Looking for a Bluetooth headphone to listen to rock music (350$ USD max)
Sep 2, 2021 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MonstroMart

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I’m looking for a new wireless headphone. I have the Sennheiser RS 175 and i think they sound perfectly fine for my taste but i would like to buy a new headset with Bluetooth connectivity and hopefully something that doesn’t look as “bad” as the RS 175. It doesn’t need to have a mic and be able to answer call from a phone. I’m looking for a closed-back headphone with noise reduction. I’ve never tried active noise reduction i’m open to try but i’m not sure i’ll like it. Noise reduction is more a plus value than a requirement. My budget is 400$ CAD so roughly 320$ USD. I had bad experience with Bluetooth headset in the past so that’s why i’m asking for advice. I’ll be using them mainly with my Samsung Galaxy S9 while stationary and my computer both have Bluetooth 5 (my computer via the Asus USB-BT500 dongle). I’m mostly listening to rock music. Smashing Pumpkins, Offspring, Rammstein, Linkin Park, … i like to not have too much bass but still enough of it so rock music sounds like it is actual rock music.

I’m not very picky when it comes to headphone and certainly not a connoisseur (hence why the RS 175 is fine for me) but i really can’t stand the cheap ones where it sounds like the music is coming from a tin can or the ones tuned for bass lovers. I’m looking at the V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex Edition, Sony WH-1000XM4, Sennheiser HD 450BT and Sennheiser Momentum 3 but all of them have bad reviews. So if anyone have experience with one of those models and rock music i’d like your opinion about them. I’m also open to other models not listed here i’m looking at those mostly because i’ve been satisfied by those companies in the past. Ty in advance for the help.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 5
Have you looked at the Drop THX Panda? It’s $400 new, but I’m sure you can find it for around $300-$325 used. From what I’ve read they seem to have the best sound quality in terms of Bluetooth headphones. Also, they just look like a generic black set of headphones.
For the active noise cancelation I’d probably look at the Sony WH-1000MX4 or MX3 if you want to save some money. I owned the MX3 and they were decent headphones. I mainly listen to rock music as well and didn’t have any issues. There are better headphones for the same price, but the Bluetooth and noise cancelation is why they are bought.

Sep 2, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 5
I have the Bose quiet comfort 35 II's and I really like them. Never listened to them on blue tooth so I can speak to that. I normally use them wired. However the noise canceling works great and they sound really good. There are several other makers that have similar products in the same price range. I would suggest if you have a big box store like best buy or whatever it would be where you live to go in and just give different models a listen.

I am not a huge fan of Bose and their sound, especially with home products like their lifestyle systems and what not. But I will be honest I was quite impressed with the headphones. I have heard good things about the sony's too. Another option might be some wireless IEMs. I didn't think I would care for the noise canceling feature and it would be gimmicky but I will be honest I really like it. If its done right. I have seen reviews and some don't do such a great job. Mine work really well. Like they are so quiet I can hear the blood rush through my head and it freaks me out. And I can wear them while mowing the lawn with a big zero turn mower and it drowns it out like wearing hearing protection. Down side is they got pulled off my head once and I almost ran them over with the mower! Along with my digital police scanner. That would have been an exensive oopsie.

Oh, you can run the Bose wired as well, that is how I run them. They even work in passive mode if the battery runs out. They need a lot more power to sound good that way though.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi!

I’m looking for a new wireless headphone. I have the Sennheiser RS 175 and i think they sound perfectly fine for my taste but i would like to buy a new headset with Bluetooth connectivity and hopefully something that doesn’t look as “bad” as the RS 175. It doesn’t need to have a mic and be able to answer call from a phone. I’m looking for a closed-back headphone with noise reduction. I’ve never tried active noise reduction i’m open to try but i’m not sure i’ll like it. Noise reduction is more a plus value than a requirement. My budget is 400$ CAD so roughly 320$ USD. I had bad experience with Bluetooth headset in the past so that’s why i’m asking for advice. I’ll be using them mainly with my Samsung Galaxy S9 while stationary and my computer both have Bluetooth 5 (my computer via the Asus USB-BT500 dongle). I’m mostly listening to rock music. Smashing Pumpkins, Offspring, Rammstein, Linkin Park, … i like to not have too much bass but still enough of it so rock music sounds like it is actual rock music.

I’m not very picky when it comes to headphone and certainly not a connoisseur (hence why the RS 175 is fine for me) but i really can’t stand the cheap ones where it sounds like the music is coming from a tin can or the ones tuned for bass lovers. I’m looking at the V-Moda Crossfade 2 Wireless Codex Edition, Sony WH-1000XM4, Sennheiser HD 450BT and Sennheiser Momentum 3 but all of them have bad reviews. So if anyone have experience with one of those models and rock music i’d like your opinion about them. I’m also open to other models not listed here i’m looking at those mostly because i’ve been satisfied by those companies in the past. Ty in advance for the help.
I'm going to recommend the Grado GW100 v2. I've had a bose QC and tried the Sony WH-1000XM4, and the grado is much better than both to my ears. Plus light weight and comfortable. Not noise canceling and they are open back, so that has to be considered. But they are my go tos when I need to move around untethered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back