Looking for a new set of Headphones. Detailed needs and info inside.
Jan 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BRSxIgnition

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi there. I've owned the Beats Studio (I was a noob back then), Audio Technica ATH-M50's, and SRH-840's, now the AIAIAI TMA-1's. I've been loving the bass kick (sub bass?), on the TMA-1's, but in other areas such as Clarity and Comfort, they're a bit more of a let down than a champion.

What I loved about the M50's was the value, the way it was good with so many genres, and the detailed bass.

What I loved about the SRH-840 was the clarity, detail, and balance overall.

What I loved about the TMA-1's was their deep bass and kick, but they were a bit too dark for me and my music, and lacked some of the clarity of the 840's.

I noticed this first when I went by my london drugs and noticed they had the 840's on a demo stand. I tried them out, then my TMA-1's. It had been about a year since I had heard the 840's, so I was blown away by how clear they sounded compared to my TMA-1's, and the bass that I loved with the TMA-1's was still there, not as sharp of a sub-bass kick, but still there, and much clearer.

I have thought about it and I'd like to sell my TMA-1's, I have the box and everything, so I will be putting up a sale for that soon. Anyway. Onto my needs. I would like to buy a new set of headphones/earphones/IEM's/Whatever-fits-my-needs-best.

In order of biggest need to least:

1. Clarity
  2. Deep Bass, Strong kick (I don't want a 'dark' headphone though!)
  3. Detail overall
  4. Does not Leak sound or Let too much sound in. (Noise Isolation and Noise Reduction)
  5. Portability is a concern, I would like to take these to college and on transit, or on walks etc. If possible.
  6. Preferably closed (Goes with "Does not leak down or Let too much sound in")
  7. Can be Full-size, On-ear, In-ear, or even IEM's. I just want the best headphones I can get.
  8. Max price is $250. 

Music I listen to includes (Bold are most listened to):

1. Rock, Piano, Techno, Dance, Pop, J-Rock, J-Pop, Orchestral.

So, for my needs, what are the best Full-size, On-Ear, In-Ear, or IEM heaphones I can buy under my price point?

Please remember to check my needs carefully as I have listed them all, thank you very much!

EDIT: AIAIAI TMA-1's for sale now here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/534874/aiaiai-tma-1-headphones-for-sale-comes-w-extra-straight-cable-everything-in-box

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2 of 15
It's nice to get some review on the TMA now that they're no longer the FOTM. :)

I think TF10 fits your need pretty well, it has the detail and clarity, is very balanced, portable, and isolates well. The price has also been discounted because of the Amazon deal from not too long ago.

However, fit, the warm signature, and the slightly recessed mids may drive people away from the TF10, so YMMV.

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 15

Quote:
It's nice to get some review on the TMA now that they're no longer the FOTM.
smily_headphones1.gif

I think TF10 fits your need pretty well, it has the detail and clarity, is very balanced, portable, and isolates well. The price has also been discounted because of the Amazon deal from not too long ago.

However, fit, the warm signature, and the slightly recessed mids may drive people away from the TF10, so YMMV.

All of the ones I've seen for that price have been "US ONLY", and I can't get any of them to agree for a sale to me. Also, not having used earphones as much as I would have liked to in the past, I don't know what kind of sound quality compared to the M50's and 840's I will get from the TF10's.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #4 of 15
It shouldn't be too difficult to find a US seller willing ship to Canada, since shipping cost is relatively the same.

I do own the M50s before, and I prefer TF10's sound signature over M50s. I find the M50's sound signature at times harsh and a bit unbalanced at times. TF10 has a smoother presentation that doesn't sacrifice the treble sparkle.

It's pretty difficult to relate TF10's sound signature to something else, try to find more reviews on them to see if you might like the sound signature or not.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
Quote:
If you recommend something strongly enough, please link me to a site where I can get it under my price-point here in Canada.

Just search on Ebay, there are numerous ones willing to ship to Canada that will still fall under your price point.

I would like to save some money if possible, doesn't hurt if people help each other out, right? Just asking if people could help pinpoint the best places to buy these from, as certain headphones are counterfiet and certain sellers are untrustworthy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Ultimate-Ears-TripleFi-10-Noise-Isolating-Earphones-/250747915492?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3a61bd8ce4#ht_7178wt_1139

That a good deal? What other phones should I be thinking of?

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #9 of 15
I would like to save some money if possible, doesn't hurt if people help each other out, right? Just asking if people could help pinpoint the best places to buy these from, as certain headphones are counterfiet and certain sellers are untrustworthy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Ultimate-Ears-TripleFi-10-Noise-Isolating-Earphones-/250747915492?pt=Other_MP3_Player_Accessories&hash=item3a61bd8ce4#ht_7178wt_1139

That a good deal? What other phones should I be thinking of?

You can always message other sellers that says they would only ship to the US, I'm sure most of them would agree to ship to Canada if you're willing to pay the difference in shipping.

You can always check Joker's threads for more information for a large array of IEM and portable headphone reviews. The recommendation of TF10 is just from my personal experience.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 15
RE262.

No idea where you'll get them from, sorry, but they sound ace and should put a smile on your face.

Mar 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #15 of 15
Hi! I'm in the same predicament as you and I'm trying to find a new set of headphones myself with pretty much the exact criteria you posted.  Right now for me I'm trying to choose between the TMA-1's and the HD25s.  I feel like the Hd25s will have better sound quality but I keep getting drawn back to the TMA-1s due to their design.  I'm going to go on a quest to find a place where I could try out both pairs of headphones and I'll be sure to post here if i get the chance to!  I would recommend looking at the HD25s based off of all the reviews i've been reading of it.  They seem to match the criteria you posted above.  If i get a chance to try them i'll be sure to let you know.

What are your opinions on the TMA-1s now that the "honeymoon" period is over?  I've been looking for a critical review of it but I kinda feel like many people are so awestruck by the amazing design they become willing to gloss over the details.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back