Long time ER-4P user wanting advice on new in-ear monitors
May 17, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #47 of 64
I've used my Arrow amplifier with ER4S and I do not liked the result. This amp is very neutral and this headphone needs a warmer source/amplifier.

In terms of portable audio player, the best result was with my first HifiMan HM-601. As for desktop device, the best combination was the HM-801 (DAC) + iBasso P3+ Heron amp and Ety ER4S. With this setup, the Ety easily beats some of the best full-size headphones in the market. Trust me, it's unbelievable.

Cheers,

Peter

May 18, 2011 at 8:09 AM Post #48 of 64
Well I just received my E5, but without the rest of the gear (LOD, ER-4P>S converter). 
I'm not entirely certain whether it has made a difference to the sound response yet. When switching over and testing between bare and amped, it is hard to know if there is a real difference or a psychological difference, so I have tried to bare that in mind. 
Intuitively, there seems to be a little more brightness, or perhaps tightness, in certain bass tones and treble tones. However, the psychological side of things is putting me off of my intuitive perception. When I listen with that in mind, I perceive little or no difference. 
I would be interested to know what I think at the end of the day and would also like to hear the difference with an LOD and no converter, then finally a converter and the LOD.
I will relay the information back and really try to be as objective and fair as possible. If anything, I've found the money well spent simply for the experiment, even if it concludes negatively!

May 18, 2011 at 8:53 AM Post #49 of 64
I could be wrong, but there really no difference between the HF5 and ER4. What exists is a precise control on the part of Etymotic in getting the transducers of ER4 operate within very strict parameters. In the HF5 there is no such concern.

A story: I recently sent my Etymotic ER4P to replace the cable from "P" version to "S" version. Once they received the headphones, they sent me a message saying that the two transducers were with severe distortions and needed to be replaced. The result of testing was a distortion of 2.5% in the left transducer and 3.5% in the another! Result: After receiving my headphone I do not notice any sound changes between the old and the new one

This is the Etymotic and I love it! : o)

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Well I just received my E5, but without the rest of the gear (LOD, ER-4P>S converter). 
I'm not entirely certain whether it has made a difference to the sound response yet. When switching over and testing between bare and amped, it is hard to know if there is a real difference or a psychological difference, so I have tried to bare that in mind. 
Intuitively, there seems to be a little more brightness, or perhaps tightness, in certain bass tones and treble tones. However, the psychological side of things is putting me off of my intuitive perception. When I listen with that in mind, I perceive little or no difference. 
I would be interested to know what I think at the end of the day and would also like to hear the difference with an LOD and no converter, then finally a converter and the LOD.
I will relay the information back and really try to be as objective and fair as possible. If anything, I've found the money well spent simply for the experiment, even if it concludes negatively!

May 18, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #50 of 64
They're different drivers. Impedance and effeciencies between the 4p and HF5 are quite different. The 4p is crisper more etched while the 5 is more balanced but not as fast sounding. You're definitely correct about them being a great company.
bigsmile_face.gif

May 18, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #51 of 64

Quote:
They're different drivers. Impedance and effeciencies between the 4p and HF5 are quite different. The 4p is crisper more etched while the 5 is more balanced but not as fast sounding. You're definitely correct about them being a great company.
bigsmile_face.gif

I thought they were the same drivers, just that the HF5 were sort of 'second sorting' and that the impedance and sensitivity are different because of different resistor arrangements (or whatever the ER4s have in the 'pod')

May 19, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #54 of 64
It's been a while since I've heard the ER4, but I would basically describe the UM3X as an ER4 with bass 
etysmile.gif

May 20, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #55 of 64
In fact, I think it's a little more than that.

The Westone UM3X, using a Cowon J3, for example, will run in 85% of its total capacity. The ER4S, with the same source, will run in 50% of its total capacity.

One major difference between the two headphones concerns the construction of the sound stage/musical image. The UM3X, in this regard, is like the Westone 3, where the sound seems to come from two speakers placed close to the head. This creates a very natural sound presentation, but suffers in the construction of the musical image. Although you can "point" all the instruments and identify where it comes from the sound, the positioning of the whole sound is diffuse. The sound floats from the headphones to your brain.

The ER4S, even using the J3, is a monster in the construction of the sound image. With this headphone, it is almost possible to identify the size of the environment where the music was recorded and the positioning of the band members is perfectly rendered.

I say once again that if the intention is to use a portable DAP, without external amplification, the right choice is the Westone UM3X. It's hard not to fall in love with this setup. However, if usage is more serious and you will use a high-end source and headphone amplifier, the Etymotic ER4S will operate near its maximum capacity, virtually destroying the Westone UM3X. With this setup, you will be virtually interacting with the band in the studio or on stage at a live show.

