Looking for an upgrade from Shure SRH440
Aug 11, 2011 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

casanova

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am looking for a pair of circumaural closed cans for Rock.. yoo hoo "Rock". I am willing to spend 80% of my wage which equal to about 150$.

Apparently I have own a pair of Shure SRH440 and now I am looking for an upgrade.

Also could anyone tell me a little more about the Mids? Is Rock genre is Mids-centric music?

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
Hi, I am looking for a pair of circumaural closed cans for Rock.. yoo hoo "Rock". I am willing to spend 80% of my wage which equal to about 150$.

Apparently I have own a pair of Shure SRH440 and now I am looking for an upgrade.

Also could anyone tell me a little more about the Mids? Is Rock genre is Mids-centric music?

Save a wee bit more, and get a Grado SR225.

You will appreciate waiting.

You can get them for $170 shipped from Headphones.com with the 15% HeadFi discount.

Yes, Rock is all about the mids my friend. And Grados do it. They can be very bright, very forward, which makes them hard to listen to for some people. In which case, there are great alternatives, like stepping up to the Shure 840 which you already are familiar with the Shure line. You could look into the DT770 used or ebay in that range. You could look into the Ultrasone HFI 580. You could look into the AudioTechnica M50. For a bit more, you could even squeeze into a Sennheiser HD598 ($180) though it's open.

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Save a wee bit more, and get a Grado SR225.

You will appreciate waiting.

You can get them for $170 shipped from Headphones.com with the 15% HeadFi discount.

Yes, Rock is all about the mids my friend. And Grados do it. They can be very bright, very forward, which makes them hard to listen to for some people. In which case, there are great alternatives, like stepping up to the Shure 840 which you already are familiar with the Shure line. You could look into the DT770 used or ebay in that range. You could look into the Ultrasone HFI 580. You could look into the AudioTechnica M50. For a bit more, you could even squeeze into a Sennheiser HD598 ($180) though it's open.

Very best,

Not much of a upgrade.

OP, save up and get a SR325i
Whole different quality to them if you can get a hold of $200. Just save up and you'll be thanking yourself. There is no need to make $50 jumps as a upgrade.

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Not much of a upgrade.

OP, save up and get a SR325i
Whole different quality to them if you can get a hold of $200. Just save up and you'll be thanking yourself. There is no need to make $50 jumps as a upgrade.

How is the SR225 not much of an upgrade over his Shure 440's? Where's the $50 jump?

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #5 of 9
Yeah I got your point :D. Thanks for making me realize that there won't be much improve for the 150 range headphones. I guess all I can do it trying to save as much as I can. And then, I can come back again later with a little more budget <250$.. :D

I will sure be looking to your advice to check out the Grado SR225.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #6 of 9
Yeah, closed cans at around that price range won't be that much better (the Grados are open cans, by the way). In the meantime, you could spend around $20 on a pair of SRH840 earpads. A lot of SRH440 users upgrade to these pads -- it gives a subtle improvement in sound (tames the highs and improves the bass a bit), a better seal, and much better comfort.

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Sennheiser HD595
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back