Looking for headphones for a gift (Preferably $50ish, willing to go up in price)
Jul 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

ColdToast

New Head-Fier
Well, my girlfriend's birthday is coming up on the 24th and she's been talking a lot about how she wants some real headphones so I really would like to get her some nice ones and this seemed like the place to come. She listens to a lot of music and plays guitar so it would be nice if it also has the ability to plug into an amp, but that isn't necessary. Really just as long as it works well with the computer and ipods it should be good. Style shouldn't matter to her that much, I would think that the biggest things would be sound quality and comfort for her. I've been hearing good things about the Sennheiser HD 205 (What's the difference between these and the HD 205-II headphones?)

Anyways, I'm open to suggestions and if you could tell me what some good sites for discounts are that would be great! Thanks :)

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 29
Well, all the hd650's are a few hundred dollars and I can't really afford that. I should have said it in the first port too, but in the title it says around $50. I could probably go up to around $70 if the headphones are really really worth it

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 29
Sennheiser HD 428. Versatile, great midrange, and very detailed. Since they're fully circumaural, expect a great deal of comfort too. They're great cans for the price.

Jul 11, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #9 of 29
Well she was looking in to the skull candies and found that for most people they end up breaking in under 2 months. Plus it seems as if those are more for the style which isn't what she wants. Style, is just an added bonus but what she really wants is sound quality.

Soaa-, the HD428's look really nice and I think they might be the ones. What I was wondering though is how good used headphones from Amazon usually are. They're like 25 dollars and she really hates when people spend a lot of money on her. I mean, I'm willing to get them new, just I don't want her to be upset if I do

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:13 PM Post #10 of 29
Sorry, I don't have experience with used products from Amazon...

Avoid Skullcandy by all means though. They're just shiny turds that sound horrible and they break really fast.

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #11 of 29
Skullcandy hesh are probably the worst headphones I've ever heard above the $20 mark, and I've been through dozens if not hundreds. Beats solo are better but vastly overpriced still. Avoid both like the plague.

If you don't need high noise isolation or extreme portability, I would recommend the Creative Aurvana Live. Incredible headphones for the current ~$60 price (newegg link). There's also the Beyer DT235 which should cost less (amazon, etc) but aren't quite as nice to look at, though  they come in both black and white. I think the CAL!s are a little more conventional (read: fun) in sound signature and the DT235s are a bit more 'audiophile'/refined. 

Jul 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #12 of 29
If you are looking into hd205's check out these, they are refurb but the price seems to be a steal.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501662/sennheiser-hd205-8-5-48-s-h-amazon

Jul 11, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 29
Well, I was pretty much completely sure that I wouldn't get her skullcandy because there are so many bad things I've heard about them. This just reassures me about that. I was pretty set on the sennheiser HD 428 headphones because they seem great and affordable but I guess I'll have to look up all the other ones listed on here. Thanks a bunch! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back