Looking for good all around over ear headphones for PS3 gaming and listening to music
Jul 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

brendonintendo

New Head-Fier
Alright so I'm new to both this site, and the audio world, so please be aware that my knowledge and familiarity with headphones and audio equipment is very limited.

I have not until recently gotten into listening to music.  I'm a 21 year old college student, who for most of my life has just listened to top 40 music and whatever is on the radio.  When I started college however I became much more enthusiastic about music and broadening my horizons to different genres of music.  The only types of headphones I have ever owned are ear buds, and they just aren't cutting it for me anymore.  I have a pair of JVC HA-FXC51, which I would be pretty happy with, aside from the fact that I have gone through 3 pairs of these in 6 months.  I'm tired of dealing with sending these back and forth to the manufacturer.  I don't know why these keep failing on me, but I think it may have something to do with the pressure that is created in the buds by pulling them in and out of my abnormally shaped ear canal (weird I know, but sound goes in and out of my current pair when I put it in and then pull it out).  Anyway, I am getting much more involved in my music listening, and I would really like to get a pair of solid over the ear headphones, with decent portability, so I can really appreciate the sound of my music.  I typically listen to music on my laptop, or on my phone, which I use to stream pandora and have started putting some MP3's from my growing collection on there (I don't actually own a dedicated MP3 player).  I'm looking for a pair of headphones <$200, with a good balance of bass and mid to high ranges.  Again I'm no audiophile, but I would like to experience a better quality in my listening than I am now.  Decent portability would be nice, but I plan to primarily use these for at home listening, not walking around campus.  If need be I can always buy another pair of ear buds for when I'm on the go.

As I mentioned in my title, I am also looking for something I can use to listen to my gaming on my PS3.  I'm a pretty avid casual gamer, but the only audio output I have is straight through my TV, and I feel like I am missing out on a lot of the sounds games have to offer.  I was originally only looking for headphones for my music, but then I started thinking, why not try and get a pair of headphones that can do it all.  So is there a good pair of headphones I can use to both play music from my devices, and connect to my PS3 to listen to games?

This may be a lot to ask for in a single pair of headphones, but I would really like to get as much functionality out of my purchase as possible.  Again I am looking to spend in the $100-$150 range, but I would be willing to spend around $200 if I feel it would be justified.  I am open to any suggestions or recommendations, so please feel free to educate me a little, and tell me your thoughts on this.  I would really appreciate any thoughts or advice you could give me.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 24
I'm not as experienced as a lot of the other members here....but I'll try and help out.

Are you looking for open or closed-back headphones? and what kind of gaming do you do (competitive online gaming or the single-player experience)?

The only headphones I can suggest are the ones I own because they're the only ones I've really tried.

I have the Ultrasone HFI-780's and I got them several years ago by suggestions from the people on this site. At the time I was like you and looking for headphones that worked well for both music (mainly metal music and also soundtracks/film scores and folk music) and gaming/movies. Those were the headphones suggested (and with some research) to me and because they're hard to come by in Canada, I just ordered them online and took it on faith. Luckily they turned out to be amazing to my ears. The bass is powerful, deep and impactful without being overbearing. I personally like the mids and highs. I can hear everything that's going on clearly. They're not the most comfortable headphones but they can sit on my head for about 2-3 hours before getting slightly annoying. I used them for everything although now I use different headphones for music...Denon D2000 which are also great for movies and gaming but are a bit more expensive. The Denon's, however, do have a better soundstage (which is better for competitve gaming) and the bass is not as impactful and powerful but it goes quite deep and still has good presence. And I find that they have more clarity.

So that's what I have to offer. I'm not the best at describing how headphones sound, hopefully the more experience members can offer you better advice and what not.

Jul 10, 2012 at 10:29 AM Post #5 of 24
Well I feel that the comfort thing may become an issue with me.  I feel like when I get these, I am going to be using them for extended periods of time, so I certainly want something that is very comfortable.  Some other headphones that have been recommended to me are Audio Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD25-1 II, or a set of Incase Sonic's.

