I love detail, I enjoy bright-sounding music and I tend to prefer treble over bass.  However, the SRH's are quite uncomfortable--I've gotten used to them in the last year or so, but they're rather unnecessarily heavy and their headband has a particular spot that causes too much pressure on my skull and it hurts after a while unless I position the band just right.

I have a worry that my family might give me funny looks if I start accumulating too many pairs of headphones.  I was already chastised for buying my Shures while I still had my Bose. 
rolleyes.gif
  But that's a minor concern.

I do not know what I'm looking for.  Between my headphones, I can see myself taking my QC15's to the university and what-not for their noise cancelling feature and style, and using my SRH840's at home when I really want to listen to my music in vivid, bright detail.

However, I feel like I need a headphone that gets me pumped up, that is comfortable to wear and very fun to listen to, that doesn't require batteries and has audiophile sound without being too analytical.  I want cans that will give me the vocals and highs loud and clear, and the bass punchy but not boomy.  I'm not a basshead.

Ultimately, something that might fit squarely between my SRH and QC.  I strongly prefer around-ear design and open-back is not an option.  I am not aware of anywhere in my city to test audiophile headphones before I buy them, so I'm just trying to gather as much information as possible before I dive into something.

Fire away.  You guys were superbly helpful the first time I came here, and I'm incredibly happy with my SRH840's--I just wish they were more comfortable!  I hope for a repeat performance :)

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 10
I was going to recommend some Grado Sr-60i's, but then you just had to say closed, didn't you? Just kidding, I'm sort of a newbie here myself and wouldn't know what to recommend, maybe a pair of ATH-m50? They seem to be rather hyped about around here... I've also heard good things about the Shure SRH-750.... I think that you have a pretty good setup going already, and the only thing I would want would be a pair of more comfortable headphones for listening around the house, so like I said maybe the Shure or Technica.

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #3 of 10
Yeah, I've heard about the Grados and I've considered it, but I really can't do open cans--too many people in my house. :)  I mean, I probably could, but I don't really want my music being blasted out at everyone near me.  Dunno, just makes me uncomfortable.

If someone has an argument against that or would like to point out that the leakage isn't really that bad, please do, I might be convinced.

I'm leery of Shure for comfort; are there others in their line that are significantly more comfortable?

And yeah, I do have a nice setup and I really like it, I just need a stepping stone.  There are days when I really want to immerse myself in the detail of my music and turn my amp up with my Shures and just kick back and listen.  There are days when I would appreciate Bose comfort with audiophile quality.

Hell, if I could get a headphone that has as much to love as my SRH840's with even half the comfort that my QC15's provide, I might just trade entirely.

Thanks Ginger :)

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 10
I was actually just reading a bit more about the SRH 750's (which I was considering buying) and noticed the complaints about how comfortable they are. Not sure if I won't buy them just because of that, but the M-50's are sort of out of the question for me because the cheapest I could find them in Canada was 180$ and the Shure's are only 120$ with some people saying that the 750's are better than the m50's.... Anyways, enough with my headphone troubles. Do you have a budget? I would be able to recommend something better if I knew what you were willing to pay.

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 10
Not really.  I'd -like- to keep it under 200, but that's not a hard rule here.  Absolutely has to be below $400, but beside that, anything goes as long as you can sell it to me. :wink:

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #8 of 10
Hahaha--I'm being naughty, I was cut a fat check by my university and raked in a bonus at work, plus my paycheck coming in on Friday, so I have a good few thousand dollars of very recent income.  I'm in my research phase though :)

I'll have to check those out.  I'm afraid of going too high-end; I don't want to have to bulk up my amp solution.  A set of cans like that can quickly cost a lot more than just the headphones.

At a glance, Amazon lists them as "semi-open;" what does that mean?

Jan 11, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 10
Still think some Denon's will suit you nicely.  They are just about the most comfortable cans I've ever worn.

And no, I would not consider open cans for your situation.  At decent listening levels, they are extremely audible to other people.

Off-topic a bit, but may I also suggest you take a look at the ToneBoosters Isone DSP plugin if you want something 'new' in headphone listening?  Lots of info in these forums, but this is an extremely well implemented DSP that helps your headphones sound more like a pair of speakers located in front of you. It is totally addictive, and plugs right in to Foobar without much effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back