Looking for earphone recommendations
Apr 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

magicalhobo

New Head-Fier
I have about $200 to spend on earphones. I'm relatively new to good headphones and want to get a good pair of inears. Currently, all I have are Sennheiser HD 448s and Skullcandy Ink'ds.

I was interested in the Shure SE315's, but I read a few bad reviews on them and aren't sure if they are worth it now. The Etymotic HF3's look like a good set, but I'm looking for more recommendations before I make the final purchase.

I have about $200 to spend and am willing to shell out a little more if it's really worth it. I'm working to put myself through college, so I want to get great phones but don't have a ton of spare cash. Tax returns are awesome :).

Typically I listen to music like Radiohead, Fleet Foxes, The Knife, Cocorosie, Portishead, DJ Shadow, and M83 if that helps at all.

Thanks a lot!

Apr 23, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 2
In that price range take a look at:
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 retail is $399 but you can get them for $150 to 180 range from amazon ebay etc..

Sound Sig: boosted  bass and treble

Pros:
Great value at the current price
replaceble cable
the "vi" model has a mic to use with your phone

Cons:
Maybe a fit issue if you have small ear canals
stiffer cable may be annoying to some (if so replace the cable with the Westone ES series cable)

Fisher DBA-02 $160

Sound Sig: neutral (maybe light bass to newcomers) and analytical

Pros:
great for the price

Cons:
hard to get sometimes

some others to consider:

Shure SE215 about $100

Monster turbine regular $60 to $80 / pro gold (more bass) ~$180 - $200 / pro copper ~$220- $240 (balanced)   (be EXTREMELY careful buying these LOTS of fakes that are almost impossible to tell the difference unless you know what to look for)

all of those will be miles ahead of the Skullcandys
hope that helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back