looking for a new sound - DONE (for now)
Mar 26, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #17 of 34
What happened to the Stax crew that used to Stax-up the place when it comes to headphone recommendations? Do they all only stay in the high-end forum now?

Mar 26, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happened to the Stax crew that used to Stax-up the place when it comes to headphone recommendations? Do they all only stay in the high-end forum now?

Maybe they can't afford internet access now? Significant others finally saw the bill and punished them?
wink.gif

STAX would probably fit all your needs, if your willing to foot the bill. If not, search the forms for cans that are said to be like electrostatics, since it sounds like you want that sound.

Mar 26, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 34
argh but stax are so pricey! but they do intrigue me...one day down the line hopefully...

i think i will do a search on what dynamics sound like stats (at a lesser price)

Apr 16, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #20 of 34
Hi All,

Sorry to bump, but I think I've started a temporary list of phones that I can afford and that are easily findable. To refresh, my current setup, which will stay the same, is basically a PreSonus Central Station, and the can that I currently have (that I may sell) is the K701.

Here's what I'm considering (in no order):

HD600 w/M50 (as I need a new studio can)

or, if anyone thinks it fits the bill, just:

DT48E

I am of course open to other suggestions in that price range. Cans that have already been mentioned are: RS-1, STAX, AD2000. I'd like to remind everyone that I've owned the K501 and favored the K701, and the HD580 (but not with the HD600 mod). I found the K501 soundstage too wide (not deep enough/not enough focus), lacking bass, and difficult to lock on to certain details. I found the HD580 too sluggish and to be cliche, veiled. My current issue with the K701 is that while I enjoy its presentation, sometimes the treble energy will be too much, I still wish for slightly more energy in the bass, and in general, I really am looking for depth in my soundstage. I want something focused that puts space between me and the music (like speakers) without going too wide, without getting too laid back. I definitely want the impression of a club, or a concert hall, if that's what the recording wants to present. I want the sound to breathe so that my ears do not become fatigued by air pressure (like speakers). And again, that middle image/impression of depth in a soundstage is what I'd like to have.

In my price range (or with headphones in general), I do not know if what I'm looking for is achievable, and I'm not so inclined to upgrade my components as the CS has other uses at the moment as well. If the consensus turns out to be that I should save my money up for STAX or the K1000 or something else, then I'll do just that.

And yes, I listen mainly to classical, jazz, and classic rock but I do also enjoy a slew of other genres, and I love to watch movies and play the occasional game (but not in any competitive sense).

Sorry to come across so heavy haha. But I'm really rather clueless at the moment.

Best,
Keith

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and do you all think the smaller soundstage is worth it? because i do love me some soundstage...

it's hard to describe what i'm looking for...as i originally said, i want something where the sound has time to breathe so that it's not pounding on my ear all the time...basically space between me and the musicians but not to the point where things get sluggish...PRAT is definitely fun after all...

Keith, Do your self a favor and listen to a RS-1
happy_face1.gif

Apr 17, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by kukrisna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi All,

Sorry to bump, but I think I've started a temporary list of phones that I can afford and that are easily findable. To refresh, my current setup, which will stay the same, is basically a PreSonus Central Station, and the can that I currently have (that I may sell) is the K701.

Here's what I'm considering (in no order):

HD600 w/M50 (as I need a new studio can)

or, if anyone thinks it fits the bill, just:

DT48E

I am of course open to other suggestions in that price range. Cans that have already been mentioned are: RS-1, STAX, AD2000. I'd like to remind everyone that I've owned the K501 and favored the K701, and the HD580 (but not with the HD600 mod). I found the K501 soundstage too wide (not deep enough/not enough focus), lacking bass, and difficult to lock on to certain details. I found the HD580 too sluggish and to be cliche, veiled. My current issue with the K701 is that while I enjoy its presentation, sometimes the treble energy will be too much, I still wish for slightly more energy in the bass, and in general, I really am looking for depth in my soundstage. I want something focused that puts space between me and the music (like speakers) without going too wide, without getting too laid back. I definitely want the impression of a club, or a concert hall, if that's what the recording wants to present. I want the sound to breathe so that my ears do not become fatigued by air pressure (like speakers). And again, that middle image/impression of depth in a soundstage is what I'd like to have.

In my price range (or with headphones in general), I do not know if what I'm looking for is achievable, and I'm not so inclined to upgrade my components as the CS has other uses at the moment as well. If the consensus turns out to be that I should save my money up for STAX or the K1000 or something else, then I'll do just that.

And yes, I listen mainly to classical, jazz, and classic rock but I do also enjoy a slew of other genres, and I love to watch movies and play the occasional game (but not in any competitive sense).

Sorry to come across so heavy haha. But I'm really rather clueless at the moment.

Best,
Keith

The 48e is a unique beast. One owner claims with the 48 his ears don't hurt or ring from rock like his other headphones.. Another member thought the dt48 was better then the 501 in many ways.. The dt48 and K1000 do share some similarities, minus sound stage & them being open cans.. I never heard a headphone that tells it like it is better then the dt48.. Resolving power & detail is incredible.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #25 of 34
I have recently balanced my HD650s and I was impressed by the improvements in clairity and sound stage. I will soon try my AKG 701s balanced to see if they will impove in the same way.

I have the same feelings as you regarding the 701s I think some times that they need to be a little more refined less in you face. I think the central station can drive balanced headphones if it can you might want to give that a try.

Apr 17, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #26 of 34
To OP, I hope you do realize that vintage Stax SR-Lambda and adaptor combo only cost around $300, but you'll need a speaker amp or receiver to power it.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #27 of 34
hi all,

sorry it took so long for me to respond, but thank you all for your comments as they've given me a lot of comfort

moonboy, sorry to say but at the moment i dont really want to go STAX but someday yes no doubt - i have strange reasons...

slypher, im glad im not alone in the feeling about the K701 - balanced is a possible option i suppose, but part of me wants to try something new

adda, i have been interested in the K240DF for some time as they're supposed to be modified to sound like speakers (and kool bubba, is it right that i remember you writing that the DT48 were built to the same standard?) so they might just do the trick

kool bubba, you just make me want a DT48 - and it'd kill two birds with one stone as i do need a new work phone

and scooterboy - that's like the third suggestion for the RS-1 haha! $$ though...

i did send a PM to Uncle Erik as he owns all the phones i have an interest in, so i'm interested to hear what his views are based on what im looking for...

but it looks as if i might just go for the DT48E as they can double as a work phone...

kool bubba - any comments on the soundstage? i know it's not enormous, but i dont really need something too wide - i'd like good frontal imaging with a sense of some depth (more than the K701 at least)

thanks again everyone! i highly appreciate the feedback

Apr 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM Post #30 of 34
yes i think i've narrowed it down to:

HD600 + ATHM50

or

DT48E

comments? i'm leaning towards the DT48E, but could be swayed either way...

of course i could buy all 3...do a comparison...and return that which i dont like...eek...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back