Looking for my first more high-end pair of headphones
Jun 16, 2018 at 6:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TS1997

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I'm currently looking into buying my first pair of more high-end headphones to replace my old Logitech G430 headset that broke. That headset is the best I've had so far and really want something better.
I'll be using them to play FPS and racing games, listen to music (mostly rock and metal) as well as watch action movies. I want something that is good in all those areas and has good bass for explosions etc. My budget is $230 and the headphones has to be closed since I live in a house with 4 others.

I can also mention that my current PC has an ASUS Z87-PRO motherboard but I'm planning on upgrading to an ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero later this summer.

I've done a lot of research on this since I want the best possible solution based on my budget. Based on that research my current plan is to get Beyerdynamics DT 770 PRO 80 Ohm headphones. Then I'll use them but wait until I upgrade my PC and try them with my new PC because that motherboard seams capable of driving them. If I feel like something is missing like volume with the new PC I'll get an amp or amp+dac combo to drive them then. The DT 770 Pro costs $145 where I live which would give me about $85 to spend on an amp if needed but if needed I'm willing to go a bit higher.

Does that sound like a good plan or do you guys recommend something else? Or maybe one of you have that setup and could tell me if the motherboard is capable or not beforehand?

Any help, tips, recommendations etc are greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Jun 16, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 14
The problem with the DT 770 Pro is that their mids are sucked out and drowned out by the bass and treble. I would get the Fostex T40RP MK3 instead, or the T50RP MK3 which is the same thing but partially open back (but not enough to cause problems in your environment I'd wager). The T50RP MK3 has the best bass and mids I have heard in your price range, and I've used the DT 770 and also the DT 880 Pro, DT 990 Premium, Sennheiser HD 6XX, AKG K7xx, Audio Technica ATH-A900X, others.

This would leave you with some money for an amplifier. I would suggest an external amp, and just using the motherboard's onboard DAC. I own the Maximus X Hero and it has a fairly decent DAC, but doesn't have a proper amp. Unfortunately I can't recommend a ~$70 amp though, I don't have enough knowledge of sub $100 audio components but hopefully someone else can recommend an amp in that price range.

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 14
Do you want open or closed back cans, or does it matter? A lot of people prefer that V shape sound sig for rock. I'm not in that camp. Mids are the meat of rock n roll, and as mentioned above, the 770 has fairly scooped mids. The T40 mk3 is a good suggestion with some really satisfying low end that doesn't interfere with the mids, just keep in mind these are some power hungry beasts.
For a closed back HP with good bass and decent enough mids, I'd recommend the Meze 99 Neo. I listen to these quite often, and I listen to mostly rock. I don't game, but if you watch the Zeos review on YouTube, he goes off on a tangent about how great these are for gaming because of the incredible imaging. Big explosions but can still hear footsteps with precision.
Google search Z review Meze 99 Neo. He also has a sound demo that will give you a flavor as to the sound quality. The sound demos aren't spot on, but I've purchased 3 sets of cans based off them, and the actual sound isn't to far off. Just listen with the most neutral set of headphones you currently have.
I haven't been at this for very long, so I can't recommend any open back headphones as of yet. Just bare in mind that big bass and open cans seldom reside under the same roof, with a few exceptions such as the Phillips Fidelio X2. People love these headphones for gaming, but I'm not sure how they perform with metal. There's an 800 plus page thread under the full size headphones sub section that can keep you busy if you have time to kill. Zeos also has a review and sound demo for these. Google search Z review Phillips fidelio x2 Gibson. Good luck and happy hunting

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 14
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check them out.
Do you guys think the Schiit Magni 3 would be a good amp to use with the Maximus X Hero motherboards built in dac for the headphones that I end up gettin? Or is there something better for the price?

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check them out.
Do you guys think the Schiit Magni 3 would be a good amp to use with the Maximus X Hero motherboards built in dac for the headphones that I end up gettin? Or is there something better for the price?

Either that or the Objective2. The Magni 3 is more powerful, but the Objective2 can handle most headphones just fine and has a more linear and probably less distorted sound leading to better transparency (I say probably because I haven't seen Magni 3 measurements but the Objective2 has been one of the absolute best measuring amps since its inception).

Jun 16, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 14
I found the HE400i to be a much better headphone than the DT770. For the price the Magni 3 is excellent. Not sure anything competes with it. Don't know about the length of the RCA cables though.

By the way, I could sell you a Magni 3 I got like a month or two ago. Upgraded to a Jotunheim so I don't really have a use for it.

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 14
Just for kicks, I tried one of my modded T50RP MK3's (ZMF Ori) directly from my ASUS Maxmius X Hero. I've heard worse things in my life (save for the channel imbalance, left was noticeably louder than right LOL), but it definitely needs an amp. Doesn't get loud enough.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 14
I'd go for a "used like new" Beyerdynamic T70 if I were in your situation. Outperforms pretty much everything mentioned in this thread till now by a fair margin.

Don't bother with a separate amp or dac at that price range and if you are just about to start. Your mainboard powers those T70's well enough and if you are on a tight budget, put it on the headphone, since that (and the source material) matters the most.

All the best on your headphone journey :)

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #12 of 14
I'd go for a "used like new" Beyerdynamic T70 if I were in your situation. Outperforms pretty much everything mentioned in this thread till now by a fair margin.

Don't bother with a separate amp or dac at that price range and if you are just about to start. Your mainboard powers those T70's well enough and if you are on a tight budget, put it on the headphone, since that (and the source material) matters the most.

All the best on your headphone journey :)
Surely, you meant the T-70 Pro, the 32 Ohm version?

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #14 of 14
Do you want open or closed back cans, or does it matter? A lot of people prefer that V shape sound sig for rock. I'm not in that camp. Mids are the meat of rock n roll, and as mentioned above, the 770 has fairly scooped mids. The T40 mk3 is a good suggestion with some really satisfying low end that doesn't interfere with the mids, just keep in mind these are some power hungry beasts.
For a closed back HP with good bass and decent enough mids, I'd recommend the Meze 99 Neo. I listen to these quite often, and I listen to mostly rock. I don't game, but if you watch the Zeos review on YouTube, he goes off on a tangent about how great these are for gaming because of the incredible imaging. Big explosions but can still hear footsteps with precision.
Google search Z review Meze 99 Neo. He also has a sound demo that will give you a flavor as to the sound quality. The sound demos aren't spot on, but I've purchased 3 sets of cans based off them, and the actual sound isn't to far off. Just listen with the most neutral set of headphones you currently have.
I haven't been at this for very long, so I can't recommend any open back headphones as of yet. Just bare in mind that big bass and open cans seldom reside under the same roof, with a few exceptions such as the Phillips Fidelio X2. People love these headphones for gaming, but I'm not sure how they perform with metal. There's an 800 plus page thread under the full size headphones sub section that can keep you busy if you have time to kill. Zeos also has a review and sound demo for these. Google search Z review Phillips fidelio x2 Gibson. Good luck and happy hunting
This.

The Meze Neo is my easy pick as well. You would be able to drive them off your phone even, since they are very easy to drive. They have a fun sound signature without being V shaped.

They have a real snappy sound and also have great bass. Would marry perfect for gaming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back