Looking for closed cans because of travel but don't want to skimp anywhere.
Jun 20, 2010 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have SE530's with custom tips and SRH840 headphones. I will only be running whatever I get out of an ipod classic(or with the addition of a portable amp). I love love love the sound of the SE530's and they are everything I'm looking for. However, they are annoying to take in and out of my ears when someone tries to talk to me or I have to talk on the phone. I guess I'm just looking for a bit more ease of use without sacrificing sound quality.

So like I said, Ill be traveling and being able to tune out airplane noise and annoying kids is my goal, although I'm not looking for "noise canceling" headphones as I don't feel they produce accurate sound. Also not to have anyone sitting next to me hear what I'm listening to.

After my last trip where I took my 530's with me, I busted out the 840's and did some back to back listenings. I really like the 840's but they seem to need a lot more power than the 530's. Also they seemed to need to have the EQ adjusted a lot more than where i like to have my 530's set to flat. The last thing I noticed was after listening to a couple albums back to back(more folky female artists, nothing heavy) I heard ringing in my ears. I didn't feel like I was listening to them any louder than I would the 530's(which isn't really loud). I hadn't gotten this reaction before other than a pair of Westone UM2's(returned them because of it). So I had let them break in for about 48 hours previously, Im currently letting them sit on my desk breaking in for another couple days to get over the 100hr mark.

So being that I wasn't entirely happy with the 840's I started doing some research and I seem to like a lot of reviews on here for many headphones. This is the problem though, I like too many. So, heres the list of the cans Im thinking of; AKG 271mkII/702, Ultrasone Pro 900, Beyerdynamic DT-770 or 880(I know they arent closed but they get awesome reviews), Denon AH-5000, Audio-Technica ATH-A700.

Im sure Im missing some but you can see that Im willing to go up to around $700 and anywhere in between.

What I listen to mostly is female vocals (Tori Amos, Tegan and Sara, Poe, Heather Nova) with a bunch of rock(Evanescence, Linkin Park, Three Days Grace) and some hints of electronica(Delerium, Metric). I suppose Im not an audiophile like most of you here but I like what I like and I want to hear it amazingly well.

Im pretty technically inclined, I am more home theater based though, so this portable audio stuff is kinda new to me. I dont know all the ins and outs of the verbiage. I just want to put the headphones on and have the best sound possible, I don't want to know why they do what they do.

So based on what I listen to and what Im looking for, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #2 of 18
I'd take the Denons, DT880s, and 702s off your list. They don't isolate particularly well and leak. I think the same is true of the A700s but I'm not entirely sure on that.

Jun 20, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 18

I recall seeing a thread started by skylab reviewing a range of closed phones specifically for flights.  The winner was the Sennheiser HD 25-1 (on ear). 

He found many/most over the ear closed cans with full size chambers tended to pickup something from the plane's engines.   This may be more/less distracting to you. 

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 18
Have you thought of the PTH (Push To Hear) adapter that Shure has for the 530? It will allow you to hear someone without having to take out the IEM. Which is very annoying. I think it fits other IEMs as well. There are also adapters for mobile phone use.

Jun 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
Have you thought of the PTH (Push To Hear) adapter that Shure has for the 530? It will allow you to hear someone without having to take out the IEM. Which is very annoying. I think it fits other IEMs as well. There are also adapters for mobile phone use.

Yeah, I did see that but I guess Im still looking for a set of nice cans. I want something in both worlds. I dont really see any suggestions, only ones not to go with.

Jun 20, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 18
Closed headphones in general are substantially effective less than ANCs and IEMs in blocking out low-frequency noises, especially airplane noise. Some of the cans mentioned are ridiculously large for travelling and do not isolate well, despite being closed (D5000). Open headphones... no, they're home headphones, the good ones need outlet power and you can hear everything outside, and everyone can hear you. Essentially, when travelling, you really have no choice but to make compromises (custom IEMs and the Edition 8 might not, but I don't have that kind of cash). The Sennheiser HD25-1-II is nice and bassy, tough and fairly isolating, but I'm not sure if their mids are nice enough for your purposes. The Audio Technica ESW-series is excellent and portable, but their isolation is even more limited; the M50 gets a lot of praise. I only had a brief listen to the new Beyerdynamic T50p portable, it has nice metal construction, the treble is a bit hot and they sounded brighter than SE530, but that might just have had to do with positioning when I tried them. But it's also possible, if you gave the different signature a chance, that you'll like it more for your genres. 

