Looking for Audiophile headphones (over ear)
Nov 17, 2010 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Audiophile1811

500+ Head-Fier
Hi. For the past few month I've been debating whether I should buy a pair of full size Sennheser's excellent HD650's of Shure's SE535.
I like, or rather love, everything about these headphones except for a couple of things.
The SE535s are great and would be a dream come true but I have been wanting an over ear set of headphones for years now. All I own are IEMs. I want a proper FULL SIZE headphone experience for once. But at the same time they lack in two areas for me.
One, they are open-back and I prefer closed back.
Two, they are not portable at all. They'll let sound come in and out.
The Shure's deal with both of these well.
What would you reccomend?
Thank You, A1811.  

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 4

Quote:
Hi. For the past few month I've been debating whether I should buy a pair of full size Sennheser's excellent HD650's of Shure's SE535.
I like, or rather love, everything about these headphones except for a couple of things.
The SE535s are great and would be a dream come true but I have been wanting an over ear set of headphones for years now. All I own are IEMs. I want a proper FULL SIZE headphone experience for once. But at the same time they lack in two areas for me.
One, they are open-back and I prefer closed back.
Two, they are not portable at all. They'll let sound come in and out.
The Shure's deal with both of these well.
What would you reccomend?
Thank You, A1811.  

I suggest deciding where you'll use them most, then make your decision accordingly.

I can only offer you this:  I currently own the SE535's and the HD600's (which are similar but not identical to the 650).  I can tell you this about the 600 vs. the 535's, there is no comparison (for me).  The 535's lack the balance, the highs and the lows of the 600's.  The 535's mids are forward, but lack texture or bite.  The highs have very little sparkle and sound rolled off to me.  The bass, again, lacks depth and life.  Overall they are too polite (for me).  The 600's, on the other hand are fantastic. They are closer to neutral or balanced than any IEM or headphone I've owned.  They work for every genre and are very detailed throughout.  When I'm home, the 600's are on my head. If I'm on the go, I prefer my Westone 3's, but that's a story for another time.

I have read that the Earsonic SM3 resembles the HD650 in presentation, but I can't confirm.

food for thought...

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 4
Here are a couple solutions for your delimma :

Shure SRH 840

Ultrasone PRO 900

Sony MDR-7509HD, MDR-900HD

All of these 'phones are of the closed back variety so you won't have to worry about ambient noise intrusion and all three have a foldable design for easier portability.  All are excellent choices and should compare nicely to your top IEMs and since you have your eye on Shure's top in-ear monitor maybe you take a close look at the SRH840s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back