Looking for advice.. Audiophile in Training (Gamer)
Jan 2, 2011 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Scytus

100+ Head-Fier
Over the course of a year I've been reading/researching different headphones.. on and off. I always planned to buy a pair but different circumstances arose when I moved out of my parents home, searched for roommates, began continuing college, etc..

Well I'm actively reading these forums again and noticed that Amazon has some great deals up at the moment such as these:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A700-Audio-Technica-Headphones/dp/B000E9VKUQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294011093&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD595-Performance-Premiere-Headphones/dp/B0001FTVE0/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294011118&sr=1-2

So as of right now I'm searching for great online deals to jump on such as these, and have come to ask the head-fi forums for assistance, as this community seems to be the most knowledgeable on the subject.
I've been mostly interested in, but not limited to, brands such as Audio Technica, Sennheiser and Grados. (The ones that usually receive the most commendation) 

A couple things I'm looking for :

Quality: Exceptional sound quality, of course. My music taste varies, though I tend to listen to composed music (orchestrated, etc.), electronic, or just normal classical.

Comfort: I'll be using these for several hours at a time when I'm gaming; or even when just completing homework assignments, while listening to music. I've had past experiences before where I've worn headphones that I've had to take off for brief periods, just to cool my ears off. This is something I really want to avoid.

Cost: If theres such a tremendous deal (such as the 60% discounts I found on amazon for those high quality headphones), I'll most definitely jump on them. My main focus at the moment is searching for great deals like that. Otherwise I'd really rather not spend above $100. I'm also not really interested in used headphones from the for-sale forums, Its just a rule of mine to never buy used electronics.

Type: Closed Headphones (?). I do like enjoy the soundstage, isolation and soundleak-less aspects of closed headphones, so I would assume these would fit my needs?

Style: I like the sleek styling of some Sennheisers, but really like and appreciate the retro style of Grados. Sleek, Retro or even a combination, I'll be happy. I did like the look of the new Tron-inspired headphones (I can be a sucker for LEDs) coming from monster cable..but then again I would've probably gotten something a tad more subtle. I'm also pretty doubtful in the quality, and am not looking to pay $300.

Other things to mention:

Surround Sound: I'm not really interested in surround sound, every review I've read points to it as somewhat gimmicky in headphones.

Microphone: I haven't really been able to find any headsets that share the same quality of headphones; plus I hate non-retractable mics. But if there is such one, I wouldn't mind the mention.

So to summarize, I'm looking for tremendous headphone deals to get the best quality for the money, fill my gamer needs of lasting comfort & soundstage.

As I was writing this post, I also found this thread: Quest for Holy Grail of gaming sound!, and they recommend the Open-air headphones? or am I misunderstanding? I assumed closed would've made a much better sound stage?

Also are sound cards really that vital, or can I just insert the headphones directly to my laptop?

Thank you for any assistance, I can never be too sure of my purchases x]

Jan 2, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #2 of 30
So you want soundstage, good for classical and gaming? Senn HD555/595 is a possible candidate, although I'd say wait a bit and look around for the HD558 to get cheaper - it'd nail the styling and sound aspects pretty well, IMO.

Also, open beats closed when it comes to soundstage, except in Grados, where it doesn't. A good soundcard will be important once you get better headphones. Do not do it the other way around, it's a waste of money.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 30
From what I understand people like a really dynamic and exciting sound for gaming, but as far as music goes not many people like something that extreme. If you use a good media program on the computer, EQ can be a lifesaver at times like this. I would recommend Grados, which are really forward and in-your-face, and EQ them down so they're not quite so dynamic if necessary for music. Open cans would be preferable as they usually have a better soundstage, though there are some exceptions.

IMO you'll get a better sound quality jump by getting a USB DAC instead of swapping your sound card. Of course once you get into audio you'll want both.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #5 of 30
All your suggestions seem to point toward open-air headphones, which makes me feel as if I should focus completely on those. To be honest the main contender I was considering was the ATH-A700.

I'm really curious though, I always thought that the isolation from outside sounds to be more immersive w/ closed cans? in terms of gaming, course.

..I really like isolation, dislike bleed, and the extra bass would be welcome? Or I really think I might be misunderstanding something.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 30
hmmmm.... i truly dont understand why people think A700's are good for gaming other than the soundstage.....

I mean from my experience they're really bright, and after playing AC2 with them on, my ears hurt after hearing a high-pitched water lapping sound from a nearby waterfall ingame.
IDK maybe it's just me.

now to answer your question, even the A700 leaks, and yes it leaks quite a bit. YOU will be isolated from the outside, but others will hear what you're doing. But i don't think your playing videogames in a construction zone are you? so open will most likely be fine.

Jan 2, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #7 of 30

Quote:
All your suggestions seem to point toward open-air headphones, which makes me feel as if I should focus completely on those. To be honest the main contender I was considering was the ATH-A700.

I'm really curious though, I always thought that the isolation from outside sounds to be more immersive w/ closed cans? in terms of gaming, course.

..I really like isolation, dislike bleed, and the extra bass would be welcome? Or I really think I might be misunderstanding something.

Open headphones have better sound separation and soundstage (directional sound that sounds like it's coming from outside of your head). Closed headphones generally have very weak soundstage and separation.

