Looking for an entry level, COMFORTABLE set of headphones
Jan 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

BadFish81

Head-Fier
I've read through a few similar threads, but everyone has slightly idiosyncratic things they're looking for, so thought I'd make my own.

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile yet, I've purchased a few entry level earbuds like Westone UM1's and Triplefi 10's, neither of which I find particular comfortable for more than an hour, I've perused these forums quite a bit, just don't have the money to go all out yet. :wink:  I am quality conscious though, and not afraid to fork over a little extra to get a great product.

About my situation, I work for at least 9 hours a day at my computer, music and caffeine are my lifeblood.  The 9 hour part is the tricky thing because I purchased a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-ES7's a little while back when they were in the Amazon Gold Box, I loved their size and compactness, but man after several hours I just want to rip them off my head, they're too tight, they don't cover my ears, it's just painful.  So looking to upgrade.

I honestly listen to all kinds of music, I have over 70 gigs of high bit rate music that I play from either my laptop or my Zune HD.  Occasionally I'll listen directly to Pandora.  The music I listen to the most at work is probably Electronic, Acid Jazz, Rock, etc.  Basically upbeat stuff with a beat.  Examples are Theivery Corporation, RJD2, Ratatat, Franz Ferdinand, Karl Denson, Movie Soundtracks, etc.  I enjoy base but I don't want it to drown out everything else.  Because I want them for a work setting, I'd prefer closed ear over open ear.

From my research, and looking at sales (my ceiling price is probably about $200, preferably more like $150.) I've come down to these so far:

Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro - I tried these out at the guitar center, wasn't an ideal environment or music, but they definitely felt comfortable for the short time I had them on.  The music all felt pretty muted but from what I understand these performance headphones are built to be amped.  The clarity was definitely a step up from what I've heard before.  At $199 they're a bit steep, cord was a bit rediculously long, but thats nitpicking.

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 - Read a lot of great things about these, I also got a chance to try them out at the Guitar center though my experience was very similar to the 770's.  Felt kind of muted though the base was a little more distinguishable, seemed really comfortable, I didn't notice the tightness other people have mentioned in reviews but maybe the model I tried was stretched out.  These are going for a very attractive $120-130 on Amazon right now, I'm probably leaning towards these at the moment.

Audio Technica ATH-M700 - I'm unsure if these are considered an upgraded model to the M50's, I've read that they are more comfortable though the reviews on this site seemed a bit lacking.  I'm not too crazy about the look with th looping cords over the head, but the price is pretty amazing on amazon for $111 right now, so if someone can vouch for their quality and comfort, they may be a great option.

Sennheiser HD595 - I've always kind of liked the designs of Sennheisers, these are one of the few that aren't open ear, still not sure on these, they look really nice and are only $150.  Though the reviews on this site seemed a bit lackluster.

I'm open to other recommendations, thanks in advance!

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 7
The 770/880/990's will open up a bit when they're amped and have a good DAC, but I wouldn't call them muted -- definitely not like the M50's. 

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 7
DT770's are very decent, indeed benefit from some kind of amping

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 7
I meant to follow up on this thread but I've been working 12 hour shifts all week, SERIOUSLY in need of a good set of headphones, I was going to wait until after the move this weekend, but I'm desperate for some great tunes on a comfortable set of headphones.  Seems like people tend to lean towards the DT770's over the M50's around here, and they did just drop 20 bucks on Amazon, so I think I'm about to take the plunge.

The one thing that's holding me back a bit is I just discovered the Senn HD380Pro's, I really like the design of them, and I like the idea that they collapse and come with a case for toting back and forth from work.  With $200 phones I probably wouldn't want to leave them laying on my desk day to day.  Also just heard about the Beyer-Dynamic DT250 which I've read good things about.

But of course I'd love to hear some feedback on how they compare against the DT770's in both quality and comfort from some people with more trained ears that have tried them both.

Jan 6, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 7
Also, in case it influences anyones suggestions, I'm tentatively planning on picking up an ibasso T3 a week or two after with some of my overtime cash. :wink:  I've read it would be a good choice for mp3 players, or anything without a dedicated line-out because of the gain control. I believe, still pretty new to this and lacking the time to research as much as I'd normally like. :wink:

Or I've heard good things about the Little Dot MK I.  Both are about right at the spot I'd be willing to spend on an amp.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 7
After 2 hours of reading reviews on this site to try and pinpoint which headphones to go with, all I did was end up with another set to consider... guess that's how it goes around here.

The Denon AHD2000, I really love the classic look, I've read lots of great reviews on this site, and that they're comfortable and fit loosely on the head.   At around $230 they're a bit over my previous budget, but the price isn't scaring me away either, just might be another week before I get an amp.

So guess it's down to:

Denon AHD2000
Beyer DT 770
Beyer DT 250
Audio-Tech M50 seems to have fallen out of favor on these forums, but they're still sitting at the bottom of my list.

Jan 6, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 7
The DT250 would definitely not be a bad choice.  They should drive a bit easier than the DT770, and while they have less bass, they still have a pretty solid low end, but tons of clarity throughout the spectrum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back