Looking for backup/second player recommendation...
Nov 7, 2012 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dsalomon

100+ Head-Fier
My main portable rig is a iBasso DX100 + RSA SR-71A + Heir Audio 4.Ai.  Audio bliss.

However, I do a lot of work in my yard, renovation work on my 130 year old house, etc.  My main portable setup isn't exactly portable enough to use when I'm swinging a hammer or mowing the lawn.  Besides, I don't want to risk the investment I have in that equipment in that sort of harsh environment.  So, I'm looking for a second rig to use as my "lawn mowing rig" :)  I already have several other sets of  IEMs (not great ones, but ones I'm willing to lose if the cord gets caught in a circular saw :).  Therefore, I don't need additional cans, just a source player.

Here are my criteria:

Small enough to fit in a shirt pocket (doesn't have to be fingernail sized, but I don't want to carry around a brick either).
MUST be able to handle FLAC, ALAC, and MP3 (this one is important, as I have a LOT of ALAC and a rapidly growing collection of hi-res FLAC).
Must have a FAT32 microSDXC or SDXC slot so I can move music easily from my DX100 and/or my computer to the card for use with the DAP.
Enough battery to last all day (10-12 hours).
Would prefer 24/192 support, but I can live with 24/96.  Downsampling is OK, but native playback is preferred.
User interface is not terribly important, as long as I can figure out how to use it and it can play en entire album at a time.  Playlist ability is important.
I don't need video player capability.
I don't need line out capability - just headphone.
Not too painful on the wallet.  Seems like every time I turn around, my wallet is screaming at me. :)

I know I could use just my DX100 without the SR-71A in an Otterbox type case for the necessary protection, but I worry about the heat build up.  If I knew it would be OK in such a case, I'd just stick with my DX100 and buy a suitable case.

So, in summary I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations on 2 fronts:

1. Something that fits my criteria listed above.

AND/OR

2. Any feedback from anyone who has used the DX100 for an extended time in an enclosed box that can assure me that it doesn't overheat and let out all the magic smoke. :)

Thanks - any and all feedback is welcomed.

David

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #2 of 4
The Samsung Galaxy S player 3.5, 4.2, Sony A, F, X series walkmen, Philips Go gear, Cowon X9, D2+, J3 are recommended and they all sound great through HP jack.

Nov 8, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
The Samsung Galaxy S player 3.5, 4.2, Sony A, F, X series walkmen, Philips Go gear, Cowon X9, D2+, J3 are recommended and they all sound great through HP jack.

Zarim -

Duh.  I have a Galaxy S III, and I know it has pretty good sound.  I didn't even think about that when I wrote that stupid post.
confused_face.gif
  I even had a spare 64GB microSDXC, which I've now popped in there to replace the smaller one that was in there, and put some of my music on it.

So, I just use that now when I don't want to risk the high end portable equipment.

Thanks for the feedback!!

Best regards - David

Nov 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 4
Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB, $40, comes with micro-SD slot.

Try asking your question(s) on the anythingbutipod website.

Also check out the website Rockbox, free custom firmware for portable audio players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back