looking for a new sound - DONE (for now)
Mar 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

kukrisna

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I've sort of been off head-fi since January since I'm studying in London for the semester. Having been to lots of [classical] concerts during my time here has sort of made me think about what I want in my sound at home.

Currently I've a set of the K701 that I really do love. And I have them running out of a PreSonus Central Station (that won't be changing any time soon). I appreciate the clarity, the tone, and the detail. That being said, and I'm not sure if this is frequency related, I feel the sound doesn't have time to breathe. Don't get me wrong though, I don't necessarily want a laid back or leisurely sound. I just feel that, perhaps because the drivers sit so close to the ear (I don't generally have an issue with speakers), the sound just gets funneled into my head...like a mad and nervous high energy. Too much pressure it feels like, even when it's not loud. So...I guess what I'm searching for is something that has the traits of the K701, but that allows the sound to breathe and enter the ears comfortably. K1000 was my first light bulb, but perhaps something a bit less expensive...$300 and under preferably.

Though who knows if I'll buy. But this issue is something I've been thinking about.

Thanks in advance!
-Keith

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 34
I'd give the K500/K501 a try. They have a bigger soundstage than the k701 and give time to breathe without being laidback.

Mar 25, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #4 of 34
I know the feeling you are talking about. I get it with senn phones. IMO, though, the 701s are some of the most airy phones out there, so I don't know where you could go from there.

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd give the K500/K501 a try. They have a bigger soundstage than the k701 and give time to breathe without being laidback.

x2

Haven't heard the K500 but own the K501. Either one should give you what you're missing. The downside is both are out of production but do come up in the for sale forum. There is a pair of K501s for sale there right now.

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 34
The K-501 is a better option, as is the K-1000, if you want to spring for a pair. I think the K-1000 would be worth incurring debt for. Also, the Central Station will drive a K-1000, believe it or not. I used to run my K-1000 off one a few years back.

Though you might be interested in a little Speaker-Fi, as well. There are a number of great used speakers in the ballpark of the K-1000, and the Central Station makes a fine preamp. An older solid state amp for a hundred or two would be enough to push most pairs.

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 34
Well, there's an Ergo 2 and a QP85 Dual Action for sale . . .

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #9 of 34
well...if anyone wants to know, i did own the K501 at one point...i did love their soundstage but i felt detail and bass just were not where i wanted them and for whatever reason (and i know many people disagree) i preferred the K701...stax seem like a road i'd like to walk down one day but damn...K1000...ugh...haha

Mar 26, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well...if anyone wants to know, i did own the K501 at one point...i did love their soundstage but i felt detail and bass just were not where i wanted them and for whatever reason (and i know many people disagree) i preferred the K701...stax seem like a road i'd like to walk down one day but damn...K1000...ugh...haha

Did you try the RS-1??

Mar 26, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 34
and do you all think the smaller soundstage is worth it? because i do love me some soundstage...

it's hard to describe what i'm looking for...as i originally said, i want something where the sound has time to breathe so that it's not pounding on my ear all the time...basically space between me and the musicians but not to the point where things get sluggish...PRAT is definitely fun after all...

Mar 26, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have purchsed a pair of AKG K 242 HD, they are semi-open give them a look.

i was actually thinking about the K240DF some time ago as they are supposed to mimic speakers and room acoustic effects to some degree...but then i heard they arent so hot...and i feel that since i've already been through the K501 and currently own the K701...maybe i'd try a different brand? not sure...

to elaborate more on what i have in mind - i'd like a lot more depth to my soundstage rather than a horizontal essence - something that really gives a sense of space...with great instrument placement and detail and well represented natural tones/frequency range that's pretty dynamic - i dont need something too high energy but if the music calls for it, i suppose i'd like it to be there - clarity is key...and again...i basically want a K701 but have the sound to breathe more, lots of depth, more clarity without peaking up the highs, and a tad more bass response

tall order i know...but i guess this is more informative than anything else...

im curious if anyone else shares a similar desire? should i just hit up speakers? haha i have a pair of monitors that i often resort to casually but when i want to have an aural eargasmic experience, i always pick up the headphones

Mar 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #15 of 34
Have you thought about the AD2000s? Some swear by them, others detest them. See if you can try them out; one things the high end ATs have is "room to breath" in the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back