Looking for headphones
Oct 31, 2010 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

mblomstrand92

New Head-Fier
Hello

I'm currently looking to upgrade my headphone system. Right now I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD595 with a Xonar STX soundcard. I'm not to satisfied with the sound they make. When helping me out focus on a pair of headphones that i'm looking for and kinda ignore the soundcard/amp etc. But please mention if my Xonar STX will give them justice or not, if you know. I will start off by writing down what I like and dislike about my current set up so you can get a clue of what headphones that might fit me good.

Sennheiser HD595 + Xonar STX

* Voices are super clear and nice
* Acoustic and calm music sound great

DISLIKE

* The highs hurts my ears sometimes and are way to "harsh"
* Lack of bass and heavyness while listening to music (especially when listening to metal and punk)

Following bands that i listen to

Skatepunk/Pop-Punk/Grunge
NOFX
Green Day
Blink-182
Sum 41
Nirvana

Metal/Nu-Metal/Hardcore
Slayer
Slipkot
Hatebreed

Alternative Rock
The Smashing Pumpkins
Radiohead
Coldplay

Money is not really a problem but up to 600-700 USD for the headphones.
I've heard good about Denon AH-D5000 and that they might fit my type of music well.
Otherwise than that I'm pretty lost.

Thanks for any tips and help. Very thankful for all the help i can get :)

Oct 31, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Hello

I'm currently looking to upgrade my headphone system. Right now I'm using a pair of Sennheiser HD595 with a Xonar STX soundcard. I'm not to satisfied with the sound they make. When helping me out focus on a pair of headphones that i'm looking for and kinda ignore the soundcard/amp etc. But please mention if my Xonar STX will give them justice or not, if you know. I will start off by writing down what I like and dislike about my current set up so you can get a clue of what headphones that might fit me good.

Sennheiser HD595 + Xonar STX

* Voices are super clear and nice
* Acoustic and calm music sound great

DISLIKE

* The highs hurts my ears sometimes and are way to "harsh"
* Lack of bass and heavyness while listening to music (especially when listening to metal and punk)

I don't listen to your type of music, so I can't comment, but just going by your "Like" and "Dislike", you should take a look at the Sennheiser HD650. Voices sound amazing on these, as does acoustic. The HD650s are also known for their slightly rolled off highs, which means that they won't sound harsh at all and you can listen for much longer periods.

These headphones cost around $350-$450 street price, and you'll definitely need a good headphone amp to do them justice. But yeah, there're plenty of great reviews on these and you should definitely check them out.

Oct 31, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you

I've heard great things about em it's jus that i can't really stand listening to heavy stuff right now and i'm scared that the HD650's have the similar sound as my HD595's. And it's not only the highs that i dislike about my HD595's but there just aint that power in breakdowns and heavy riffs that i'm looking for. But i'll try testing them if i can find a place and then with a really good amp.

Anyone else have any other tips or thoughts? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back