Looking for comparable headphones to the XB500.
Sep 17, 2011 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JCH-19

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have the sony XB500 and love them but there are a couple things that I really don't like. First, they leak really bad at any decent volume and also I'm not really liking the looks. Are there any headphones out there similar in sound (especially in bass) that don't have problems and are around the same price ($50) ? Thanks for the help.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #2 of 5

Quote:
Hey guys, I have the sony XB500 and love them but there are a couple things that I really don't like. First, they leak really bad at any decent volume and also I'm not really liking the looks. Are there any headphones out there similar in sound (especially in bass) that don't have problems and are around the same price ($50) ? Thanks for the help.

I tried out the Sony XB500s at a local store, lots of "unrefined" bass,
Maybe the Superlux HD-669 might work for you?

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Heya,

Panasonic RP-HTF600

They sound just as bassy and warm as the Sony XB500, but actually have a better build quality (more sturdy, less bendy thin plastic). They also have better mids & highs out of the box (the Sony requires equalization to get the mids & highs up to sound more balanced). The HTF600 literally sounds like an XB500 that has been equalized, but has a different build, good big pads, an improved sound stage (they have angled drivers & vents). The comfort is pretty good. I've worn my pair for a few days now and it's been no complaints. Good long cord too (XB500 has a short cord). Sweet brushed aluminum backs too.

I love the XB500, but this Panasonic literally replaced it in all ways in my mind. It's even less expensive. They are an incredible value, a total hidden gem. I bought two just so I could give one as a gift to someone and to also mail around to people. Anyone who gets one and doesn't like it, I'll buy it from them. Seriously. The XB500 was my go-to bass head can for the budget. The Panasonic won that title from me essentially.

Very best,

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 5
But since these Panasonic are also semi-closed I assume they also leak quite a bit? The OP seems to be looking for non-leaking alternative but I don't think it exists not with that bass quantity but maybe these Pannys leak less though?

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
But since these Panasonic are also semi-closed I assume they also leak quite a bit? The OP seems to be looking for non-leaking alternative but I don't think it exists not with that bass quantity but maybe these Pannys leak less though?

Heya,

They actually do not leak like a semi-open (you can though hear them if the room is silent). I would say they are not much different in leaking from the XB500 (as these do not isolate very well and also leak sound, and can be heard in a silent room). They do not leak less, that I can be certain of. But I wouldn't say they leak more necessarily.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back