looking for a new sound - DONE (for now)
Apr 30, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #31 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes i think i've narrowed it down to:

HD600 + ATHM50

or

DT48E

comments? i'm leaning towards the DT48E, but could be swayed either way...

of course i could buy all 3...do a comparison...and return that which i dont like...eek...

Ya, do that. I think that's the best solution (or you can start with either and swap it out if you don't like it).

Apr 30, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #32 of 34
yeah i think tomorrow im gonna head over the B&H and buy the HD600 and the DT48E...evaluate them over the weekend...then on Sunday return one or both & possibly pick up the ATHM50 based on my evaluation...

May 2, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #33 of 34
Hi All,

So yes...I've found my new sound for the time being...drumroll please...HD600!

I went to B&H yesterday and picked up the DT48e and the HD600, and started comparing both last night, and pink-burned both overnight, and this morning have been continuing my comparison, but I think I've already decided on the HD600 (meaning there will be a K701 up for sale in the very near future). Here are my comments:

In the big "DT48e arrival" thread, I've already posted my impressions, but basically, while I do appreciate its speed, clarity, separation, and detail retrieval, it is as kool bubba stated, basically a corpse. It is, IMHO (YMMV), hollow, thin-sounding, with "no" bass, little impact, and extremely sterile. No body or soul. It is flat, but after having been to so many concerts, being a classical musician myself, and having done 5 internships (4 at studios, and 1 at the Royal Academy of Music in London), I will say that based on my experience, it does not replicate that which I consider music very well, and I don't think it was every really meant to either. Beyerdynamic says on its website that these are meant for broadcast/field engineers who need something to comply to the ENG/EFP specs...none of which really relate to music I don't think (I could be wrong). It could be my gear, it could be that I'm looking for something else...but these cans will not be hanging around.

On to the HD600. What a difference from my memories of the HD580, and what a contrast to my (well burnt in) K701. I feel that many of my complaints of the K701 have already been outlined in this thread, but basically I felt the soundstage was too wide, there was too much depth (not enough focus), the treble can be annoying when it's not brilliant, and that there just was not enough bass or impact. The HD600, IMHO, addresses all these issues. Soundstage in particular is more focused, and frontal imaging improved quite a bit (enough to satiate me at least...) I've started to care less for details (unless in sound design for films but the HD600 is fine there as well), and more about the music. I don't need the unrealistic separation that the DT48e presents...I need the textured oneness and impact and feeling of music itself and I think, aside from the very slight bloated bass (which improved a good deal after a night of pink noise), that the HD600 provides that which I have been looking for. It's nice to hear the double bass now, just like I would sitting in Barbican Hall. Don't make the mistake that classical music has "no bass." Bass is actually quite prevalent, and according to my uni conductor, rather important as well. Meant to be heard. Oh...and no veil...(it was there in the HD580...)

I feel the HD600 really does what I wanted the K701 to do, and from my memories, the HD580 was not as refined. I am very glad I made this purchase, and I think once I return the DT48e and sell the K701, I might invest in a Cardas cable upgrade.

To address my recording needs, I will also probably pick up the ATH-M50.

But yes...I'm glad I went ahead and did this evaluation. HD600 FTW!

Thanks again to everyone for all their help.

-Keith

May 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #34 of 34
From a well heeled source, akg 401 or senn hd 600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back