Looking for good IEMs with iPhone remote/mic and especially with a good cable
Oct 21, 2010 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

guspasho

New Head-Fier
Like many others, looking for the right IEMs has been overwhelming for me. I've read many topics here in these forums but even that's kind of overwhelming.

I'm not a basshead, I like to hear the full range of sound clearly. I listen to a lot of electronic music and I prefer music that uses the full range over the bass-heavy stuff. I also listen to some classic rock, new wave, metal, and new alternative rock. I just got some Sony MDR V6s and I can't stop listening to them. The only problem is they aren't very practical to carry around with me when commuting or to jog with.

My experiences so far have been:
1) iPhone earbuds: I had no idea how poor they sounded and how much sound I was missing until I got my Sony MDR V6s. But my overwhelming biggest complaint is how easily the cable gets tangled in my pocket. I've tried wrapping solutions but they usually require more work than I want to put into it - by the time they're unwrapped I'm getting off the bus or whatever. When I put them on the cable is still very curled up and it's terribly annoying but maybe I'm just obsessive, I don't know, anyway it's annoying to me.

2) Sony MDR V6: sounds fantastic, no complaints about the sound at all. They are my basis for comparing everything else right now.
3) Unknown model of $50 Sony earbuds, found on a department store shelf, really really bass-heavy. Returned after a few days.
4) Audio Technica ATH-CK52W, recommended by a salesman at a high-end audio store. I don't think they sound that great, still a little bassey, and some high-end sibilance can be detected, and it's especially distracting when it's a poor mp3.
5) Klipsch S4i: sounded pretty good, I was going to settle for them on the sound quality but I was iffy on the cable quality especially because on the second day the sound volume kept jumping up and down. The problem appears to be a loose connection in the plug. So I'm going to have to take those back. But if not for the plug problem I wasn't finding the cable experience any better than the Apple earbuds.

I really like the remote, especially with the implementation that Klipsch uses. And the sound quality is acceptable but could use improvement. But for someone who is as picky about his IEM cable not getting tangled or curled up as I am, what would you recommend? I really like the little remote and would like to keep that. The S4i cost $100 and that's where I'd like to keep the price range, maybe up to $150 if they are stellar.

Thanks!

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #2 of 7
Most cables will tangle up if you just cram them in your pocket. If you want to buy high-end earphones and have them last, use the included case. Otherwise tangling will be the least of your worries. Wrapping a cable around three fingers and sticking it in a case can't possibly take longer than untangling it afterwards.

As for recommendations, if you want a three-button remote you're pretty limited. The Etymotic MC3 is a good option. They use Kevlar in the cables for durability (though of course I still recommend using a case).

Oct 21, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #3 of 7
I should mention that I do wrap the cable around my fingers. With the Apple iPhone earbuds I always observed when wrapping that the earbud cable has an unshakable "memory" that wrapping never fixed, and I would stuff them in my pocket after wrapping but they still came out tangled.

In the limited time I used the S4i I similarly coiled it up around my fingers and used the case but I didn't get the aluminum case but this pocket-like thing which seems to cause it to tangle up just as well as my pocket.

Thanks for the recommendation, though, I will consider the MC3.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 7
I would also really second the recommendation for the MC3 (I wrote a review of them in my signature) in terms of cable quality. The cable really doesn't tangle, its thick and feels reassuring, and the strain reliefs are fantastic. I think the sound will be quite different from the S4 though, and also your Sony cans - as I understand it, the S4 is quite bass heavy and while the MC3 is transparent and neutral, it is if anything treble orientated. It's still a really fantastic option at your price point for iPhone controls.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 7
Here's a (somewhat outdated) list of IEMs with mic/remotes, with linked reviews. Not included there are the Monster Turbine Pro IEMs with ControlTalk, latest Etymotic, or Thinksound TS02+mic that several have reviewed around here recently.

I like the flatter cases like those supplied with NuForce NE-7M or the most recent Fischer DBA-02. These let me pocket the IEM and cable relatively safely with minimal tangling issues, while not bulging my pocket.

I've found the MEElec cables to be quite tangle resistant.

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm swinging between the Ety MC3 and the Thinksound TS02+mic for my iPhone, but leaning more toward the Thinksounds at the moment.  Thinksound has a pretty good tutorial on how to wrap and store your earphones if you're interested. Also, there are two review threads from Head-fi members here and here, on the them.

Good luck on your search!

Oct 21, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #7 of 7
The Rockford Punch Plugs have a version available with an iPhone remote/mic in the cable, which is flat and awesome. They also sound great to my ears, I think they are quite the bargain. They have an unfortunate marketing campaign for them, but in reality these are great sounding IEMs, not as overly bassy (which I do not like either) as you might expect. They do have a funny shape, but IMO it contributes to their fantastic, smooth, well-balanced sound. They also have one of the best cables in the business, and they're only $84 shipped. My pair was used for around $55, they are definitely one of my better audio purchases.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TVKGWO/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0035JJOLE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0B4CVEP1GXMEZCJH3T4X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back