Long time ER-4P user wanting advice on new in-ear monitors
May 13, 2011 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Koorosh

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
           I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I'm repeating questions, but I feel this is at least quite specific!

I have had my ER-4P's for at least two years now. Concerning previous earphones at £40 or less, they are absolutely wonderful. However, I think I would like something better.

Currently, I use them mainly on my mp3 player, which is a Sony model (NWZ something or other), with usually high quality files. 
I have found Etymotics perhaps a little flatter than I would hope for, but the clarity of sound has been greatly appreciated.

My wonder is this: how different would my listening experience be if I bought a portable amplifier suitable for daily travel, walking from place to place?

Is it a case of sticking with what I have and getting an amp or buying a better set of IEMs? I am overwhelmed by the number of sets out there, with no experience (and likely to remain that way with the lack of suppliers where I am) of other monitors.

Can any of you advise me on this matter? The last time I'd looked, Shure SE535s were the pinnacle of universal fits in terms of reviews and price. I see much better information from here, but I've found it hard to find comparative information on ER-4Ps and other monitors.

Amplified ER-4Ps or new monitors?

Thank you,

Koorosh

May 13, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #3 of 64
If you're used to what the ER4-P gives you, it'll be really hard to duplicate the sound signature you've grown to love and have it be "better". If it was possible, I think Etymotic would have done it before anybody else with their experience!

Amps haven't shown to do crap for me with the choices of IEM I make these days if my MP3 player has a half decent built-in amp (still rocking the original Zune for this reason). The original ER4 was out in the era of cassette players and today's design isn't radically different in my opinion. You're better off buying more IEM's up until you get to the beefier multi driver customs that do benefit from an amp.

Although I can vouch for anything Westone. Amazing company, my UM1's flat out had me on my ass wondering why I cycled through all the Sennheiser CX300'B's that kept breaking on me. That cord is tough! At your price range and considering what you can get for the ER-4's if you want to get rid of them, I'd recommend the Westone 3/UM3X as Scrane mentioned. They're really good for a neutral sound but they're also fun!

Are you a fun listener or an analytical one. I usually do stuff while listening so I don't have the concentration to "study" tracks so I tend to like really bright and fun headphones to remind me that I'm listening to music and not noise while I'm doing homework. The ER4's get pegged for being analytical and boring sometimes but I think the accuracy is what makes them so fun, it's unreal how close to real live music they sound if you've got a track that was recorded to sound natural!

You should give Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10's a try. They're going to be pretty "exciting" compared to what you're used to! The tonal accuracy isn't there because the highs and lows are forward, but the detail is there in spades!

May 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 64
I would say that I'm both analytical and a fun listener, so probably a happy medium between real audio clarity and beautiful tones would be ideal! I see a lot of people rate Earsonics. What are these like with respect to the others that both of you have mentioned?
Oh, and how much would I be able to get for my ER-4Ps?
:)

May 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #6 of 64
ER4's do benefit tremendously from amping... a lot of people don't even recommend using them without amps.  I would personally get an amp and stick to them if you like the sound.  
ER4's are very top tier headphones, triple.fi 10's and SE535's as well as many other triple balanced armature universals more really aren't steps up from the ER4's, they simply have different sound signatures.  I really don't think they would be able to compete with the ER4 in terms of detail and clarity although they have their own strong suits.

I usually see ER4's for sale in the trade forums for ~170 usd.

May 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #7 of 64
If you're looking for an enhanced version of sound out of your existing ER4Ps, you can get a 75 ohm impedance adapter that will effectively transform your ER4P into an ER4S, and get an amplifier. Apparently the APureSound recable is also a good upgrade.

If you're looking for a new IEM that is slightly similar to the ER4P but has a more aggressive sound, you can try the DBA-02 (or the upcoming Brainwavz B2)

I love the UM3x, but they're very different from the ER4P. Both are neutral and detail-oriented, but go about it in completely different ways.

May 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #8 of 64
I certainly love the clarity of tone in the ER-4Ps but I have found them a little flatter than I would hope for. My hope was that instead of buying a new set of IEMs that a portable amplifier would enhance some of the frequency responses. I have a simple equalizer on my mp3 that allows me to customise the sound to my given choice, but it still feels like my monitors aren't producing what they potentially can. The bass I have grown accustomed to enhancing slightly, but with that done the bass feels muddier than I'd hoped. When I plug them into a PC with a soundcard, I have certainly found that the monitors seem to play out closer to the response that I've been looking for. 

If I get the cable that effectively turns my ER-4Ps into ER-4S, along with a portable amp, what can I hope to gain in sound and what would I lose from what I have now? What also would alter if I bought just a portable amp?

:)

May 13, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 64
GR10 would be my first choice.  It is exactly the sound I would expect if Etymotic came out with a new upgraded IEM.

W2 also reminds me of the Ety sound with a bit more color and bottom end.  Also a bit less $$ than GR10.

May 13, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 64
I don't own the ER4P, so I don't know how well they tolerate EQing, but word is that they tolerate it quite well. You may want to look into an amp that has a 'bass boost' feature (e.g. the new FiiO E11). If you're looking for the ER4P to be more lively in the low end, using an amp with bass boost will get you better sound quality than if you used the built-in equalizer out of your PMP.

Search the forum for threads on the ER4P and ER4S. They will contain information about how the impedance adapter will affect the sound. I've listened to the ER4P and had a very short experience with the ER4S. In short, you'll get an increased soundstage, and wider dynamics. Just about everyone agrees the ER4S is a better IEM, just not very good unamped.

May 13, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #11 of 64
Audeo PFEs are like Etys but smoother and more musical IMHO. That is with the Shure Olive tips in my ears, so YMMV. I own both. The PFEs are a little cheaper too. 

The E530 is very good in the midrange department but it's not like the ER4 at all, so keep that in mind. The highs are rolled. But the midrange is incredible and midrange is the most important aspect IMO. The ER4 and E530 are good complimentary headphones. But I don't necessarily think the E530 is much better than the Ety just different. 

May 13, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 64
Another vote for sticking with your ER4.

The addition of a p to s adapter and amplifier are good suggestions.

You could also think about upgrading your source. The Cowon J3 has a wonderful eq and can really make your ER4 come alive.

May 13, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #13 of 64
I have to say that based on what you've all said, that a portable amplifier and the wire to convert to ER-4S sounds the option to go for. I wonder, are there portable amps that aren't too ridiculously priced that have an equalizer?

May 13, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #15 of 64

Quote:
I have to say that based on what you've all said, that a portable amplifier and the wire to convert to ER-4S sounds the option to go for. I wonder, are there portable amps that aren't too ridiculously priced that have an equalizer?

If what you seek is a more meaty bass, this will not be the solution.

You've mentioned both Shure and Earsonics in your posts earlier.
Both will give you a more fleshed out and fun bottom end, without being over bearing or ruining the rest of the spectrum.  Both have stood the test of time and proven to be more than just fads, and both will let you avoid the nausea it is having to lug around an amplifier wherever you go.

I thought I could add some graphs:

This last one (50Hz square wave) is a good indicator of bass quality. The closer to a perfect square wave the IEM produces, the better. As such the large overshoot and steeper slope in the two Etys' case is not a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back