Looking for headphones for ROCK MUSIC
Jan 16, 2013 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Super MANSKITO

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for headphones for ROCK MUSIC!!!! Must be able to sound great at loud volumes for long periods of time without giving out or losing Sound quality.  Also cord must be detachable and replaceable.  I want them to last for at least two years of daily use.  

my budget is $150-300 

I hope this is not too much to ask of heaphones in that price range. 

Any suggestions would be great. 

EDIT: also need to go around my ears, circumaural. 

Jan 16, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 20
Sennheiser HD-25 I II or the amperiors. 

Both are built like a rock, and they rock 
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:
what about the AKG 702? they are from the same company but have replaceable cable. 

But are they going to be good for ROCK MUSIC?

I love my AKG K702s but I listen to classical music and I think the sound with them might not be sufficiently strong for the OP.

I will add that I think the OP is a bit foolish pursuing loud music as it will damage his hearing, and he won't like it.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:47 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

But are they going to be good for ROCK MUSIC?

I love my AKG K702s but I listen to classical music and I think the sound with them might not be sufficiently strong for the OP.

I will add that I think the OP is a bit foolish pursuing loud music as it will damage his hearing, and he won't like it.

Yeah, OP should really watch out for loud listening levels, this applies to everyone.

I think the AKG702's don't have enough of a kick for rock music. OP should look into Grado

Jan 16, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 20
The 70x are open-back as well - which will probably mean even higher volumes if used mobile. :xf_eek: Grado would be a good candidate if isolation isn't a concern, but if it is, they'd be worse off than the 70x.

I'd say Koss DJ100/TBSE if you want full-size, removable cable, closed for mobile use, comfortable, etc. Again, turn the volume down though - hearing damage isn't fun.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
Yeah, OP should really watch out for loud listening levels, this applies to everyone.

I think the AKG702's don't have enough of a kick for rock music. OP should look into Grado

Thats not the first time i have seen the Grado=good rock on this board I want to try them but..... all the grado's sit on the ear not go around it and it looks like the cable is NOT easy to remove or replace. Which is a big deal for me because the cable is always the first thing to break on heaphones IMO and I want to be able to replace it for less then $50 easy no soldering or screw turning required.  Do you know of another other brands besides grado?
Quote:
The 70x are open-back as well - which will probably mean even higher volumes if used mobile.
redface.gif
Grado would be a good candidate if isolation isn't a concern, but if it is, they'd be worse off than the 70x.

I'd say Koss DJ100/TBSE if you want full-size, removable cable, closed for mobile use, comfortable, etc. Again, turn the volume down though - hearing damage isn't fun.

Not going to be mobile use, open is fine. It's actually for my brother.  

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
Honestly I'm going to tell you the "cable is first to break" thing becomes less of a problem with well made headphones - we aren't talking $5 throwaways.
redface.gif

And if open is fine, Grado is what I would suggest, the AKG or Koss after that.

cables break all the time I broke one on my HD 650s and I'm up to 3 on my he500s. I m just trying to bypass future issues. I've never heard of koss what would you recomend from them?

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 20
cables break all the time I broke one on my HD 650s and I'm up to 3 on my he500s. I m just trying to bypass future issues. I've never heard of koss what would you recomend from them?

Seriously what are you doing to these headphones? :ph34r:

And I thought I said above - the DJ100 and/or TBSE (they're more or less the same thing); maybe I didn't, easy to get threads mixed up. :xf_eek: Standard 3.5mm female TRS on the headphone side, no proprietary cable, very easy to replace and all that. Plus they carry the lifetime warranty. :cool:

The AKGs will use a mini-XLR that's a bit harder to find, and will probably cost more to replace.

Jan 16, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
wow thank you for responding so fast, but i forgot to mention that I also want them to go around my ears not on them. 

Do you know would do all the things listed above and also go around my ears? 

Ok, 

Ultrasone HFI-580 

The AKG 550 are not recommended for fast paced music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back