The AT M50's seem to be one of the most universally recommended entry level hi fi headphones I have seen.  Although it is really at the peak of my price range I think I may go in that direction.  Now as far as actually buying a pair, how does anyone recommend I go about doing this.  I'm somewhat of a frugal penny pincher, so I'm going to want to find the best price possible on whatever set I decide upon.  I'm thinking I should probably go somewhere to actually test them out myself for comfort and such at a Guitar Center or something, and then possibly get them for a little cheaper at an online retailer.  Any thoughts on the actual purchasing end?

Jul 10, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 24
For gaming, there are two Audio Technica choices. 
1. M-50. Great bass for explosions in games and in movies, but not the clearest sounding headphones.
2. AD700. Clarity and soundstage means you hear everything in games and music, but not a lot of bass.
Hope this helps.

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
Well I feel that the comfort thing may become an issue with me.  I feel like when I get these, I am going to be using them for extended periods of time, so I certainly want something that is very comfortable.  Some other headphones that have been recommended to me are Audio Technica ATH-M50, Sennheiser HD25-1 II, or a set of Incase Sonic's.

The AT M50's seem to be one of the most universally recommended entry level hi fi headphones I have seen.  Although it is really at the peak of my price range I think I may go in that direction.  Now as far as actually buying a pair, how does anyone recommend I go about doing this.  I'm somewhat of a frugal penny pincher, so I'm going to want to find the best price possible on whatever set I decide upon.  I'm thinking I should probably go somewhere to actually test them out myself for comfort and such at a Guitar Center or something, and then possibly get them for a little cheaper at an online retailer.  Any thoughts on the actual purchasing end?

I tried the M50 long time ago I think. Tried it for about a week and than returned them because while the bass was there, I didn't like their sound. Like biggbenn74 said...not the clearest sounding headphones.

As for the comfort level of the Ultrasone's...lets put it this way: I have used them for hours and hours before and I don't really notice their level of comfort when I'm playing a game and am engrossed in it. It's when I'm listening to music and maybe a bit bored when I notice that they're not the most comfortable headphones in the world. The ear pads themselves are comfy enough it's just that the headphones really clamp your head. I've read on the forums though that there are ways to make them really comfortable. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #8 of 24
Good for music, good for games, decent portability, and something that doesn't need an amp.  Will think on it.

For now though, first decide if you want open or closed.  For gaming I tend to prefer closed, as they cut out a lot of the background noise and let you hear every detail.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:
Good for music, good for games, decent portability, and something that doesn't need an amp.  Will think on it.

For now though, first decide if you want open or closed.  For gaming I tend to prefer closed, as they cut out a lot of the background noise and let you hear every detail.

Thanks a bunch, I'd certainly appreciate your input.  I'm probably leaning towards closed, but its not like I have any experience to say I like or want one more than the other.

Jul 10, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
For gaming, there are two Audio Technica choices. 
1. M-50. Great bass for explosions in games and in movies, but not the clearest sounding headphones.

Hmm, they have a horrible soundstage and positioning for games. I wouldnt recommend it for games, only for music. 

If considering closed back models, take a look at the Ultrasone (pro550) 
for some extra bucks you can have the Akg K550's. 

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
Well if your plugging your headphones into your tv i have heard that astro a30's sound great with music and they are a gaming headset

Well the thing is I don't really need a mic.  I really just want it for the sound, and if I need a mic I have a bluetooth earpiece I could just use for the input.  Plus if I'm wearing it around just to listen to music with, I dont want the mic piece dangling around.  Although that mixamp does seem like a really nice feature.  But like I said my main focus is really gonna be on the music.  I just wanted to throw the gaming thing out there because I just wanted to make sure anything I got would be compatible if I just wanted to hook it up because I was tired of hearing my tv speakers.

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Hmm, they have a horrible soundstage and positioning for games. I wouldnt recommend it for games, only for music. 

If considering closed back models, take a look at the Ultrasone (pro550) 
for some extra bucks you can have the Akg K550's. 

I just really dont think I can justify spending any more than $150 on a pair of headphones at this point in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back