Ultimately, the choice between the two headphones will depend more on the setup you have at the moment, because both are spectacular.

I like to keep both right next to me... :xf_eek:)

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
It's been a while since I've heard the ER4, but I would basically describe the UM3X as an ER4 with bass 
etysmile.gif

May 20, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #56 of 64
I really would love the chance to actually listen to a number of in ear monitors, which seems to be a near impossibility without actually buying them, at least here in Suffolk!
I wonder, with a single microdriver, whether sounds are 'cancelled' and instead, a single amalgamated signal is produced? I understand that certain frequencies in reality are effectively cancelled by others as well, so would wonder, if the above case is true, whether the same amalgamated signal would be produced by IEMs with multiple drivers anyway? My suspicion is no, although I cannot logically work out why I'd think that. Any information from the experts please?
Just got my LOD yesterday, which definitely produces a cleaner signal. I noticed something strange actually: out of curiosity, I used the built in EQ on my mp3 to see how it affected the signal and whether it would be crisp. The result was unexpected- the sound seemed to pulse, constantly attenuating. It might have had a possible connection to certain frequencies i.e. bass heavy parts almost seemed to cut or reduce the signal volume. Like a noise gate? Do not take the frequency dependent statement as gospel though, because it may not have been that. The pulse, however, certainly existed. Could any of you experts also explain what this might have been and why? Were certain signals too powerful for my IEMs and the amp was cutting them off to avoid damage?

May 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #58 of 64
In fact, I think it's a little more than that.

The Westone UM3X, using a Cowon J3, for example, will run in 85% of its total capacity. The ER4S, with the same source, will run in 50% of its total capacity.

One major difference between the two headphones concerns the construction of the sound stage/musical image. The UM3X, in this regard, is like the Westone 3, where the sound seems to come from two speakers placed close to the head. This creates a very natural sound presentation, but suffers in the construction of the musical image. Although you can "point" all the instruments and identify where it comes from the sound, the positioning of the whole sound is diffuse. The sound floats from the headphones to your brain.

The ER4S, even using the J3, is a monster in the construction of the sound image. With this headphone, it is almost possible to identify the size of the environment where the music was recorded and the positioning of the band members is perfectly rendered.

I say once again that if the intention is to use a portable DAP, without external amplification, the right choice is the Westone UM3X. It's hard not to fall in love with this setup. However, if usage is more serious and you will use a high-end source and headphone amplifier, the Etymotic ER4S will operate near its maximum capacity, virtually destroying the Westone UM3X. With this setup, you will be virtually interacting with the band in the studio or on stage at a live show.

Ultimately, the choice between the two headphones will depend more on the setup you have at the moment, because both are spectacular.

I like to keep both right next to me... :xf_eek:)

Cheers,

Peter

Interesting comments. When using the J3 I think I actually prefer the er4s over the westone 4. :)

May 20, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #59 of 64
LOL it's funny to watch how this thread has expanded in breadth since the beginning...

BTW, it's good to see you're coming along, Koorosh... I hope my suggestions were helpful.

I was trying to go from the slant that you wanted essentially a similar sound from your ER4P, but a bit more 'enhanced' and with slightly more low-end drive. You may in the end find that perhaps a new IEM (hence, new sound signature) is to your liking, but hopefully these suggestions will achieve their goals. I've never actually listened to the E5, so I don't know how well it will cope with the P/S converter when attached in-line.

May 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #60 of 64
You're suggestions have definitely been helpful Tomscy2000. I really enjoy learning in more detail about this area: sound and sound technology is a brilliant area. 
I would very much hope that one or more of you could explain to me my above questions in good detail. I know relatively little about this subject and would really benefit from solid lessons that assume I know little of the subject! :)
In the end, if the ER-4P>S converter doesn't bring what I am hoping for, then I would agree that a set of IEMs that approach sound in a different way would be best. 
Concerning one of the above questions that I raised about all sounds in a single driver being amalgamated into one single signal; I guess really what I'm saying is that if this is the case, perhaps multiple drivers is what I'm looking for. I recall many electronic instruments only being able to cope with a certain number of sounds before another signal is unable to be produced for example. Is this a similar case in IEMs with a single driver? Are these missing, individual sounds what I endeavour for? Is this what the perceived lack of response is in the sound?
Forgive me for my many questions, but I really love to learn! Thank you to all of you for what insights you have already given too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back