Looking for a pair of headphones for around $50
Aug 3, 2010 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TheFlyingFish

New Head-Fier
HI all.  I'm looking for a pair of headphones for around $50 for music/a little bit of gaming.  I'm not a big audiophile - the most expensive headphones I've ever had (don't laugh) was a Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000 headset.  So, I'm going to college now, and I decided I want a pair of decent headphones for the occasion.  Here are my criteria.

-They need to be comfortable.  This is the #1 thing.  The LX-3000s weren't very comfortable because, although they were supposed to be circum-aural, the ear cups weren't big enough to fit around my ears - my ears are somewhat large, but not overly.  I don't think.  

-They need to be closed, around-the-ear, circum-aural, whatever you call it.  I vastly prefer headphones that go around my ears to those that sit on my ears.

-They need to be durable.  I don't want to have to buy a new pair every 6 months.  I want these headphones to last several years at least.  I'm not going to be using them that heavily, but I tend to be a little rough on the headphones that I do use.  I do things like forgetting I'm wearing them and walking away from my computer with them still on, dropping them off my desk, snagging the cord on various objects and giving it big jerks, etc.  Obviously, I'm going to try to be careful with these headphones, but accidents happen, and I'm kind of clumsy.  I want something that's not going to fall apart if I look at it funny.  

-I would like it if they do at least a decent job of cutting out ambient noise.  They don't have to be great at this, but I would prefer as much as I can get for $50 (or less).  However, this is the least important of my criteria, so I don't care as much about it as I do about things like comfort level.

Most of the music I listen to is classical.  I have some orchestral, but the majority of my instrumental stuff is piano music (I'm a pianist).  Also, I love vocal polyphany (Tallis, Palestrina, etc), so that as well.  So I'd like something that will remain clear in the higher treble ranges, while still providing a decent amount of bass.  Like I said before, I'm not a big audiophile or anything, but I am a musician, so it's not like I have a tin ear.  

I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD203s, which seem like they would be a pretty good fit for what I want.  Recommendations?

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Well the cheapest headphones that sound good are the grado s60.

They also are designed to be driven by crap, so you do not need a separate headphone amp.

They are however not enclosed or comfortable.

So they do not really fit your requirement, but amazing phones for the money, am hoping that when you hear the noise, the rest won't matter

Aug 4, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #3 of 5
Yeah the Grado SR60s are really nice, but they're not comfortable, and definitely let tons of outside noise in. Also, they sit on your ears, and are not circumaural. They also let lots of noise out as well. This is coming from someone who just bought a pair of SR80i cans, and I love them to death, but they definitely take getting used to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back