Looking for college (yes another college thread lol)
Apr 29, 2006 at 1:52 PM Post #76 of 94
Slacker, go to WVU!! Not too far from NYC, hot girls, beautiful area, great sports teams, tons of parties, and fairly new business school facilities! Oh, and tuition is pretty cheap.

Of course I'm biased, but it really is a great school. It's espcecially a great alternative to Pitt.....boo, Pitt, booo.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #77 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
I am not too worried about cost of the college at this point because I'll be in debt up to my eyeballs anyways so it doesnt really matter right now lol. I am not looking at any sport teams because I could care less about them, but location is very important.

There are only 5 things that you need to look into:

1) Party scene (make sure you can party any night of the week if you want to).
2) Weather (go somewhere warm...take a vacation for 4 years).
3) Local liquor laws (i.e. CT---> stop selling at 9pm and no Sundays...bars close at 1)
4) Quality of professors (anyone can read a textbook, make sure you sit it on classes. Seriosuly, you may be a shy person but it's worth manning up and actually talking to kids on the campus and sitting in on classes instead of just going through the paces and finding out what year some building was constructed on some unpopular part of the campus).
5) Find out if the school has a rugby team. If so, join whether you're 150 lbs soaking wet or Jose Canseco huge.

Apr 29, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #78 of 94
Well turned out SAT Practice is next week.... bastards lol

SennFan, I actually like NYC weather coz I like winter, and all 4 normal seasons... I could care less about any sport teams. Parties and alcohol on the other hand...
evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #80 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion
Come down to Florida and you can hang with the Florida crew.

I see enough old people here.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #81 of 94
Quote:

I see enough old people here.
evil_smiley.gif

That's cold.
biggrin.gif
Don't call me when you need to bailed out jait for drunk and disorderly at the University of Florida.
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #82 of 94
Quote:

That's cold.
biggrin.gif
Don't call me when you need to bailed out jait for drunk and disorderly at the University of Florida.
evil_smiley.gif

I didnt say YOU were old...

but i meant it
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #83 of 94
Quote:

Well turned out SAT Practice is next week.... bastards lol

SennFan, I actually like NYC weather coz I like winter, and all 4 normal seasons... I could care less about any sport teams. Parties and alcohol on the other hand...
evil_smiley.gif
icon10.gif

"4 normal seasons"...you have NYC mistaken with Upstate NY-- my neck of the woods brother!
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #84 of 94
Quote:

That's cold.
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif

He won't have to because he knows that the University of Georgia is where the fun's at
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 30, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #85 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
He won't have to because he knows that the University of Georgia is where the fun's at
very_evil_smiley.gif

From what I've been hearing from people looking at schools, you are right about that.

May 2, 2006 at 4:36 AM Post #86 of 94
I wouldn't be too defeatist.

If you want to go to UPenn, apply there. I believe you will double your chances if you apply early decision, however (I applied to college last year. I know someone who applied to Penn early decision and got in).

Also, read "A is For Admission". It is written by the former assitant admissions director of Dartmouth. It gives you the precise formula the Ivy League uses to size up your "Academic Index".

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044...g=UTF8&s=books

Even if you are not applying to college, it is a fascinating read (hell, I didn't apply to the Ivys and I read it).

In case you don't want to buy the book, the formula the Ivy's use is the following:

Class Rank* + ((Top 3 SAT Subject Tests)/3) + ((SAT Scores/2))** = Academic Index

* Class Rank is a score taken from a matrix in the Ivy League blue book. They determine it differently depending on how much info your high school provides them.

** I am unsure how they are factoring the new writing section in the formula.

May 2, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #87 of 94
I also read somewhere that UPenn loves when they are your #1 choice.

May 2, 2006 at 2:05 PM Post #88 of 94
From my experience here, this seems to be true. The best thing you can do to up your chances of getting into Penn is to apply Early Decision. (I used to not be allowed to say that as a tour guide, so as not to discourage the regular decision folks, but it's true.)

Then again, I got in regular decision four years ago.

I'd take that Academic Index number with a grain of salt - a person cannot be boiled down to one number, and admissions committees know that. It's a handy way for them to talk about standardized test scores without going through them all individually, but I wouldn't count it as much more. Everyone who applies to the Ivies are excellent academically - where the differentiation comes is the essay and the extracurriculars.

May 2, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #89 of 94
IUP woohoo

i wouldnt suggest it unless you live up to the name...

I Usually Party

May 14, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #90 of 94
Got results of my practice test. 1650, i got about 550 on all 3 sections. not that bad, my goal is to get above 600 on all sections

Users who are viewing this thread

Back