Looking for full-size replacement for ER-4S
Nov 18, 2010 at 12:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

smoth

New Head-Fier
I purchased the ER-4S a few years ago as my first step into quality audio.  I am the type of person who believes music should be uncolored by the playback equipment and should be highly detailed.  I was directed to the ER-4S in the IEM category and have been very happy with them.  However, I do find the earpieces to be uncomfortable after long listening sessions so I am considering a full sized unit as I rarely listen to music away from my computer anyway.  I would also like a larger sound stage.  I have the Asus Xonar Essence STX in my computer, so I should have enough power to drive pretty much any headphone on the market. 

I am willing to spend up to $250-$300 and am not against purchasing used if from a reliable source.   

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #2 of 5
Okay, here are some suggestions for ya:

First up are open back options

Sennheiser HD595, HD600

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, AD900

Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 or 250 Ohm versions

AKG K 242

Grado SR225i, SR325i

Next some closed back options

Denon AH-D2000, D5000

Audio-Technica ATH-A700, A900

Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 or 250 Ohm versions

Ultrasone HFi 680, HFi 780, PRO 750

Now open back headphones provide little or no sound isolation at all and they tend to leak sound even at moderate listening levels.  That being said, they deliver the widest sound stage and usually the clearest most accurate sound signature.  If you do need the noise isolation then these closed back options are excellent to exceptional alternatives and as with the case of the Denons and Audio-Technicas they have sound stages that rival comparable open options.  If you are looking for the most accurate reproduction of your music and the widest sound stage I would suggest taking a close look at the HD600, K 242, DT 880, AD900 and the A900.

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 5
When my Hfi-780 got recable, it sounded much like my 2 year old ERS4 but with more bass impact.  Resolution is about the same, timbre is about the same, since the soundstage is larger you don't lose the airyness.  I don't know how neutral it sounded compared to the Er4S, but I thought it was uncolored.  Next best option is the MS-Pro, then HD800 but those are above $300.  You might also want to consider the MS2i, neutral, larger soundstage, but not as much treble extension.  

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 5
Since most of the time my room is pretty quiet and since i already have the ER4S if I absolutely need isolation, I am just concerned with the audio reproduction.   Ill look around to see if anyone in my area has any of those headphones to demo.  Not too confident I will be able to find them living in a college town though.  Basically what I am looking for is something with the flatest frequency response over the largest range.  Ill look into those few and see what I can find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back