looking for a speaker setup
Jan 20, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #106 of 161
  and i wont be using it just for music, my computer is always 24/7 so yeah technically whenever the av receiver is on my desktop is always on.im using it to play games and stream

If the computer's running 24/7 and its cooling system is silent enough for you then go with the optical cable.

option 1. basically use the digital optical output from my motherboard connecting it to the marantz av receiver 6009. 
then 2 hdmi cables , connecting it to both my monitor to the graphic card? 

doesnt the av receiver need an output?

Output to what? It will have an output from its amplifier to the speakers, what other outputs are necessary? Video? You're bypassing the receiver already. Normally you'd use HDMI1.3 or higher so it carries audio, but if you're having trouble with such a set-up particularly in a dual monitor system, then bypass HDMI and go direct to the DAC of the receiver. The main difference in such a set-up is you won't be able to see what you're tweaking on the receiver up on the screen, but in this case at least there aren't any issues with your dual display.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #107 of 161

If the computer's running 24/7 and its cooling system is silent enough for you then go with the optical cable.

Output to what? It will have an output from its amplifier to the speakers, what other outputs are necessary? Video? You're bypassing the receiver already. Normally you'd use HDMI1.3 or higher so it carries audio, but if you're having trouble with such a set-up particularly in a dual monitor system, then bypass HDMI and go direct to the DAC of the receiver. The main difference in such a set-up is you won't be able to see what you're tweaking on the receiver up on the screen, but in this case at least there aren't any issues with your dual display.

so basically Digital Optical Audio cable from av receiver to my motherboard.
and both the monitor using both hdmi cable to my graphic card? correct? thats the setup i should go for right? just trying to make sure, im afraid i blow something up lol, before i even use it.

what i meant is hdmi out from the receiver. usually hdmi out is being connected to a TV.

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #108 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhowk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

what i meant is hdmi out from the receiver. usually hdmi out is being connected to a TV.

Normally yes, as HDMI simplified everything - you would run one single HDMI cable from your source - PC, video disc player, HT server, etc - and it carries audio and video. The receiver splits them up, sending the audio through its DSP while the video is routed back out to the display.

However in your case you have a multi-monitor set-up, and if it's causing glitches, then just skip running the video through HDMI. As long as the PC is still your source then you will still see the video in your primary monitor.

If you run another source for video that's when you hook up the HT receiver. If you ever have to do this, I suggest hooking up the monitors to the GPU using DVI, that way you can use the monitor's HDMI to get an input from the HT receiver.

so basically Digital Optical Audio cable from av receiver to my motherboard.
and both the monitor using both hdmi cable to my graphic card? correct? thats the setup i should go for right? just trying to make sure, im afraid i blow something up lol, before i even use it.

Basically, yes. 

motherboard >>Optical>> A/VReceiver
PC 
Graphics card >>HDMI/DVI>> Monitors

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #109 of 161

Normally yes, as HDMI simplified everything - you would run one single HDMI cable from your source - PC, video disc player, HT server, etc - and it carries audio and video. The receiver splits them up, sending the audio through its DSP while the video is routed back out to the display.

However in your case you have a multi-monitor set-up, and if it's causing glitches, then just skip running the video through HDMI. As long as the PC is still your source then you will still see the video in your primary monitor.

If you run another source for video that's when you hook up the HT receiver. If you ever have to do this, I suggest hooking up the monitors to the GPU using DVI, that way you can use the monitor's HDMI to get an input from the HT receiver.

Basically, yes. 

motherboard >>Optical>> A/VReceiver
PC 
Graphics card >>HDMI/DVI>> Monitors

thank you very much again! :) very helpful. is there a good av reiceiver to recommend? for elac b6 (pair) + a s10 subwoofer from Elac.that is decently cheap and does it job of what i need it for my setup?

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #110 of 161
Quote:
thank you very much again! :) very helpful. is there a good av reiceiver to recommend? for elac b6 (pair) + a s10 subwoofer from Elac.that is decently cheap and does it job of what i need it for my setup?

Don't you have the SR6009? Just keep using that one - you're not going to get many newer feature much less an improved amplifier section on any other newer receiver.

