Looking for <$50, over ear, for office use and slip profile
Apr 5, 2011 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

flech4

New Head-Fier
Hey Folks,

This is my first post. Just want to start off by saying I did do some diligent searching and reading prior to posting. I spent a good amount of time evaluating this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-74-portable-headphones-reviewed-audio-technica-ath-sq5-ath-fc700-03-29

It was very informative, but I need something more specialized. Now, let me start off by saying I am no audiophile or "head-fi" as you guys put it. However, I do love tech/gadgets... 

Price aside for a moment, this is exactly what I want:
-Slim profile (I like the profile of the Audio-Technica ATH-ES7)
-Good quality sound
   -I listen to music ranging from dance, hip hop, pop, classic rock
   -I listen to news/podcasts as well
-I enjoy bass, but more than anything, clean sound
-Don't want to draw attention to my head as I'm going to be using these at my office
-I need to be able to hear people if they call my name from 6ft away... 
-I don't care too much about isolating outside noise, since it's generally really quiet in my area
-I don't crank up the volume, usually have it at low-mid volume--when I'm really in the mood, right in the middle so I can drown outside noise

Okay those are the traits I can think of... now my price was set for $50 because I'm no audiophile, this is all new to me. I've been using a pair of Sony phones that are 8 years old (some old sony clip phones with changable face plates). The sound sucks... I have a pair of Sennheiser CX300's that I use at the gym (haha, maybe you can help suggest another pair in another thread), which I love, but these isolate most all outside noise and I don't want that... 

I might consider adjusting my budget if there is something that perfectly fits my needs... I figure, I spend most of my day at work anyway and a good amount of time is spent working w/ my headphones on.

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 3
Portapros sound like they would be a nice fit... They're not too bulky on the head, and they don't isolate sound, so you can't hear others. Under $50 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back