Looking for closed headphones, $200 budget
Oct 14, 2010 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bum Rush

Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I got tired of listening to my IEMs. I figured my next upgrade should be a great pair of full-sized headphones, so I need your advice.

I listen to a lot of different genres, but mostly rock, pop, and classical. I don't have too many requirements -

- The headphones should be closed-back, look decent and be comfortable, my head is kind of big.

- Overall great sound quality. Warm, clear, smooth. No sibilance/harshness.

- Good amount of bass that is tight and goes deep.

- Emotional vocals.

- Accurate/natural sounding. For example, I hate when pianos sound metallic.

- Good sound imaging/positioning for gaming.

- Easy to drive.

- $200 at most

Thanks a lot in advance for helping!

Oct 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 9
Beyerdynamic DT250 80 ohm version meets all those requirements imo (except maybe for looks).

Oct 15, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 9
HD25-1 might also fit the bill. and worth looking into, here is a good review of them. (Dont expect their bass to sound like beats if thats what you meaning by deep, it is tight and it will go deep but a pocket amp is needed to bring that deepness out of them, my cmoy makes a difference when compared to been driven by just a zune HD) but it might fall slightly short on ur request for warmth as well. I suggest reading review below as others as im bad at describing sound. 
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/70938/review-sennheiser-hd-25-1

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 9
m50eeezzzzzz

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 9
Used Denon D2000/D5000 should fit most of those needs.  Except perhaps the neutrality- they have strong bass and a fairly warm character (two other features you're looking for) but this leaves them with a small emphasis in the low frequencies and some overshadowing of the middle frequencies.  But hitting all the other features is no small feat.  For example the SRH840 meet most of them but have very little soundstage and only ok imaging and are not the most comfortable headphones.  DT250-250 have even smaller soundstage and don't perform nearly at their best without serious amplification.  And don't even consider DT770-80 (can be harsh and metallic and not at all neutral) or K271 (bass not deep and hardly existent) and sadly DT770-600 are not easily driven.

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #7 of 9
While I haven't tried the Denons mentioned above, I would recommend looking into the Shure SRH840.  I found them to reasonably comfortable, and was very impressed with their sound quality.  The drawbacks of the SRH840 would be their limited soundstage (something that is a problem with many closed back cans) and their exaggerated bass, both of which may reduce your enjoyment of classical tracks in particular. 

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:14 PM Post #9 of 9
esw9 if you can get 'em for $200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back