Looking for Earbuds (not IEMs) for my small ears. Under $40 or so.
Oct 3, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:
I though the main problem is that your ears are small. If so,  average sized earbuds may not fit you. Why not get the MX581? It isn't that cheap, but isn't that expensive. I have the MX580 and really like it, although some IEMs I have at around the same price or even cheaper do sound better. For open earbuds though, the Sennheiser MX580 and MX581 seem like good values. What is your objection to IEMs? When walking around I use open earbuds since I feel using an IEM then would be dangerous. When I don't need to hear my surroundings though, I use an IEM or closed headphone.

There are some very inexpensive very compact portable headphones such as JVC HA-S160 that are closed, but don't isolate so well due to their small size. There is also the Sennheiser PX100II which is open. Imo these sound  better than the MX580(and probably the MX581 as well?) they aren't as portable as earbuds or IEMs(they won't fit in your shirt pocket with the player) however the PX100Ii folded up will probably fit in your jacket pocket. You can get the PX100II for $50 with free US shipping at J&R. Let me know if you see it cheaper somewhere else.

I'm sorry JK1. Yes, this the main problem. I was just trying to see if there were any more options. I will look closer into the MX581s.

My problem with IEMs is that, I've had a hard time finding ones that would fit into my ear-canals without hurting (this is even true with the smallest of the rubber pieces). Also, I don't like that isolation that makes hearing surroundings hard when walking.

I apologize again. Thank you.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
I though the main problem is that your ears are small. If so,  average sized earbuds may not fit you. Why not get the MX581? It isn't that cheap, but isn't that expensive. I have the MX580 and really like it, although some IEMs I have at around the same price or even cheaper do sound better. For open earbuds though, the Sennheiser MX580 and MX581 seem like good values. What is your objection to IEMs? When walking around I use open earbuds since I feel using an IEM then would be dangerous. When I don't need to hear my surroundings though, I use an IEM or closed headphone.

There are some very inexpensive very compact portable headphones such as JVC HA-S160 that are closed, but don't isolate so well due to their small size. There is also the Sennheiser PX100II which is open. Imo these sound  better than the MX580(and probably the MX581 as well?) they aren't as portable as earbuds or IEMs(they won't fit in your shirt pocket with the player) however the PX100Ii folded up will probably fit in your jacket pocket. You can get the PX100II for $50 with free US shipping at J&R. Let me know if you see it cheaper somewhere else.

i completly agree here, if you want an earbud for around 40 bucks then you SHOULD buy the MX581 if you got small ears,  they sound very good.. they dont have a huge bass but it is something you would expect from earbuds.

I am not sure if you can buy a pair of earburds under $40 that are better than MX580, maybe they are but the Mx580 has a very balanced sound.

Oct 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 27
There are some inexpensive IEMs that are quite small and sound great. One such one is the $16 Panasonic RP-HJE355. Imo it will probably fit almost anyone. IEMs aren't safe to use in all circumstances though, which is why I have some IEMs and a few traditional open earbuds.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

i completly agree here, if you want an earbud for around 40 bucks then you SHOULD buy the MX581 if you got small ears,  they sound very good.. they dont have a huge bass but it is something you would expect from earbuds.

I am not sure if you can buy a pair of earburds under $40 that are better than MX580, maybe they are but the Mx580 has a very balanced sound.

I just happen to be a stubborn music-listening consumer. It's so incredibly hard to pick when you know that you're picking out a pair that you want to see last you a while. That being said... you have put me into the I'm-very-likely-going-to-pick-these-up category. I went ahead and popped a pair of my buddy's Apple Earbuds (pads on) into my ears, and they sat there pretty comfortably (I wouldn't buy a pair, but I know that options have opened up a bit. My ears aren't as terrible as I originally once thought. There's definitely a little pressure, but nothing painful). I know that you and JK1 will likely be banging your heads against a wall after reading this... I am sorry, but know that I deeply appreciate the advice you all have given me.
Quote:
There are some inexpensive IEMs that are quite small and sound great. One such one is the $16 Panasonic RP-HJE355. Imo it will probably fit almost anyone. IEMs aren't safe to use in all circumstances though, which is why I have some IEMs and a few traditional open earbuds.

Honestly JK1... you might have me sold on buying a pair of those as a supplement. They're inexpensive, got a metaphorical thumbs-up in terms of how they fit, and you're not the only one who said that (not saying that that's bad; a little bit to back up what's being said is worth it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Quote:
The BeB Black's durability seems ok but not great. About on par with the Paa1, but the likes of the blox m2c is better build. The BeB is the comfiest though.

This thread might be useful: http://www.head-fi.org/t/441400/earbuds-round-up

Thanks for pointing me to that thread.

Oct 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #22 of 27
Quote:
I just happen to be a stubborn music-listening consumer. It's so incredibly hard to pick when you know that you're picking out a pair that you want to see last you a while. That being said... you have put me into the I'm-very-likely-going-to-pick-these-up category. I went ahead and popped a pair of my buddy's Apple Earbuds (pads on) into my ears, and they sat there pretty comfortably (I wouldn't buy a pair, but I know that options have opened up a bit. My ears aren't as terrible as I originally once thought. There's definitely a little pressure, but nothing painful). I know that you and JK1 will likely be banging your heads against a wall after reading this... I am sorry, but know that I deeply appreciate the advice you all have given me.
Honestly JK1... you might have me sold on buying a pair of those as a supplement. They're inexpensive, got a metaphorical thumbs-up in terms of how they fit, and you're not the only one who said that (not saying that that's bad; a little bit to back up what's being said is worth it. Thanks for the recommendation.
Thanks for pointing me to that thread.

Good luck with that man..

Oct 8, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #25 of 27
I just wanted to give everyone an update on my choice(s). I realize that it was questionable in terms of what I was trying to buy. I strayed a little (okay.. a lot) from what my main goal was, but that's me.

I ended up ordering:

1x BeB "the Black" <- Most reviews on this pair were very favorable. Many compared them to the PK3s. For the price, that really doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
1x Sennheiser MX-270 <- Yes... they aren't the previously mentioned MX-580/581s, but I wanted to get a feel for how Sennheiser's products felt to me before I spent $40-$50 on a pair.
1x Panasonic RP-HJE355 <- Now.. this one strays so much from what I was originally looking for, it's almost surprising. But, a favorable recommendation was put forth above. Reviews seemed to confirm the IEM's ability to fit comfortably. 

The Sennheiser's will be here first, so I'll be able to really try them out soon. The BeB's should be here next week. Finally, the Panasonic's will be here in about two weeks (seriously.. that's what my Amazon order review page says (oh well).

Thank you all. I appreciate all of the helpful info.

Oct 8, 2012 at 7:18 AM Post #26 of 27
Instead of the MX270, you could get the MX271. If your ears are really that small, there is a good chance the MX270 won't fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back