Looking for closed Headphones in The Netherlands - Budget is anywhere from 80-200 Euro's
Sep 19, 2011 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

n00byn4t3r

Head-Fier
What I am looking for are some closed headphones, preferably passive noise isolation. They must also be able to be easily driven on a mp3 player such as the iPod Touch 4th gen or the Touch HD, I don't want to carry a amp around so headphones which really need that are not an option. I listen to Dubstep/DnB/Rock and basically any electronic music. I prefer a warm sound which my Sennheiser HD 555's give me. Preferably I would like to not have Sennheiser this time as I already own the HD 555's/CX400-II and some others from them. They need to be around the ear's and I want them to be comfortable. They will be used whilst traveling so being able to fold them would a plus but not needed.

I have been looking at the Shure SRH-440 and SRH-840 but apparently they have a low amount of bass and there are mixed reports about the amping of them. The Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are also not really an option, I really love them but a friend already has them which makes me prefer not to have them otherwise I feel like copying. The AKG 272 MK II apparently also have a low amount of bass.

Thanks for any help, and be sure to ask any questions you have.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:01 AM Post #2 of 25
AKG K518 DJ, the comfort issues people say are overcome by streatching the headband a bit. Great punchy bass, quick too. too.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:07 AM Post #4 of 25
You can try the GMP 8.35, here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed. This will be the second review, http://www.head-fi.org/products/german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-headphone/reviews

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #5 of 25
I also recommend the AKG K518DJ. It is a good sounding and very portable (they are foldable) headphone that provides plenty of bass. It's not as good as the HD555 or the m50 which I both own but for the price (got it for 50 euros from amazon.de) you can't go wrong. Besides, those other headphones easily cost twice as much and in my opinion they don't sound twice as good. Hope this helps.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
Heya,

Ultrasone HFI 580
Shure SRH750 DJ
Denon D1100

Very best,

Quote:
You can try the GMP 8.35, here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed. This will be the second review, http://www.head-fi.org/products/german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-headphone/reviews

I really like what I have read so far about the German Maestro 8.35D, they are on the expensive side though but I will keep them in mind. Thanks for the review on them, it covered exactly what I want to know about a headphone. The only that I worry about with them is how deep the default earpads are, because on the photo's they looke very shallow and more on ear then over ear.

Quote:
AKG K518 DJ, the comfort issues people say are overcome by streatching the headband a bit. Great punchy bass, quick too. too.

Quote:
I also recommend the AKG K518DJ. It is a good sounding and very portable (they are foldable) headphone that provides plenty of bass. It's not as good as the HD555 or the m50 which I both own but for the price (got it for 50 euros from amazon.de) you can't go wrong. Besides, those other headphones easily cost twice as much and in my opinion they don't sound twice as good. Hope this helps.

I looked at the AKG K518DJ, but I didn't like the fact that they are round and have a Y cable instead of just a one sided cable. I'll keep them in mind as well.
Quote:

Old and not availble anymore.

Currently I am most interested in the:

• German Maestro 8.35D - Most expensive of them all, but also looks the most promising and closest to what I am looking for.
  • Shure SRH-440 and SRH-840 - Although these need an amp to shine they are still worth considering,
  • AKG 272 MKII - Wouldn't it be possible to use a EQ on my iPod that boosts bass?
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Even though my friend has them, I really like them
  • Sennheiser HD 380 - Altough it's Sennheiser they have proved to be good everytime in the past.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 25

Quote:
Quote:

I really like what I have read so far about the German Maestro 8.35D, they are on the expensive side though but I will keep them in mind. Thanks for the review on them, it covered exactly what I want to know about a headphone. The only that I worry about with them is how deep the default earpads are, because on the photo's they looke very shallow and more on ear then over ear.

Currently I am most interested in the:  
  • German Maestro 8.35D - Most expensive of them all, but also looks the most promising and closest to what I am looking for.
  • Shure SRH-440 and SRH-840 - Although these need an amp to shine they are still worth considering,
  • AKG 272 MKII - Wouldn't it be possible to use a EQ on my iPod that boosts bass?
  • Audio Technica ATH-M50 - Even though my friend has them, I really like them
  • Sennheiser HD 380 - Altough it's Sennheiser they have proved to be good everytime in the past.

Maybe you can audition the GMP 8.35 in your area, this way you'll get the best impression.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 25
I'll call some shops tomorrow, but I don't expect any results. The only place I know of that has headphones on display only had low end headphones, some beats and the Shure 840/940 and some AKG model, I think it was the 271. They were also way to loud and looped some pop/dance song which doesn't give a representation.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #10 of 25

Quote:
I'll call some shops tomorrow, but I don't expect any results. The only place I know of that has headphones on display only had low end headphones, some beats and the Shure 840/940 and some AKG model, I think it was the 271. They were also way to loud and looped some pop/dance song which doesn't give a representation.

If you contact the GMP directly they will tell you if they have any Netherlands distributors. BTW, if you like the M-50 you don't have to feel like you copy your friend, because half of the headfi have the M-50 as well.

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:56 AM Post #12 of 25
 I hear the Dre beats are top notch :)

All trolling aside, I got a chance to audition the GMs and I can definitely reccomend them, overall sound wise, they pretty much fit your tastes.

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
I mailed them asking if they can send me a list of Dutch Retailers. Will post to let you know once I have heard back from them.

Great, I hope this will help to other members from the Netherlands.
happy_face1.gif

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 25
Sorry about the double post, but I think it's fair after such an amount of time.

I haven't received a reply from them today either and seeing as that the work day is just about over now in Germany (It's around 17:00 there) I'm beginning to think that they won't be replying.

So I am once again looking around some more for headphones and I have a better determination of what I would want know.

The same things still apply from my OP but I must admit that I really like the AKG K550 (the looks) but they are to expensive more my likings. I would like to made a addition to my post with the fact that I want oval shaped headphones, sorry that I didn't say this before but I forgot to do so.

So one quick list of what I would like, thanks for any help so far and would love to have some more headphones recommended, the list:

Closed back, noise isolating.
Around the ear's, not on the ears.
anywhere from 50-200 or so Euros cheaper is of course always better but I am prepared to spend enough.
A single sided cable would be a plus, but not required.
Balanced sound with a warm tone, sort of like the M50/HD555.
Easy to drive, must be able to use it without a AMP on my iPod Touch 4th gen.
I would also like a nice design, it's not needed (I am still interested in the GMP 8.35d which proves this point) but it would be nice. I consider the HD555/M50/SRH440/840/940/K550 all very good looking.

Summing this up the logical way would probably be the GMP 8.35D but I am just a bit skeptical, will think some more about it.

Also for the people saying that I should just go with the M50, they are around 160-180€ in The Netherlands which is a tad bit expensive for the phones in my opinion.

Once again, thank you all very much for the help and I hope that I'm not to much of a drag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back