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #111 of 161

Don't you have the SR6009? Just keep using that one - you're not going to get many newer feature much less an improved amplifier section on any other newer receiver.

that receiver is actually for my main tv, together with a surround system Kef with it. either way i need to buy a receiver, im planning on leaving sr6009 to the tv. and get a cheaper decent one for this elac b6 and s10 setup for desktop usage

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:19 PM Post #112 of 161
Quote:
that receiver is actually for my main tv, together with a surround system Kef with it. either way i need to buy a receiver, im planning on leaving sr6009 to the tv. and get a cheaper decent one for this elac b6 and s10 setup for desktop usage

I'd just get the cheapest Marantz that you can find, as long as it has a subwoofer output (as all HT receivers do); if you can find a modern stereo receiver like the ones I linked before at a good price, by all means grab one of those if you prefer. However, if you don't need the network funcitonality on those, might as well get a cheap A/V receiver, that way in case the Marantz needs to be repaired (hopefully not), you have a surround-capable receiver as back up. At that very close distance you're not likely to push it well into audible distortion range anyway, and in case you have to use it in the HT system, at least it still does surround.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #113 of 161

I'd just get the cheapest Marantz that you can find, as long as it has a subwoofer output (as all HT receivers do); if you can find a modern stereo receiver like the ones I linked before at a good price, by all means grab one of those if you prefer. However, if you don't need the network funcitonality on those, might as well get a cheap A/V receiver, that way in case the Marantz needs to be repaired (hopefully not), you have a surround-capable receiver as back up. At that very close distance you're not likely to push it well into audible distortion range anyway, and in case you have to use it in the HT system, at least it still does surround.

Av receiver and modern stereo receiver is technically the same thing without network? or which is better? av receiver or modern stereo receiver?
ill check out marantz see is a pretty reputable brand.

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #114 of 161
Av receiver and modern stereo receiver is technically the same thing without network? or which is better? av receiver or modern stereo receiver?
ill check out marantz see is a pretty reputable brand.

The best are normally 2 channel amplifiers. Then you get into monoblocks :)

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #115 of 161
Quote:

NO, there are A/V HT receivers, and there are stereo receivers. When one says "A/V" (more on this later) or "HT" it usually means it works with surround audio programs - it has a five- or six- or seven-channel amplifier, plus one or two subwoofer outputs (which doesn't matter since they're just one mono program anyway). When one says "stereo," it just means two channels. Stereophonic means two channels through two speakers, or you the listener has two ears; stereoscopic means you the viewer (or as where it's usually used, a driver, as in a driver's license) has two functional eyes (ie if you were an 18th C pirate, some countries have restrictions for your driving); etc.

Now, most current model HT receivers and some stereo receivers have Network capabilities. read the whole thread, I posted links to some Network-capable stereo receivers.

And now the tricky part - modern stereo receivers apart from getting network capabilities can do "2.1" audio. While no CD recording has a dedicated subwoofer channel on it, the receiver can otherwise send at least a summed output - ie, both channels mixed into a mono channel - to go to an active subwoofer. Look at the Network-capable stereo receivers I posted pages ago, I mentioned this already. The other is that some take HDMI outputs as well - in some cases it's for SACD, in other cases it's mostly just to simplify connections as HDMI is more convenient depending on what sources you use. They don't have any actual video processing as on higher model HT receivers, but the thing is you can hook up a BluRay with no other outputs than HDMI and analogue to it, get 2ch sound out and still just use one cable out of the BRP and then one from the 2ch receiver to the HDTV, if at least for those who don't have the space for surround speakers but still want to use larger speakers with a more powerful amp. Those that support HDMI 1.4 with ARC, or (digital) audio return channel, can also have certain sources plugged directly into the HDTV to rout the digital audio to the receiver when you prefer, the most likely being a cable or streamer box - so if you're watching a sitcom which is mostly vocals then just use the HDTV's speakers, but when you watch something worth getting popcorn and dimming the lights for, like LOTR, you just hit a few buttons and then you get better quality sound for it through your 2ch system. No surround, but hey you have bigger speakers getting cleaner power, if not also a sub, so the projectiles being lobbed at Minas Tirith can still shake your living room even if you don't get surround effects like how the Uruk-hai were wheezing and breathing all around you (literally) just outside of the Hornburg.

Jan 31, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #116 of 161
The best are normally 2 channel amplifiers. Then you get into monoblocks
smily_headphones1.gif

NO, there are A/V HT receivers, and there are stereo receivers. When one says "A/V" (more on this later) or "HT" it usually means it works with surround audio programs - it has a five- or six- or seven-channel amplifier, plus one or two subwoofer outputs (which doesn't matter since they're just one mono program anyway). When one says "stereo," it just means two channels. Stereophonic means two channels through two speakers, or you the listener has two ears; stereoscopic means you the viewer (or as where it's usually used, a driver, as in a driver's license) has two functional eyes (ie if you were an 18th C pirate, some countries have restrictions for your driving); etc.

Now, most current model HT receivers and some stereo receivers have Network capabilities. read the whole thread, I posted links to some Network-capable stereo receivers.