When you're gaming at home, do you really care about sound bleed or letting sound in? Usually closed headphones are for noisy and/or sensitive enviroments like public transport or work, not in your own controlled home.

HD555 would probably be up your alley for $100. HD555 and HD595 are nearly identical headphones, the difference is that the HD595 has a leather headband, and the HD555 has an extra piece of dampening foam in the driver which you can remove, so don't go out of your way to pay extra for the HD595.

Also, the ATH-A700 and ATH-AD700 are completely different headphones. A700 is closed, AD700 is open.

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #8 of 30
Okay well now I'm considering getting the ATH-AD700, or the HD555 and doing the 595 mod. I'm assuming the sound bleed isn't tooo heavy; Though do these provide a nice amount of bass? I'm worried about the bass-loss with open air headphones.

Are there any other comparable products from the Denon, Grados, Beyer, or AKG lines?

I've been also reading of "Semi-Open" headphones, would those better suit my needs?

The ATH-AD700 is where I'm feel as though I'm leaning towards at the moment, but that odd purple color is keeping me weary 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 2, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
Okay well now I'm considering getting the ATH-AD700, or the HD555 and doing the 595 mod. I'm assuming the sound bleed isn't tooo heavy; Though do these provide a nice amount of bass? I'm worried about the bass-loss with open air headphones.

Are there any other comparable products from the Grados, Beyer, or AKG lines?

I've been also reading of "Semi-Open" headphones, would those better suit my needs?

The ATH-AD700 is where I'm feel as though I'm leaning towards at the moment, but that odd purple color is keeping me weary 
rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Should I also consider the Denon AH-D1100?

If bass is important, don't get the ATH-AD700. The HD555 has more bass, but it's still somewhat weak in the bass department. At the $100 pricerange, you don't really get to choose wide soundstage and bass at the same time, or rather if you do they require an amp. Semi-open headphones for all intents and purposes nearly the same as open headphones, my T1 are "semi open" but people can make out what I'm listening to all the way across the room when I'm at a normal volume. You have to give up something, or dump more money into it.

The denons should be pretty solid if you don't mind the reduced soundstage over open headphones (if you're already using closed headphones currently, that might not be a big deal).

Jan 3, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 30

Quote:
Quote:

Are there any other comparable products from the Grados, Beyer, or AKG lines?

rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Should I also consider the Denon AH-D1100?

If bass is important, don't get the ATH-AD700. The HD555 has more bass, but it's still somewhat weak in the bass department. At the $100 pricerange, you don't really get to choose wide soundstage and bass at the same time, or rather if you do they require an amp. Semi-open headphones for all intents and purposes nearly the same as open headphones, my T1 are "semi open" but people can make out what I'm listening to all the way across the room when I'm at a normal volume. You have to give up something, or dump more money into it.

The denons should be pretty solid if you don't mind the reduced soundstage over open headphones (if you're already using closed headphones currently, that might not be a big deal).

Currently I'm borrowing my roommates Panasonic RP-HTX7; they're okay. But they are closed cans and I do appreciate the isolation I get from them (sometimes there's someone playing on the 360 or watching a movie in the background), though I honestly have no real hands-on experience with quality headphones, so if all of you say open-air is better, I'll go that direction.

Right now I'm aiming towards the 595 (mainly because you directed me away from the AD700 for bass reasons), been reading its more comfortable than the 555.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 30
M50 are a different style of 'good' for gaming. I prefer them over the HD595 because of their precise directional queues. 

Both the 595 and Ad700 lack bass. The 595 has more, but if you're going to buy something that has little bass, go for the ad700 since it will do everything else better.

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 30

Quote:
HD555/595 for open cans, M50 for closed ones.

Should I opt for the HD595 for 139, or go HD555 for 93? If theres a difference in comfort/quality, I wont mind paying 139; I've read even with the "595 mod", the 555 isn't quite the same.

On the issue of bass, how extreme is it with the open 555/595? I do prefer a good amount but I'm not the type that needs a heavy supply to be satisfied.
Also would I need an amp to listen to these cans? I really rather not add extra clutter to my desk/laptop; Though I've read that if you don't you'll get the infamous "Sennheiser Veil" (Source: Newegg review).

Jan 3, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 30

Quote:
M50 are a different style of 'good' for gaming. I prefer them over the HD595 because of their precise directional queues. 

Both the 595 and Ad700 lack bass. The 595 has more, but if you're going to buy something that has little bass, go for the ad700 since it will do everything else better.

Now I don't know which direction to go anymore xD

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 30
As an avid gamer, you can really increase your advantage with great open cans and a x-fi sound card with CMSS-3D.  It really works GREAT and is a real advantage in blackops!  Forget the 595, you can buy a 555 and do a Tape mod.  I haven't used them for gaming, but they are supposed to be good.  I have always used the DT-990 and Auzentech forte.  It is outstanding (positionally) and fun (good explosions).  However, it almost requires an amp.  Auzentech is great because it offers true EAX/X-fi positional and a quality dac.  It adds a decent headphone amp.
For a good all around, save money by getting the HD-555, tape mod it to a 595, and buy a Auzentech Forte (or Prelude if you don't have a pci-e slot available).
You will have an great setup for gaming and music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back