Looking for $100-150 headphones
Nov 28, 2010 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

stuartg13

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking to get a pair of full-sze headphones to use. I mainly play music out of my smartphone (droid x), it sounds pretty good on it's own but I'm tired of my old iPod ones. I'm a college student so my music time is split between walking in crowds or studying at the library, so I need something that has little sound leakage. Closed-back, I'm guessing, would be best. I also listen to mostly hip-hop so bass is important to me but I don't want anything overpowering. I want to stay within the $100-150 range. Any suggestions?

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm a big Grado fan so I would immediately recommend the Alessandro MS1, but Grado leaks too much sound in and out. I've heard good things about Audio Technica M50 and it's closer to $100 than $150 on Amazon. Apparently work ok unamplified as well.

One I can surely recommend NOT getting is the Sony Extra Bass series. Tried in Bestbuy yesterday...was swimming in yucky muddy crap pool of sound :/

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #4 of 16
In terms of budget, I was in a similar situation and I went with the ATHm50s and really havent looked back. Theyre definitely leak proof so thats a plus.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
I'm a big Grado fan so I would immediately recommend the Alessandro MS1, but Grado leaks too much sound in and out. I've heard good things about Audio Technica M50 and it's closer to $100 than $150 on Amazon. Apparently work ok unamplified as well.

One I can surely recommend NOT getting is the Sony Extra Bass series. Tried in Bestbuy yesterday...was swimming in yucky muddy crap pool of sound :/

You know nothing until you get them home or at least onto an ipod, the source they use in the stores is terrible.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
I have one more question. Is it really necessary to have a portable amp? I can't really see the need for it.

For a ATH-M50 or a AH-D1000, this is not really necessary. Impedance is not high with those two, so your volume doesn't suffer much.

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #9 of 16
I do advice a LOD cable with a very cheap FiiO E5 though, when having a ipod/iphone.

Not because of the amplification needed, but because then you use your clean line out instead of the very coloured headphones 3.5 mm.out.
It'll give you a noticable improvement in sound.

...just my 2 cents.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 16

Quote:
Quote:

You know nothing until you get them home or at least onto an ipod, the source they use in the stores is terrible.

+1 Agreed... Even the Walmart display sounds relatively better than the B-Buy stand.

Nov 29, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #11 of 16
I have a modified pair of HD555 that have served me very well. They come under your price range, but I highly recommend them.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 16
I tried out the Extra Bass ones at a Sony store near me. They didn't sound too bad, but I would have liked to plus my own music into them and see what it sounded like. Does anyone have any reviews for the Sony Extra Bass headphones?

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 16
If you decide on the Sony XB, stick with either the XB500 or XB700 and skip the XB300. The XB300 aren't that great. Just like to add my little opinion.

Nov 30, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #14 of 16
I was using my ipod, sorry I was unclear. You are right about trying them amped though. I will go back with my LOD and Predator and give them another proper try.

Nov 30, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #15 of 16
I will also recommend the M50. In your budget, don't leak much (unless they're cranked!), very comfortable, fold, have carry bag, are easily powered by iPod, iPhone, etc... and... sound great for all kinds of music.

--- end of rant ---

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back