And now the tricky part - modern stereo receivers apart from getting network capabilities can do "2.1" audio. While no CD recording has a dedicated subwoofer channel on it, the receiver can otherwise send at least a summed output - ie, both channels mixed into a mono channel - to go to an active subwoofer. Look at the Network-capable stereo receivers I posted pages ago, I mentioned this already. The other is that some take HDMI outputs as well - in some cases it's for SACD, in other cases it's mostly just to simplify connections as HDMI is more convenient depending on what sources you use. They don't have any actual video processing as on higher model HT receivers, but the thing is you can hook up a BluRay with no other outputs than HDMI and analogue to it, get 2ch sound out and still just use one cable out of the BRP and then one from the 2ch receiver to the HDTV, if at least for those who don't have the space for surround speakers but still want to use larger speakers with a more powerful amp. Those that support HDMI 1.4 with ARC, or (digital) audio return channel, can also have certain sources plugged directly into the HDTV to rout the digital audio to the receiver when you prefer, the most likely being a cable or streamer box - so if you're watching a sitcom which is mostly vocals then just use the HDTV's speakers, but when you watch something worth getting popcorn and dimming the lights for, like LOTR, you just hit a few buttons and then you get better quality sound for it through your 2ch system. No surround, but hey you have bigger speakers getting cleaner power, if not also a sub, so the projectiles being lobbed at Minas Tirith can still shake your living room even if you don't get surround effects like how the Uruk-hai were wheezing and breathing all around you (literally) just outside of the Hornburg.

I see thank you very much! been really helpful, 
lastly i want to know my marantz sr6009, gets hot while its on. so if i get another av receiver for my desktop. since my desktop is on 24/7 my receiver will be on 24/7. will it burn down or spoil relatively soon? since it actually gets pretty hot and stuff?
p.s mymaratnz sr6009 is using my tv. so at most i watch 6 hours and i off it. but for my desktop is going to be on 24/7. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #117 of 161
Quote:

I see thank you very much! been really helpful, 
lastly i want to know my marantz sr6009, gets hot while its on. so if i get another av receiver for my desktop. since my desktop is on 24/7 my receiver will be on 24/7. will it burn down or spoil relatively soon? since it actually gets pretty hot and stuff?
p.s mymaratnz sr6009 is using my tv. so at most i watch 6 hours and i off it. but for my desktop is going to be on 24/7. 

Heat is always a risk. It won't necessarily burn your house down but the components inside wear out. People who leave their stuff on all the time also live in colder climates, so don't just buy their "switching on/off kills your amp more!" advice without taking the ambient temps where you are into account, since the amp won't be any cooler than that, putting you closer to the point where some components might take a hit if they're exposed to it long enough.

Note that while your computer can remain running 24/7, what do you have on the CPU for example? A Noctua NH-D15? Thermalright HR-22? BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3? The amp output chips on receivers or their DSP chips have nothing close to that, on top of which you have intake and exhaust fans that move air. Add to that how you aren't going to be there actually listening/watching 24/7, so why leave the HT receiver running? It's not like a tube that needs 15mins or so to warm up.

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #118 of 161
Alright, I got my Vanatoo T1's and I'm having a little dilemma.  I want to hook up my PC and a future turntable to them.  But I also want to control both sources from 1 device.  At the moment I can only control the volume through Windows, which I don't like.  This is what I was thinking.

PC>USB to coax or spdif converter> Amplifier/receiver
Turntable>phono preamp>----------->  with preamp out

Will this work?  I'm not sure if adding a few devices between the pc and speakers themselves will change the sound quality or type that much, but the less the better.

I probably sound really dumb but that's why I'm here 
k701smile.gif

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #119 of 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by radmanhs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, I got my Vanatoo T1's and I'm having a little dilemma.  I want to hook up my PC and a future turntable to them.  But I also want to control both sources from 1 device.  At the moment I can only control the volume through Windows, which I don't like.  This is what I was thinking. 

PC>USB to coax or spdif converter> Amplifier/receiver
Turntable>phono preamp>----------->  with preamp out

Will this work?  I'm not sure if adding a few devices between the pc and speakers themselves will change the sound quality or type that much, but the less the better.

I probably sound really dumb but that's why I'm here 
k701smile.gif

The only problem I see here is cost. A relatively new receiver that has both digital input for your PC and analogue input for the TT, plus a preamp output will definitely not be a cheap receiver. Preamp outputs especially are only available on some midrange units, plus the high-end and flagship models. A Zone 2 "preamp" output isn't actually controlled by the volume knob in some models, and in some cases, to prevent piracy, the digital input to the receiver does not work to send audio out that Zone 2 output.

What will make it all easier for you, and also with a smaller footprint on your desk, is to use a bunch of Schiit units. Use a Schiit Mani phono preamp for the TT, then maybe use the Modi2 (via USB input, but note that there are cases of driver issues; in which case, you can get the Modi2 Uber, and then use a USB to coax converter that works on your PC), and then hook up both of them to the Schiit Sys - a 2-input passive preamplifier. The total cost would be around $300, but unlike a used receiver for the same money, these will have brand new unit warranties if you order from Schiit. Plus the overall footprint is a lot smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back