Looking for IEM <$250 similar to RE-0
May 26, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #16 of 27
I forgot to mention I also have owned a pair of TF10 and my feelings were almost exactly the same as Omnirai, the recessed mids just didn't sit well with me and I also hated how they felt in ear (I have a medium size ear that takes medium to large size tips). The GR07 on the other hand is one of the most comfortable IEM's I have owned. It's mids are not quite as forward as my SM3 or SE215 but they are not recessed either, just nicely in the middle.

May 26, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #17 of 27
I have to say DBA-02, its a bit below your price range but I love mine. I have very similar tastes (big fan of RE0 and ER4) and the DBAs fit my tastes better than anything else I have tried (the bass is better than either IMO), including SE530, TF10, RE262, and MTPC

May 27, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #18 of 27
I found the mids of the VSonics very slightly forward compared to the rest of the spectrum, but definitely not in-your-face like the SM3s or the e-Q7. If I had to place it the GR07 will be "tending towards warmth", but still fairly balanced. It definitely suited my taste.

Several things turned me off the GR07 (I was dead sold on them at one point). First, the e-Q5 sounded better :p Second, the cable is a little irritating and refused to stay over my ears (the demo store did not have the cable guides, but either way I found the cable irritating to deal with). Third, I am sensitive towards sibilance and the GR07 were extremely sibilant for me. I've read that it clears up after a hundred hours or 2 of burn-in though, so if you do decide on the GR07 without being able to test it first be prepared to have to burn it in lots to clear up the edginess.

May 27, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #19 of 27
Hey welcome to the HF.

Have you heard of Ortofon e-Q5.
This could be what you are looking for. Great build, balanced sound, warranty and amazing service from MusicaAcoustics
Dimitri is Ortofon distributor so highly recommended seller

Review here is great for you to begin your search as the writer compares them to CK10.

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/01/ortofon-e-q5-review/

if interested in this,
email Dimitri directly for Promo head fi special discounted cost as Q5 are over 250 if ordered directly from MA site/

I highly doubt Ortofon e-Q5 is any better than R0.

May 27, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #20 of 27

Quote:
Quote:
Hey welcome to the HF.

Have you heard of Ortofon e-Q5.
This could be what you are looking for. Great build, balanced sound, warranty and amazing service from MusicaAcoustics
Dimitri is Ortofon distributor so highly recommended seller

Review here is great for you to begin your search as the writer compares them to CK10.

http://anythingbutipod.com/2011/01/ortofon-e-q5-review/

if interested in this,
email Dimitri directly for Promo head fi special discounted cost as Q5 are over 250 if ordered directly from MA site/

I highly doubt Ortofon e-Q5 is any better than R0.

you wanna bet?

May 27, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
I found the mids of the VSonics very slightly forward compared to the rest of the spectrum, but definitely not in-your-face like the SM3s or the e-Q7. If I had to place it the GR07 will be "tending towards warmth", but still fairly balanced. It definitely suited my taste.

Several things turned me off the GR07 (I was dead sold on them at one point). First, the e-Q5 sounded better :p Second, the cable is a little irritating and refused to stay over my ears (the demo store did not have the cable guides, but either way I found the cable irritating to deal with). Third, I am sensitive towards sibilance and the GR07 were extremely sibilant for me. I've read that it clears up after a hundred hours or 2 of burn-in though, so if you do decide on the GR07 without being able to test it first be prepared to have to burn it in lots to clear up the edginess.

Well, considering the price, I think I could deal with those issues.

The issue of mid-forwardness is really something I will just have to figure out myself. I don't know my preference in that area yet. Same goes for sibilance, not sure how sensitive I am to it. I only had minor sibilance issues with the RE-0, but they were only on recordings that I later found were simply sibilant themselves.

I feel more confident in these than I did any other of the IEMs. Will be purchasing them soon. Figure I can't go too wrong with these.

May 27, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #22 of 27
The RE-0 are definitely not sibilant, treble presentation is effortless and non-fatiguing, matching that of IEMs many times its price.

Congrats on deciding on your purchase, do tell us your thoughts of the GR07. I'm particularly interested since I was going to get them at some point.

May 27, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #23 of 27

Quote:
The RE-0 are definitely not sibilant, treble presentation is effortless and non-fatiguing, matching that of IEMs many times its price.

Congrats on deciding on your purchase, do tell us your thoughts of the GR07. I'm particularly interested since I was going to get them at some point.

Well then, I guess that was just me not being used to the amount of detail they put out. Or something else, maybe. Maybe I don't even know what sibilance is.

I am hoping the sibilance won't be a problem. I will give it a good 200 hour burn in before I pass judgment on them.

May 27, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #24 of 27
Sibilance is something like when the "-s" sound of vocals becomes exaggerated and pronounced - also noticeable with similar sounds like "-tch". They will be a problem if you listen to a lot of vocals, but different people have different thresholds of what they find to be sibilant and what they find to be manageable.

May 28, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #25 of 27
So I just remembered reading somewhere that these have a similar sound to the HD 595. My modded HD 555 sounds decent enough, but I actually prefer the sound of the NE-700X. I felt the HD 555s were harsh at times, and I don't have that problem with the NE-700X. To be honest, I was disappointed with the 555s, due to it's raw sound. The mod made me a lot happier with them, but I would still prefer something much less grainy and smoother. I also would like more bass quantity-wise than the HD 555/595.

Soundstage is probably more important to me than the average person. I know comparing open headphones to IEMs in terms of soundstage isn't the fairest thing to do, but I was expecting a better soundstage from the HD 555s. I feel the soundstage of the NE-700X nicely complements its sound signature, if that makes any sense.

Do the GR07s still sound like they would be a good choice, or have I settled on the wrong earphone?

May 29, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #26 of 27
Well, I ended up ordering these. They just sounded too suitable for me to pass up. When they arrive, I'll make a post somewhere about what I think of them out of the box and after a long burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back