Looking for closed headphones for 50$
Oct 25, 2010 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

saar1320

New Head-Fier
I'm not looking for the best sound, just something that I'll be able to hear with it.
I'll buy it on eBay (I live in Israel so the shipping will be kinda high..)

Oct 25, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Koss UR-55 is a good place to start, but are harder to find outside the USA. I was going to suggest the Porta Pro, but those are not closed.
UR-55 sounds just as good, if not better.

I'd also suggest checking reviews on the Maxell DHP-II. They sound far better then the UR-55 but are fragile.

Oct 25, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #7 of 12
I don't own the Maxell DHP-II, but I am repeating what I posted in another thread about these headphones.

I consider the increasing number of reviews about it breaking into pieces to be quite credible. It only stands to reason that handling the DHP-II with normal or reasonable care to be an inadequate way to reduce the chance of breakage. 

Instead, it makes sense to handle the headphones in such a way as to minimize stressing the parts that are known to break - the area between the ear cups and the headband. It is these parts of the headphones that get stressed when grasping the ear cups while putting the headphones on or taking it off.

My suggested solution: 
When putting the headphones on and when taking it off, only grasp the headphones at the top of the headband with both hands. This will instead stress the top part of the headband where hopefully it is stronger and less susceptible to breaking. Of course this is no guarantee - but this seems to be the best chance for extending the life of these headphones.  

Quote:
I'd also suggest checking reviews on the Maxell DHP-II. They sound far better then the UR-55 but are fragile.

Oct 25, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 12
If your main concern is to listen to your music, I would recommend the HAS700. They are easy to drive, very comfortable and portable, the only shortcoming is the mediocre sound quality.

Maxell DHP II is not closed, it's semi-open.

Oct 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #9 of 12
The HAS700 could be OK if needed for portable use. I bought it used, found it to be sibilant and sold it. Most would prefer the RX700 if portable use is not needed.

Quote:
If your main concern is to listen to your music, I would recommend the HAS700. They are easy to drive, very comfortable and portable, the only shortcoming is the mediocre sound quality.

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Oops, didn't check that, but I'm sure you could find one that does ship there, I'd consider them to be a valid option. But that's really the only closed can I've actually heard that are decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back