Looking for an amp/DAC for Sennheiser HD 650
Sep 13, 2019 at 9:42 PM Post #17 of 25
Sep 14, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #19 of 25
OK, very bad idea then. Well, this is why I'm here. :ksc75smile:
I guess there's no easy way to control each volume individually...
Why do you need to have both headphones active at the same time.

Sep 14, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #22 of 25
I went ahead and got the Pro-Ject Head Box DS.

...and to my ears at least, the HD 650s still sound like s***.

So, at least it's not for the lack of power. The bass side of things still feels hollow compared to the 518. Like there's no substance to the bass hitting or booming. I know these are not bass-heavy headphones, but still. I mean the 518 aren't bass heavy and there's plenty of it for me. I read here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hd650-bass-light.493420/ of similar experiences, but it still baffles me how this can be satisfactory to anyone. Or are these ones indeed just busted...

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #23 of 25
Alright, reporting in...

HD 650 are definitely not broken.
After a couple of hours of testing and comparing:

Music like The Cranberries sounds pretty damn good with the 650. Rock and Metal music seems a total mix bag, literally: it depends pretty much how it's mixed.

Chinese Democracy plays pretty ballsy, Appetite for Destruction very thin and unimpressive. Ironic, I know. :L3000:
Diablo's "Icon of Flesh" sounds ball-droppingly heavy, bass included.
Clapton: Layla unplugged, Ok, I was pretty close to crying here, sounds so screwing good.

But I listen to a lot of synthwave, retrowave, darksynth etc. electronic music and it sounds pretty much all unimpressive. This is why I thought the 'phones might be broken. Somehow the lower end seems if not totally missing, wholly unimpressive and I can't make out the details I could with the 518. This still puzzles me because I'd think even with clearer or cleaner emphasis headphones you shouldn't totally lose some parts of the soundscape. Then again the theme from 'The Expanse' plays flawlessly including the lows.

I now also hear clearly the shortcomings of the 518, since the 650 beat them on pretty much everything but the hit/miss bass. So, can't go back to those!

Anyway, before this turns into a novel: thanks to all that assisted and offered their opinion on the matter at hand! Greatly appreciated.

PS. I went from one set of "These are great!" headphones to two pairs of "These are OK, but..." headphones and it only cost me 435 €, isn't HiFi great! :dt880smile:

Sep 14, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #25 of 25
Alright, reporting in...

HD 650 are definitely not broken.
After a couple of hours of testing and comparing:

Music like The Cranberries sounds pretty damn good with the 650. Rock and Metal music seems a total mix bag, literally: it depends pretty much how it's mixed.

Chinese Democracy plays pretty ballsy, Appetite for Destruction very thin and unimpressive. Ironic, I know. :L3000:
Diablo's "Icon of Flesh" sounds ball-droppingly heavy, bass included.
Clapton: Layla unplugged, Ok, I was pretty close to crying here, sounds so screwing good.

But I listen to a lot of synthwave, retrowave, darksynth etc. electronic music and it sounds pretty much all unimpressive. This is why I thought the 'phones might be broken. Somehow the lower end seems if not totally missing, wholly unimpressive and I can't make out the details I could with the 518. This still puzzles me because I'd think even with clearer or cleaner emphasis headphones you shouldn't totally lose some parts of the soundscape. Then again the theme from 'The Expanse' plays flawlessly including the lows.

I now also hear clearly the shortcomings of the 518, since the 650 beat them on pretty much everything but the hit/miss bass. So, can't go back to those!

Anyway, before this turns into a novel: thanks to all that assisted and offered their opinion on the matter at hand! Greatly appreciated.

PS. I went from one set of "These are great!" headphones to two pairs of "These are OK, but..." headphones and it only cost me 435 €, isn't HiFi great! :dt880smile:

Mastering of a particular album can make a massive difference in the way any headphone will sound. IIRC I read that there was three versions of Chinese Democracy that Axl had to choose from,and he chose(oddly)the "audiophile" version,as opposed to the Loudness War version that ruined many albums ,like Oasis,RHCP,etc... Having a nice set-up will reveal the good,and bad,in mastering techniques.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back