looking for closed cans in the $150 range.. ATH-A700 vs HD 448 vs XXX?
Jan 9, 2011 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

meyameya

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I decided to post here because every time I try to google a product, head-fi seems to be the most helpful.. 

I'm currently using a pair of Monster Turbines Pro Copper edition. Somehow, it's just not doing it for me anymore. It's a great pair of In Ears but I'm just no longer satisfied. I was thinking of upgrading to a pair of full sized headphones. I've had my eye on the ATH-A700s. Could anyone tell me if the change could be considered an upgrade or are the turbine's actually better than the ATH-A700? I know that the In Ears shouldn't really be compared with a full sized headphones but it always seems that full sized ones sound fuller and have better bass. Can anyone comment on this or suggest a better pair? and please take into consideration that I'm on a budget of upto around 150 USD here and that I'm looking for closed full size over the ear headphones 

What I'm looking for:
Comfort - I will be wearing these A LOT. going to the office, in the office, going home from the office, watching videos when I get home as well. this is a really big deal for me. 
Portability - will mainly use this for going to and from work - before you mention about ATH-A700s being huge, I still think I can manage them on my commute to and from work.
Isolation - I will be using them in the office a lot so I can't be using open designed Headphones. Plus I don't like the idea of people hearing what I hear.
Decent Price - I'd say my budget is about 100-150 USD.
Full sized - On Ear headphones tend to be uncomfortable for me.

Also, I am thinking of buying a portable amp. I have my eye on either the FiiO E5 or E7 so driving headphones won't be a problem. I'm choosing between these two because of the bass boost. though the bass is not the biggest factor, I think a decent portable amp is still a good investment. As someone mentioned in some other thread, headphones come and go but an amp lasts longer.

For reference, here are some of the stuff I listen to:
Head Automatica
Envy on the Coast
Franco
Urbandub
Between the Trees
Paramore
The Starting Line
John Mayer

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 5
Woah! I use my headphones the way you do! (to and from the office and while in office) but I use an open can (HD 238) with a FiiO E1. I just turn my volume down while on the bus and it works for me. Are HD 438s too big for you?

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #3 of 5
based on what I've read in the 4x8 series, 448 seems to be the superior one in overall sound quality but I have read several complaints about it getting uncomfortable after a couple of hours. a lot of people say it gets really sweaty in there. as for the 438, I've read that they seem to have more bass than the 448s but have overall lower sound quality with relatively the same comfort problem when using constantly for a couple of hours. 

I've actually considered the HD 448 but after reading about the discomfort in long periods of listening, it kinda turned me off.. as for the ATH-A700s, though it's less popular than the ATH-AD700, it's closed and those are what I need.

In this price range, aside from ATH-A700 and HD 448, the denon 1100s seem to be another popular pick. can anybody give me their input on this?

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 5
You do get warm with them sometimes, after a prolonged time of using, its true. But its not watery, more like moist on the earpads. I take them off for a second, wipe them, and put them back. Works every time.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for the input on the 448s.. I guess the comfort thing is pretty manageable. I won't be able to audition the ATH-a700s should i choose to buy them but I may be able to try the 448s locally. I'd really like to hear a direct comparison between these 2 headphones or a different one all together but under the same category of headphones i'm looking for. I heard about the denon ah d1100s which seem to fit the same category but I have no idea how these stand up to the 448s and a700s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back