Looking for a portable amp with similar (or better) technicalities as the O2 amp
Oct 28, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #16 of 29
  Thanks bro! I've heard sorensiim talk about the quickstep too, but I never knew it was available in europe.
It's only €285, which is dead cheap (if it's actually better than the O2).

Today I got to test the C5+DX50 in the train. It's wayyyy too big and heavy. And the worst thing is, I really don't notice the added SQ when I'm forced to stand in the train because it's so busy.
So I'd rather carry around the pico amp, or quickstep, with some dual lock on the back and attach it to the DX50 when needed.

I think Quickstep would be safe choice. First of all, Made in Germany
biggrin.gif
Also there is a discount for the moment. Back in time I asked ClieOS which amp is the closed to O2 but portable instead of transportable, he suggested strongly Quickstep. I was about to order but then I purchased SE5way and no money anymore
frown.gif

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #17 of 29

I think Quickstep would be safe choice. First of all, Made in Germany
biggrin.gif
Also there is a discount for the moment. Back in time I asked ClieOS which amp is the closed to O2 but portable instead of transportable, he suggested strongly Quickstep. I was about to order but then I purchased SE5way and no money anymore
frown.gif

Yeah I saw the discount, very nice :3
However, I am having a hard time finding a good detailed review on the quickstep.

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #18 of 29
  Yeah I saw the discount, very nice :3
However, I am having a hard time finding a good detailed review on the quickstep.

Check its thread, there is a lot of info there. Okay you will need to read a lot and all but, that's what this hobby also demands
wink.gif
Or just order it, don't even read anything. I am sure you gonna like it.

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #19 of 29

Check its thread, there is a lot of info there. Okay you will need to read a lot and all but, that's what this hobby also demands
wink.gif
Or just order it, don't even read anything. I am sure you gonna like it.

Yeah I saw that thread, it contains reviews from other meier products too. And I'm super lazy! But I did read that it's very neutral sounding, which I like a lot. It also looks amazing.

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #20 of 29
  Yeah I saw that thread, it contains reviews from other meier products too. And I'm super lazy! But I did read that it's very neutral sounding, which I like a lot. It also looks amazing.

Build quality wise I think there is no issue but the shape of it is a little weird. It doesn't look like your "average portable amp". However, if I wasn't in the market for daps, I think I would order while there is a discount.

Some people use rechargeable batteries with it while some others use powerbanks with some funcy cables. If you read there is more to discover but if I bought it, I would stick with 9V rechargeable batteries I think.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #21 of 29
My best take on Meier amps, think Wire with Gain. They are the most neutral amps I've used. They add very little to nothing to color the sound. They also are dead silent with amazing black background. I'm not a big IEM user but every can I've used either in Low or High I get no grain/hiss or anything. They really are amazingly Clean and Transparent. Also the soundstage is very 3-D, it kinda just floats around your head. Fantastic!!!

As mentioned you can use a powerpack or 9v. Myself use a Hitech rechargable Li-ion. I'm using the older XXS, I haven't really counted Hrs on a charge but I'm guessing maybe 40 or so. Which is dang good for a 9v. EBL also makes a very good Li-ion, you can get a 2 pack and dual charger for less then $20 on ebay. I recommend the Li-ion because they don't drain out while not being used, it's like 10% a year or something. Charge it, it stays charged.

Oct 28, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #22 of 29
X2 stupid Camino!!

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #23 of 29
My best take on Meier amps, think Wire with Gain. They are the most neutral amps I've used. They add very little to nothing to color the sound. They also are dead silent with amazing black background. I'm not a big IEM user but every can I've used either in Low or High I get no grain/hiss or anything. They really are amazingly Clean and Transparent. Also the soundstage is very 3-D, it kinda just floats around your head. Fantastic!!!

As mentioned you can use a powerpack or 9v. Myself use a Meier Audio QuickStep. I'm using the older XXS, I haven't really counted Hrs on a charge but I'm guessing maybe 40 or so. Which is dang good for a 9v. EBL also makes a very good Li-ion, you can get a 2 pack and dual charger for less then $20 on ebay. I recommend the Li-ion because they don't drain out while not being used, it's like 10% a year or something. Charge it, it stays charged.

Bye, bye money.

Lol, I just figured out I can use the batteries from the O2 for the quickstep :p And I can use the O2 as a 9v charger XD

Yeah, that amp sounds amazing, I'm buying. Might not be the most portable amp out there, but most pairings with the DX50 is too big for me.

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #24 of 29

Bye, bye money.

Lol, I just figured out I can use the batteries from the O2 for the quickstep :p And I can use the O2 as a 9v charger XD

Yeah, that amp sounds amazing, I'm buying. Might not be the most portable amp out there, but most pairings with the DX50 is too big for me.

I've been AB-ing between the O2 and quickstep for a couple of hours now. The quickstep is definitely not better than the quickstep. If you think the quickstep is 3D sounding you should take a listen at the O2. The O2 is more open and neutral sounding, but the quickstep is slightly fuller sounding, with bass that is slightly boosted (atleast compared to the O2). In some songs, male vocals were slightly more realistic and euphoric sounding on the quickstep. I think it's going to be very hard to find an actually better sounding SS amp than the O2. Maybe something different, but probably not better. Definitely not in the same price range.

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #28 of 29
i own both o2 (1x, 2.xx , 6.xx cant remember) and c5.....they are sound same....except the top-end i think it is a bit different. Otherwise, i dont think c5 is warm.

Leckerton is good option I think, if you mostly use the iem and require better battery time. :)

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #29 of 29
  i own both o2 (1x, 2.xx , 6.xx cant remember) and c5.....they are sound same....except the top-end i think it is a bit different. Otherwise, i dont think c5 is warm.

Leckerton is good option I think, if you mostly use the iem and require better battery time. :)

The C5 was a bit warmish with compared to the O2. But maybe warm isn't the right word, maybe it's just slightly less resolving than the O2. It seemed to smooth things over a tiny bit. Which is absolutely fine if your cIEMs don't already have a very warm sound, and unresolving treble.

The hunt for trying to find a better portable amp than the O2 is on hold indefinitely. After buying the €275 quickstep, I've found that no portable amp is going to be significantly better than the O2. And I'm way, way too poor to spend that kind of money on something that's just slightly different sounding, not even better.

Regarding solid state amps, I don't think there is something that is significantly better, that's also remotely in the same price range as the O2.
And strangely enough, I'm finding my cIEMs to sound pretty darn good out of the DX50 lately! Maybe I finally found the perfect EQ setting, or the firmware update actually did change the sound, or maybe I just got used to its flavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back