HD650 Bass Light?
May 22, 2010 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 129

Gubretti

100+ Head-Fier
So I just got a pair of HD650s, the older black cover version that is suppose to be dark, veiled, and bloated bass. Everything that one could want :D BUT after listening the bass is on par with my old SA5000 and I don't hear that veil at all. The only sennheiser sound I can hear is that "laid back" signature. Are my amps not powerful enough? I'm using mullards in my EF2A, and the volume is at 10 o'clock, and on the D1 its the same 10 o'clock. 

May 22, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 129
The HD650s are just revealing what your upstream gear sounds like. The soundcard you are using has a harsh sound (I owned it).

May 22, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 129
I found the HD650 also to be "Bass light".  they don't have punch to them and just not fun for me to listen to.   the only music genre i find them good at is classical which don't require strong bass.

May 22, 2010 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 129
I wasn't that impressed with the HD650 much at first compared with the SA-5000 but after a while I grew to using them more often. The bass on mine are heavier and deep.

May 22, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #7 of 129
some refer to "veil" or "laid back" as a roll off in the highs which the HD650 do have comparing to other "hot trebeled" phones.  some see those terms in a recessed midrange,like the denon headphones for example.  I guess both ways are equal to look at the term laid back,but IMO the HD650's mids are upfront and not laid back at all, they even sound a little too aggresive (not grado aggresive) coming from my headroom SS rig.   there is an annoting peak somewhere in the low treble/high mid range that i find very disturbing. 

May 22, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #10 of 129
I'm listening to hip-hop now.  Lets put it this way, bass is sufficient for hip-hop.  I think thats good enough bass.

May 22, 2010 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 129

Quote:
I'm listening to hip-hop now.  Lets put it this way, bass is sufficient for hip-hop.  I think thats good enough bass.

really??  you people have rather low demand for bass.  have you ever listened to hip hop with a close bass heavy can?  the HD650 have no punch and that's a fact.

May 22, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 129
Quote:
really??  you people have rather low demand for bass.  have you ever listened to hip hop with a close bass heavy can?  the HD650 have no punch and that's a fact.

In defense of the HD650 I have found when listening to bass heavy music such as trentemøller on closed bass heavy cans (HFI-780 / Denon D2000) the beat is the forefront of the music, when you listen to the same on a more detailed can (Sony SA5000 etc) the detail and melody of the music is more apparent. Being the huge electronica/techno fan I am I've moved from those bass heavy headphones to the more detailed one and fine I not only enjoy my music a lot more, I'm listening to it in more detail and in turn this music appreciation has turned me onto other genres.

May 22, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #14 of 129
The intensity of the bass is comparable to my Beyer 600ohm on my amp. I think there is a phase difference as the 650 seams much tighter  and punchier.  I think for hip-hop delayed bass is desired.  my k701 on the other hand is rather weak, thats what I consider weak bass wise.  I think bass needs power, so I would think the intensity of the bass depends on how much power the amp is giving the headphones.

May 22, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #15 of 129

Quote:
In defense of the HD650 I have found when listening to bass heavy music such as trentemøller on closed bass heavy cans (HFI-780 / Denon D2000) the beat is the forefront of the music, when you listen to the same on a more detailed can (Sony SA5000 etc) the detail and melody of the music is more apparent. Being the huge electronica/techno fan I am I've moved from those bass heavy headphones to the more detailed one and fine I not only enjoy my music a lot more, I'm listening to it in more detail and in turn this music appreciation has turned me onto other genres.

The ultrasones definitely beat the denons for bass heavy music, and what you say about the sonys I find to be untrue. I didn't enjoy electronica enjoyable with the large soundstage, I found it to be life leeching. It literally sucked out that bass pumping, jaw dropping energy of electronica music FOR ME. Of course everyone has there own tastes and preferences but thats what I experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back