My advice is to stick with IEMs for the plane trips for sure, and get a different pair for virtually any other use.

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #7 of 18
I ended up ordering the HD25-1 II with replacement copper cable this morning. Still not totally convinced, I have at least a 15 day return period. Those T50p's look pretty good but Id need to get a few reviews here under my belt before I pulled the trigger. Then again, for the price, they wouldn't be hard to also try for 30 days.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #8 of 18
Well good luck with the Senns! let us know your impressions

Jun 20, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #9 of 18
The HD25's wouldn't be an improvement over the SRH840's, with the exception of portability. Still, you have the return period (curse UK consumer laws...) so you can try them out.

Truth is, I'm looking for the same thing... and that chances are that if you name a portable closed phone, I'll have had it. But to date, ironically the most effective headphones when considering comfort, isolation, non-stupid looks and general audio performance on the move that I've come across so far is the Bose Triport AE. Its isolation is not the highest, it's sound quality is definitely not the best, but it's the most liveable-with closed, circumaural portable that I've come across to date. The HD25-1 and SRH840 were close seconds when sound quality was biased more heavily than comfort (HD25) or on-head looks (840), but nothing else has yet to approach these three phones as a combination of those attributes.

Still looking though, and I always check these threads to see if there are any new ones worth buying. I will undoubtedly end up giving the T50p a try. Maybe, just maybe, it's my Holy Grail... although it being supraaural, I kinda doubt it. However, Monster Solo HD's are next.

Jun 20, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 18
yeah I don't think you'll find a true "upgrade" from the SRH840, esspecially with the sound signature you are looking for and isolation needs.  You'll just find different flavors.  Which may very well be all you need.  I would try the HD25, and then try the M50.  Closed, budget headphones have their limitations in ways that IEM's don't SQ wise.  And honestly, even though the M50 is budget I have yet to hear another closed phone that sounds as good.  Well, aside from the very expensive options out there, which aren't portable in the slightest.

Jun 20, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3  
" I ended up ordering the HD25-1 II with replacement copper cable this morning. Still not totally convinced, I have at least a 15 day return period. Those T50p's look pretty good but Id need to get a few reviews here under my belt before I pulled the trigger. Then again, for the price, they wouldn't be hard to also try for 30 days.
Please keep the suggestions coming."

Easy to test. Run the vacuum cleaner and turn up the volume on the TV at the same time to mimic the loud drone and people's conversations. You'll know in a minute if they'll work on an airplane or not.

Jun 20, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3  
" I ended up ordering the HD25-1 II with replacement copper cable this morning. Still not totally convinced, I have at least a 15 day return period. Those T50p's look pretty good but Id need to get a few reviews here under my belt before I pulled the trigger. Then again, for the price, they wouldn't be hard to also try for 30 days.
Please keep the suggestions coming."

Easy to test. Run the vacuum cleaner and turn up the volume on the TV at the same time to mimic the loud drone and people's conversations. You'll know in a minute if they'll work on an airplane or not.

Me, I just go to my colo space. Hundreds of servers in immediate vicinity = pretty good test
tongue.gif

Jun 20, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:

See, its not that I want to entirely block out the outside sound, I want to be nice and not let the passenger next to me hear what Im listening to. Complete isolation isnt what Im totally all about. One of the reasons I had considered the DT880's. They are semi-open but I can imagine my seat neighbor will still hear what I can hear.

Quote:
You can try the GMP 8.35 D Monitor.

Found a great review of them here, look awesome. However, they are just as large and NOT portable as my SRH840's. Thus the smaller sized cans I imagined Id get suggestions for. Maybe Im just asking for something that doesnt exist.

Jun 20, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

IIRC a jet engine is lower frequency than a vacuum cleaner, it really comes in and messes with the bass....

Plus, HyperM3, to be honest there's no point having expensive headphones without isolation in noisy places. I mean, most of the details will be lost. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back