looking for a pair of new IEMs
Mar 2, 2011 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

GoldenSausage

New Head-Fier
hi guys my old Sony MDR-EX32 r starting to malfunction so i am now looking for new a new IEM.  the problem is that i dont know much about IEMs.  There r so many brands to choose from.  Theres shures, denon, westone, ultimate ears, etc etc in which particular brands have particular strengths n weaknesses (ie. shures having weak bass).  My budget is around 50-100, nothing too expensive.  I heard denons have the best bang for the buck not sure if thats true or not.  I have a strong preference for strong bass.

Been looking at the denon ah-c260 for a reasonably priced $50 and i really like the aesthetics of it.  Been also looking at the ultimate ears 700 which also looks very appealing to me but is a bit out of my price range (would still buy if they are really that great).  By the way, are dual armatures always better than single armatures?

Has anyone tried the above 2 IEMS before?  Any advice/recommendations would be very much appreciated thanks.

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 24
any1?

Mar 2, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #3 of 24
Hi,

If you liked the warm sound of your Sony buds, I wouldn't recommend the UE700's (I've owned them) since they're a lot brighter and can be a bit of a shock if you're used to (and like) the Sony sound.

What's your budget? You didn't list a currency, just a figure.

You could start with a cheapish pair of Denons, which tend to be quite bassy and not too different in sound to your Sony buds (lots of bass for example). I've had the C551 and C700/710's and they were all miles better than my Sony stock buds - even the dirt-cheap Denons were better. Or if you want to stick with the Sony sound, what about some EX300's? They're not too expensive and they get pretty good reviews.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=&q=sony+ex300&rlz=1B3GGGL_en-GBGB357GB357&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=2159597465767332653&sa=X&ei=mkduTcmSLYGZhQfH7LxN&ved=0CCUQ8wIwAQ#

You'd probably find them quite a decent upgrade from your current phones. But I'm sure you'll get loads more suggestions if you're patient
smile.gif

In the meantime, while you're waiting for more feedback, you should definitely check out this amazing thread...

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-150-iems-compared-jvc-ha-fx700-fad-fi-ba-ss-1964-t-added-02-27

There's a ton of information there, and the categories are sorted by price brackets, so you might find that really helpful.

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #5 of 24
thanks a lot for the useful information u gave me.

you r very right on about my preference about the "warm" sound im used to.  i tried upgrading to the shures se115 before but they had almost no bass and sounded worse to me no matter how hard i tried to get used to it and was forced to refund them.  i guess im biased because my very first experience of IEMs was with the sony walkman phone series with the stock IEMs and the MEGABASS feature.  Now even my sony mdr-ex32 combined with bass booster on my iphone 4 sounds lacking in bass.

but ya i would say my budget is 100.

Mar 3, 2011 at 6:37 AM Post #7 of 24
bump for more suggestions

Mar 3, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #9 of 24
oic.......been looking at the fischer eterna as well

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #10 of 24

Quote:
oic.......been looking at the fischer eterna as well

yeah, i bought the fischer eterna's but haven't received them yet.

I reckon you should just buy the Eterna's from gd_audiobase ($70USD) and see if u like them or not. WIth all the positive praise they have, your bound to like them and they should be a great upgrade over your MDR"s.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #11 of 24
any1 know how the fischer eterna stacks up against the sony mdr-ex300?  im not an audiophile and part of me is making me wana buy the sonys because they look nicer.  aesthetics matter to me o.o

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #12 of 24

Quote:
any1 know how the fischer eterna stacks up against the sony mdr-ex300?  im not an audiophile and part of me is making me wana buy the sonys because they look nicer.  aesthetics matter to me o.o

they wouldnt be comparable, eterna's are leagues ahead

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
they wouldnt be comparable, eterna's are leagues ahead

if aesthetics matter, get the visang r03/brainwavz m2 or the fischer silver bullet

Mar 4, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #14 of 24
hmm...wht abt eterna vs denon ah-c700 or ultimate ears 700?  for me bass is most important

Mar 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM Post #15 of 24

Quote:
hmm...wht abt eterna vs denon ah-c700 or ultimate ears 700?  for me bass is most important

what do you want 
bass quality, quantity
also, would you consider urself basshed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back